Thruway, minimum VISA charge

eSJayDee

So as some of you know, the NYS Thruway is "closed" for cash business.  As such, they record your license & will bill you.  I took the Thruway 2x last nite, I think 40¢ & going home $1.05.

Obviously if they're billed separately, it makes no sense to pay 45¢ or whatever a stamp costs to collect 40. 

But either way, I'm wondering if there's a minimum charge to process a VISA transaction, like maybe 50¢?  (I seem to recall someone "spamming" a charity (Westboro Baptist Church?)  by giving the numerous 1¢ donations, and having it cost them $)

Of course it being gov't efficiency, they'd prolly pay the 45 to collect 40 anyway.

Get the EZ pas. Use your  debit crd to put $25 in the account.  When it gets low, it adds $25 to your account.  Besides by next year, the tolls takers are gone. Then everyone without an EZ pass will get the bill.

• Like (+1) 3

My son recently got a bill from Mass. for tolls based on his license plate. He goes on the Mass Pike a few times a year, and the bill is usually at least a few dollars.  This time the toll was 90 cents, and the processing fee was 60 cents.  The weird thing was that he wasn’t in Mass. on the date of the activity; the bill was a mistake.  He just paid the $1.50 rather than fight it.  

3 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

So as some of you know, the NYS Thruway is "closed" for cash business.  As such, they record your license & will bill you.  I took the Thruway 2x last nite, I think 40¢ & going home $1.05.

Obviously if they're billed separately, it makes no sense to pay 45¢ or whatever a stamp costs to collect 40. 

But either way, I'm wondering if there's a minimum charge to process a VISA transaction, like maybe 50¢?  (I seem to recall someone "spamming" a charity (Westboro Baptist Church?)  by giving the numerous 1¢ donations, and having it cost them $)

Of course it being gov't efficiency, they'd prolly pay the 45 to collect 40 anyway.

Several local shops require a minimum ($10/$15) in order to use a card. My understanding is that is a violation of the agreement merchants make to accept the card, but I might be wrong. I believe at one time it was anyway. Then again, I can charge a $0.50 item at a 7 Eleven, for example. I have to believe it is related to agreement made with the processor of their transactions. I'm thinking there HAS to be a way these companies, with a lot of little transactions, make this work financially or they would stop making these transactions.

3 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

wait... you think NYS is going to absorb processing fees?

hysterical.gif.fdbffddd052a589cd470e49f016973a5.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My son recently got a bill from Mass. for tolls based on his license plate. He goes on the Mass Pike a few times a year, and the bill is usually at least a few dollars.  This time the toll was 90 cents, and the processing fee was 60 cents.  The weird thing was that he wasn’t in Mass. on the date of the activity; the bill was a mistake.  He just paid the $1.50 rather than fight it.  

The EZ Pass can be used in I think a dozen states, MA included.

4 minutes ago, Wacka said:

The EZ Pass can be used in I think a dozen states, MA included.

That is true.  I use it Mass. often.  Why my son hasn’t gotten an ezpass for himself is a big mystery.  His fiancé has one, but he doesn’t. It’s on the list of things that I periodically bug him about.

Why my son hasn’t gotten an ezpass for himself is a big mystery.

At least when I looked into it a few yrs ago, they usurped some sort "bridge fee" monthly.  So, although you saved a few pennies each time you used it, cuz of that fee, unless you used it a moderate amount, it was more expensive than just paying cash. I'll be danged if I voluntarily give NYS more $ than I already do.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

That's what it said on their website.  You'll be charged just the toll. AND they'll be mailing you the bill. (You then pay online.)

just to redress this... i'm guessing you are slightly misinformed.

New York Thruway tolls: Either get E-ZPass or pay a lot more in 2021

ALBANY - The Thruway Authority made it pretty clear: Either you get E-ZPass over the next year or you'll pay extra — a lot extra.

The agency that oversees the 570-mile Thruway voted Thursday to implement higher tolls on drivers who do not convert to E-ZPass by 2021.

A 30% toll increase will be added to drivers' bills who go through soon-to-be installed cashless toll gantries and do not have E-ZPass. The bill, with the higher tolls and $2 monthly surcharge, will be mailed to drivers' homes who do not switch to the tags. ...

NYS Thruway toll increases approved for some, starting in 2021

... The Thruway will mail bills to those drivers. Those who get the bills would also pay a $2 monthly fee. ...

just to reiterate, there is no such thing as free every/anytime the government is involved. that is not in their business model.

Edited by Foxx

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/etp/index.html

This is a special emergency toll procedure situation, and there is no processing fee.  

Q: How will the Thruway Authority know where to send my toll bill?
A: Toll bills will be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle, which will be the address on file with Department of Motor Vehicles. 

Q: When will I receive the bill?
A: Motorists can expect to receive the bill approximately 30 days after travel.

Q: What are the options available to pay?
A: Once they receive a bill in the mail, customers can pay with a credit card through the Thruway Authority’s website.

Q: Will I be charged an additional fee to receive the bill in the mail?
A: No, customers will not be charged an additional fee.

A 30% toll increase will be added to drivers' bills who go through soon-to-be installed cashless toll gantries and do not have E-ZPass. The bill, with the higher tolls and $2 monthly surcharge, will be mailed to drivers' homes who do not switch to the tags. ...

I did not know that, thanks; that's good to know for the FUTURE.  Even assuming they still usurp this "bridge charge", come 2021, it will probably be cheaper, even w/ mimimal usage to get the EZ Pass.  Guess it depends on how frequently you use it.

In our area we have two EZpasses both free. One is regular and other has button to turn on HOV which gives free use of some roads in Virginia.  I got notice this year to either use or return for since I switched jobs I was using it a lot less.  One family trip to grocery store in Maryland & back and I am now on good list for a year.

EZ pass states.  ME , NH , MA , RI , NY , PA , NJ,  OH

WV , IN , VA , NC, KY.

Some of these have their own "Pass" system, but have worked out

reciprocal deals with EZ Pass system.

My best use of EZ Pass was for the Grand Island bridge when heading to Lewiston from WV.

5 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

EZ pass states.  ME , NH , MA , RI , NY , PA , NJ,  OH

WV , IN , VA , NC, KY.

Some of these have their own "Pass" system, but have worked out

reciprocal deals with EZ Pass system.

My best use of EZ Pass was for the Grand Island bridge when heading to Lewiston from WV.

And some states charge more for EZ Pass users who have their account based in a different state. I still have my NJ hardware and account. Now live on the Cape and MA has no tollbooths anymore and I get a small surcharge for using their Pike. 

On 3/23/2020 at 7:07 PM, eSJayDee said:

At least when I looked into it a few yrs ago, they usurped some sort "bridge fee" monthly.  So, although you saved a few pennies each time you used it, cuz of that fee, unless you used it a moderate amount, it was more expensive than just paying cash. I'll be danged if I voluntarily give NYS more $ than I already do.

There are different plans. https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/discount.html  I've got the basic plan, no hidden fees, it costs what it costs.  One of my coworkers had the Tag Specific Commuter Plan, since for him, going back and forth to work, he was just under the 30 mile limit, I think he said it was 28 miles exit to exit.  He can still use it for trips longer than 30 miles, he would be charged the regular EZ-Pass rates. 

On 3/23/2020 at 8:25 PM, LewPort71 said:

As  others have said, Get the EZ pass.  I have had it since 2005.

Several states have it and it makes driving a bit easier.

I've had mine since around the mid-90's. Never regretted it.