Possible Salary Cap Loophole

So we all know that Pegula pulled a fast one on the NFL by buying the Buffalo Bills, despite owning the Buffalo Sabres in the NHL, which was against NFL rules at the time. He's obviously a slick businessman. I was talking with @BringBackFergy about this, and we came up with a genius solution. Here's what we need to do. Sign Tre White to a $15 million contract. Then, Pegula, seperately from the Buffalo Bills, signs him to an additional $10-15 million dollar a year endorsement deal for the 716 Bar. Saving cap space, and still giving the man what he wants. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

So we all know that Pegula pulled a fast one on the NFL by buying the Buffalo Bills, despite owning the Buffalo Sabres in the NHL, which was against NFL rules at the time. He's obviously a slick businessman. I was talking with @BringBackFergy about this, and we came up with a genius solution. Here's what we need to do. Sign Tre White to a $15 million contract. Then, Pegula, seperately from the Buffalo Bills, signs him to an additional $10-15 million dollar a year endorsement deal for the 716 Bar. Saving cap space, and still giving the man what he wants. 

Worked for TB12. Why not?

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I hope this is a joke - the rules were modified in 1997 to allow duel ownership - when the then Miami Dolphins owner - also owned the Marlins.  He purchased the Dolphins in 1993 and waited 4 years to get full control.

Since then multiple owners - have more than one team.

The idea above works for the most crooked franchise in the NFL.  I hope that team rots in a 25 year purgatory where they fail at everything they touch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I hope this is a joke - the rules were modified in 1997 to allow duel ownership - when the then Miami Dolphins owner - also owned the Marlins.  He purchased the Dolphins in 1993 and waited 4 years to get full control.

Since then multiple owners - have more than one team.

The idea above works for the most crooked franchise in the NFL.  I hope that team rots in a 25 year purgatory where they fail at everything they touch.

I believe you have to own the teams in the same city which is what made it ok for the Pegulas, but I think that the Jacobs' family would have had to sell the Bruins since they are in a different city.

Also this is a pretty commonly discussed loophole. Im sure its done all over the place.

Edited by jletha

3 minutes ago, jletha said:

I believe you have to own the teams in the same city which is what made it ok for the Pegulas, but I think that the Jacobs' family would have had to sell the Bruins since they are in a different city.

Also this is a pretty commonly discussed loophole. Im sure its done all over the place.

Exactly!

55 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Tre and his agent are in no rush to sign.  He’s going to set the CB market whether hi signs with Buffalo or another team.  He might as well set the market in 2021 or 2022 when the market is higher 

12 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Tre and his agent are in no rush to sign.  He’s going to set the CB market whether hi signs with Buffalo or another team.  He might as well set the market in 2021 or 2022 when the market is higher 

Yup. Tre would be silly to sign now. He’ll get significantly more next year. 

25 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Yup. Tre would be silly to sign now. He’ll get significantly more next year. 

Not if he gets injured. Signing now would mean a little less money, but it would give him more security. In a violent sport like football, security has a value.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, billykay said:

Not if he gets injured. Signing now would mean a little less money, but it would give him more security. In a violent sport like football, security has a value.

I understand that, but these guys are young and view themselves as invincible. It’s a reasonable gamble. 

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

1 he didn’t illegally buy the team. If in the same market the owner of another team can buy the nfl team.

2. You can’t circumvent the cap that way. Nil owners own other businesses. All of them Gould do that.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I hope this is a joke

What do you mean?

41 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

2. You can’t circumvent the cap that way. Nil owners own other businesses. All of them Gould do that

Don't bring Robbie Gould into this discussion.

Edited by eball

2 hours ago, eball said:

What do you mean?

Don't bring Robbie Gould into this discussion.

I mean the Pegula’s followed the NFL established rules when purchasing the franchise.  They were allowed based on a 1997 rule change to own an NFL franchise and an NHL franchise in the same city or another non-NFL market. 

He did not as was suggested - “pull a fast one” on the NFL.

What I can’t tell is the entire post a joke and this discussion worthless or was it legitimate and uninformed.  

I am assuming the 2nd half is a joke about Tre’s contract, but you just never know with this board.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I mean the Pegula’s followed the NFL established rules when purchasing the franchise.  They were allowed based on a 1997 rule change to own an NFL franchise and an NHL franchise in the same city or another non-NFL market. 

He did not as was suggested - “pull a fast one” on the NFL.

What I can’t tell is the entire post a joke and this discussion worthless or was it legitimate and uninformed.  

I am assuming the 2nd half is a joke about Tre’s contract, but you just never know with this board.

The only reason the Pegulas could purchase both the Sabres and Bills is because they took the indoor lacrosse Bandits as a throw-in. Everybody knows this. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Thats cute and all but isn't Kim the "owner" of the Bills? 

I believe she is the one that wanted to own the Bills and seems to the be the FACE of ownership, and in all honesty she's been great for the organization.