Did The Bills Dig to Deep for Diggs Some Think So !!

T master

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

But don't you understand it's automatic to get one in this years draft?  I mean, there's just so many receivers all you have to do is draft one.  At pick #22 we'd have our choice between the 4th - 7th wide receiver taken in the 1st round.  

Why would you take someone proven when a blind shot to a small target is right there in your face?

Is it also automatic that they become a #1 WR or would it be more likely they end up like Zay Jones?

Also what timeframe are we talking about? Sometimes they can take up to 3 years to develop. And who is to say they don't draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round? From what I have heard the draft is so deep in WR that there isn't much separating the 6th WR from the 20th...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

One larger than life NFL Expert Peter King thinks the Bills over paid for Diggs due in part to the amount of WR's in this years draft i'm not sure if one of those players could have been drafted by the Bills & made as big of a contribution as Diggs in their first yr but i do know they could have been a lot cheaper in respect to how many players they could have gotten in the draft & how much monetary compensation they will pay for one player vs. 4 they gave up .

Is this the same Peter King who didn't vote Troy Polamalu into the Hall of Fame?

Who understands his logic other than it is generally flawed.

How many of those draft picks would make the team?

I know that those picks equal a known top NFL WR that the Bills have not had... This century. Not an unknown or some late round booger pick, a top of the line WR l, the ones that make bad QBs look average once in a while, makes great QBs... Well, look perfect at times. 

This can only be a good thing for Josh.

Edited by Hardhatharry
  • Like (+1) 1

Most of those saying the Bills paid too much are also ( rightly) chiding Bill O’Brien for the Hopkins trade. Can’t have it both ways. Bottom line ; talking heads think the price was too high because Diggs will be playing for the Bills. 

Peter King is a Patriot shill and a buffoon.  This morning I heard an analyst on Howard and Jeremy say that if you added all the assets that we gave up for Diggs, it would move us up to 18th pick in this year's draft. At 18 we're not going to get anybody with the skill set of Stefon Diggs, at least not for the next year or 2. This was a great move.  It's win now baby. King can wallow with the last place Patriots this year!

3 hours ago, T master said:

One larger than life NFL Expert Peter King thinks the Bills over paid for Diggs due in part to the amount of WR's in this years draft i'm not sure if one of those players could have been drafted by the Bills & made as big of a contribution as Diggs in their first yr but i do know they could have been a lot cheaper in respect to how many players they could have gotten in the draft & how much monetary compensation they will pay for one player vs. 4 they gave up .

The thing is that if they drafted all those players... it would have been unlikely they would make the team.  The other option would be trading those picks to move up and likely draft a WR.  That would be a crapshoot.  We instead used those picks to get an instant starter on this team in that position that is already proven.  Way better use of draft picks IMO.  The guy is still young and on a reasonable contract.

Edited by Scott7975

23 hours ago, PIZ said:

In order for Josh Allen to develop into a true franchise QB, he needs sure bets at WR. What would it do to his development if the Bills would have taken a rookie WR at 22 and he didn't play at a top level? What are the chances that a rookie WR plays at a top level. We are getting a WR that is proven and that is what Josh Allen needs. How many rookie WRs did Mahomes have on his Super Bowl team? Kansas City had Watkins and Hill, and drafted rookie Mecole Hardman (6 tds but only 26 receptions). It was a steep price, but it is going to pay off big time for the Bills and Allen to have John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Stefon Diggs at WR, and probably a 3rd or 4th round WR rookie.

This article agrees with your opinion & to some point so do I .

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/3/24/21190846/with-stefon-diggs-buffalo-bills-chose-a-steady-paycheck-over-the-lottery-minnesot-vikings-peter-king

• Like (+1) 1

Casual fans overvalue draft picks, especially first rounders.  In fact, most NFL teams overvalue first round picks.  I was stumping for this sort of move before this went down and am very happy it did.  If Diggs is a good camper, then we got a good deal.  He sure has the talent to make this trade a no brainer for the Bills.  Happy there are competent grown ups in charge. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/overthecap.com/multiple-first-round-pick-for-player-trades/amp/

Here is an article from OverTheCap that talks about these kinds of trades.  They end their analysis on players traded for two first round picks, but the explanation works for players traded for one as well.  I was looking for a different article, but this one touches on most of the same stuff. 

Realistically, Beane was going to trade up somewhere in the draft, so some of those later picks were going to be moved regardless.  Nothing in his past indicated we were going to stand pat and take 9 players.

To get a proven #1 that can both gain separation and grab contested balls is a better return than any project in this draft.

Any conversation related to Hopkins is worthless.  O'Brien may have had to move Hopkins, but he needed to create a bidding war to get more than he did.  He did not need to move him on Day 1 of the tampering period.  He absolutely did not need to pick up Johnson's contract to boot.  That whole deal needs to exist in a vacuum.

What the Bills gave up was fair and appropriate.  Peter King has forgotten how to report on the NFL.  He has become too opinionated and arrogant.  I typically turn him off when I hear him in an interview.

Edited by familykwi
addition

On 3/23/2020 at 9:50 AM, NewEra said:

Is there such thing as “overpaying” for a super bowl title?

Agreed, different sport but I remember people going nuts on the cubs for giving up what they did for Aroldis Chapman who was essentially a rental player that year for them. They won the WS and you never heard another word about that trade.

I'm really tired of the notion that we overpaid because BOB is an idiot.

I'm not an idiot for only scoring 25% off on a TV just because someone else desperate for drug money sold their TV for 50% off.

Without the Houston trade to warp perspectives, our trade is seen as an automatic win.  End of story.

3 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

We may have overpaid a bit, but I like the fact that Beane was decisive and went after the player he wanted.  He know we were competing with a few other teams.  I love this trade.

What better deal do YOU think you could swing for a top 10 WR in the prime with several years left on their reasonable contract for your Super Bowl push?

We gave up the 22nd pick, not a top 10, and mid to late round picks aren't worth as much as some people think.

*edit*

Sorry I know you like the trade, I'm just objecting to the part about it somehow being an overpayment while still saying it was a great trade.  I still see it as a good deal for us, as I said it wasn't even a mid-high 1st.

Edited by 1ManRaid

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm really tired of the notion that we overpaid because BOB is an idiot.

I'm not an idiot for only scoring 25% off on a TV just because someone else desperate for drug money sold their TV for 50% off.

Without the Houston trade to warp perspectives, our trade is seen as an automatic win.  End of story.

What better deal do YOU think you could swing for a top 10 WR in the prime with several years left on their reasonable contract for your Super Bowl push?

We gave up the 22nd pick, not a top 10, and mid to late round picks aren't worth as much as some people think.

*edit*

Sorry I know you like the trade, I'm just objecting to the part about it somehow being an overpayment while still saying it was a great trade.  I still see it as a good deal for us, as I said it wasn't even a mid-high 1st.

It was an over payment when you compare it to other trades for  similarly talented receiver,  but it was what the market demanded to get the hob done.   I am glad that Beans was willing to be mire aggressive to close the deal.

18 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Casual fans overvalue draft picks, especially first rounders.  In fact, most NFL teams overvalue first round picks.  I was stumping for this sort of move before this went down and am very happy it did.  If Diggs is a good camper, then we got a good deal.  He sure has the talent to make this trade a no brainer for the Bills.  Happy there are competent grown ups in charge. 

You are correct.  The big rate for a first round pick is ~ 50%.  A first round WR is even worse.  Now factor in that a WR typically takes a few seasons to shine.  

Trading for an established WR is a great move and the team will be better with the sure thing vs the draft lottery.  Diggs > pick 22.

• Like (+1) 1