Did The Bills Dig to Deep for Diggs Some Think So !!

T master

Honestly, this topic is is going to be beaten to death due to lack of anything else to talk about.

Long story short, Beane lined us up to go for the homerun. A young, cost controlled, top tier, proven asset. 

Stinks not having a first rounder. I'm sure, at points there may be a rookie or two that are out producing Diggs, and it will elicit a narrow minded group to trash the trade. 

However, it was a great/bold move.

• Like (+1) 1

Opening the door for Diggs apparently closed the door on Brady. I’m happy to throw in an extra 4th for that! His talent, age and contract make the value just fine. He’ll want a new deal before this one is up, but he’ll be “cheap” for a while. 

• Like (+1) 1

And here the rebuttal to King from Ryan Talbot: https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/03/why-peter-king-is-wrong-about-the-buffalo-bills-overpaying-for-stefon-diggs.html

First and foremost, it’s not fair to compare Buffalo’s trade package to the one the Arizona Cardinals sent to the Houston Texans for DeAndre Hopkins. Bill O’Brien’s incompetence as the Texans’ GM should not be held against Brandon Beane or any other GM in the league. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its not even close to being too much. We got an absolute sure thing at wr on a good contract. Yes the draft is deep but no one who would be available even if we used all of the picks we traded to move up would be a sure thing in the NFL. Truth is these guys have a lot of time on their hands right now and getting Bills fans upset on the internet seems to be big business.

Edited by Madd Charlie

We had the LUXURY to make this trade because of the great drafting and FA moves by Beane. 

Because of the talent and depth already on the roster, I LOVE the move.

Timing is everything and we needed a legit # 1 and got him for pick 22 , the other picks would have struggled to make the roster anyway! 

• Like (+1) 2

Albert Breer lays it out well in this article (scroll to near end, after the Brady/Patriots drama) -

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/23/tampa-bay-buccaneers-scout-tom-brady-diggs-hopkins-trades

We paid what was necessary to get the player we wanted.  He's a great fit on many levels and makes a ton of sense.  As others have said, not every GM is Bill O.brien... sometime you actually have to pay a price to get something valuable. 

As part of home schooling, my 8 year old daughter is doing a worksheet today on when to use 'to', 'too' or 'two'.   I'll PM a copy to the OP.   

Maybe I can dig up the ones on capitalization and punctuation.

• Haha (+1) 4

It only seems that way in comparison to what Arizona gave to Houston to get Hopkins. Unfortunately Beane wasn't dealing with a GM with the incompetence level of Bill O'Brien. The compensation for Diggs was fair and considering the current contract he's obligated to makes the trade much more desirable. Hopkins is already in negotiations for a new deal.

If the Hopkins fleecing (ooops I mean trade) didn’t happen before nobody would even be batting an eye lash at this trade. Odell was traded for a better first rounder and a 3rd, of course other players were involved but the Diggs trade was not too much all things considered. If he plays out even 1-2 seasons on his current salary and keeps the same production  it’s a huge steal. I can’t see any actual reason to not like this deal minus some people just feel the need to complain and criticize everything. 

Random thoughts...

Peter King.  I like King's writing.  I respect his insider information.  His judgments and opinions, though, are often wrong.  For example, back when Doug Whaley was with the Steelers, King said the Bills should make him our GM.

Hopkins.  Any comparisons to the Hopkins trade are problematic.   Despite his obvious talent, few teams actually wanted Hopkins because (1) he wants $20 million/year and (2) he doesn't like to practice.  As One Buffalo suggests, check out today's MMQB article by Albert Breer.  

Draft.  There's been some buzz that the Bills were less enamored with this year's WR crop than some others.  Furthermore, no draft pick is a sure thing.  Getting Diggs puts the Bills in the enviable position that they can truly draft BPA instead of reaching for needs.  

Diggs.  This is a proven NFL WR who can beat press and does well against zone or man and excels at contested balls.   At $12M/year, his price is reasonable.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Honestly, this topic is is going to be beaten to death due to lack of anything else to talk about.

Long story short, Beane lined us up to go for the homerun. A young, cost controlled, top tier, proven asset. 

Stinks not having a first rounder. I'm sure, at points there may be a rookie or two that are out producing Diggs, and it will elicit a narrow minded group to trash the trade. 

However, it was a great/bold move.

Outstanding! That's exactly what happened here.  McBeane had decided they were ready, they had enough, to go for the championship.  They knew they could plug their defensive holes in free agency and they needed a receiver.  As free agency approached and it began to look like Diggs could be gotten, they went into action.  

It was almost surgical, just like how quickly Beane dealt to get Allen and Edmund's. 

It all days they expect to win now.  It also says they are all in on Josh. He is the guy they will do it with.  

That's how they saw it, and a late round pick or two way not going to stop.  

None of us cared when the Pegulas overspent to be sure they got the Bills.  I dont see why we worry that the Bills overspent on Diggs.

• Like (+1) 2

We weren't getting Diggs for less than a 1st round pick, period. Minnesota didn't HAVE to trade him, but they were willing to for the right return value. The late picks are just sweeteners, who would have very little chance of making the team in Buffalo. We paid the going rate, which is a fair price.

If you ask me, we're lucky a team with a higher 1st rounder wasn't in on the bidding.

• Like (+1) 1