Josh Allen "Prove it" Season In Year 3

I am a Josh Allen fan.  I believe that he has the physical gifts to be a generational quarterback.  I also am aware of his weaknesses.

Now that Josh has one of the best trio starting wide receivers in the league, what does he have to do to show that he is the Bills franchise quarterback?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't think it's necessary to parse this, myself.

I'd say something like ... improve significantly and improve more as the season goes along. Be among the top half of all starters in 2020 and hopefully even a bit higher than that.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

A better job putting up points. If Singletary is the player we hope, if JA is the player we hope, adding Diggs, Brown, and Beasley should get us into or very close to the top 10 in scoring 25ish points per game (up from 19). I think asking for about 230-240 yards through the air per game is reasonable, right in the Cousins, Fitz range. I am not going to jump into QBR, 300 yard games, or completion percentage. If he can throw for about 235 per game, and we can score one more touchdown per game, the rest of the numbers will follow.

Just for perspective, my ask isn't crazy in regards to rankings. 20th in yards per game and 12th in points per game. It is a low bar, but I think that is all the output this offense needs to put the Bills firmly in the conversation as a top 10 team. 

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

A better job putting up points. If Singletary is the player we hope, if JA is the player we hope, adding Diggs, Brown, and Beasley should get us into or very close to the top 10 in scoring 25ish points per game (up from 19). I think asking for about 230-240 yards through the air per game is reasonable, right in the Cousins, Fitz range. I am not going to jump into QBR, 300 yard games, or completion percentage. If he can throw for about 235 per game, and we can score one more touchdown per game, the rest of the numbers will follow.

Just for perspective, my ask isn't crazy in regards to rankings. 20th in yards per game and 12th in points per game. It is a low bar, but I think that is all the output this offense needs to put the Bills firmly in the conversation as a top 10 team. 

We were tied for a top 8 team last year.  

17 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We were tied for a top 8 team last year.  

A few things here: 
1. There were some just criticisms of this team last year that left them our of firmly being considered a top 10 team. Soft schedule, ability to put points on the board consistently, can the defense keep up with a top offense. 

2. 10 other teams pick after the Bills this year. So it is 11th. They are picking 11th because (seen above) The offense had a number of misfires in the 2nd half where they couldn't put points on the board and the defense could not stop a high powered Houston offense in the second half. 

3. This one is more philosophical, but I really don't put a ton (although some) stock in the idea "Top 10" in the NFL somehow means you are elite. There are only 32 teams. You are in the top 1/3rd, which is good but there is a lot of variance. What if you were a top 10 sales rep at your company? Sounds great, but the difference between being a top 10 rep at Johnson and Johnson where they have 1000's of reps is much different than being top 10 at your local car dealership where maybe there are 30-40. I get it, these guy are already in the 99th percentile at what they do in their sport. But they aren't competing at those levels anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

That we shouldn't draft a new QB next year to avoid paying him $30+ mil a year. 

lmao @ the idea of drafting a new QB next year

there are maybe 10 people who think that'd be a good idea and they're all on this messageboard

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

lmao @ the idea of drafting a new QB next year

there are maybe 10 people who think that'd be a good idea and they're all on this messageboard

If Josh is bottom 5 in most passing categories again do you stand pat at QB?

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Dont care.   Win baby.  

If he does what it takes to get us 10 to 12 wins and into the playoffs I could care less about stats.  Matt ryan and matt Stafford have nice stats.  Hows that working out for then. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jrober38 said:

You mean once I think for like 3 seconds about how he wouldn't have been 'bottom 5 in most passing categories' if his receivers had dropped his passes at just an average NFL rate? Yeah pretty easy