Did The Bills Dig to Deep for Diggs Some Think So !!

T master

A lot of the talk this off season here has been on the Bills trading for Stephon Diggs which although we view it as a instant upgrade to the WR room at one bills drive some think the Bills paid to much to get him but i for one believe there were some underlying factors that pushed his price as far as draft pick compensation higher than it would have normally given those involved in trying to get his services .

I have heard that not only the Bills were after Diggs but so were the Pats which may or may not have made a difference if Brady decided to stay or not we will never know but if by some chance Beane knew as much that alone could have made him decide to give more in compensation than normal to keep the wicked witch of the east from staying on top for another couple of years .

A lot of comparison has been drawn to the Hopkins deal with the Cards of which they got him for a song this guy was one of the best since he came out in the draft & he just goes & does his job there is no prime donna tendencies surrounding him at all like his soon to be team mate Fitz in AZ. 

One larger than life NFL Expert Peter King thinks the Bills over paid for Diggs due in part to the amount of WR's in this years draft i'm not sure if one of those players could have been drafted by the Bills & made as big of a contribution as Diggs in their first yr but i do know they could have been a lot cheaper in respect to how many players they could have gotten in the draft & how much monetary compensation they will pay for one player vs. 4 they gave up .

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/23/peter-king-buffalo-bills-overpaid-vikings-stefon-diggs/

I guess we will all be hyped to see exactly what Diggs will bring to the table & if Josh will cash in on his presence in the offense. I trust Beane in that to this point he has made more moves to better the team than hurt it so i am giving him the benefit of the doubt even though the compensation was pretty high for this player but if he makes that big of a immediate difference then it will all be worth it !! 

Proven #1 WR. Definitely worth a #1 pick. With all the additional FA signings, we could afford the additional picks (plus, we had extra 5th/6th anyway from previous good moves). So it comes down to next years' 4th round pick. Still worth it IMO.

Yes, many flashy, young WR available in this years' draft, but Bills think their time to win is NOW. Don't have time for a potential #1 WR to go through the 1st/2nd year growing pains. Diggs is immediate plug-n-play.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Proven #1 WR. Definitely worth a #1 pick. With all the additional FA signings, we could afford the additional picks (plus, we had extra 5th/6th anyway from previous good moves). So it comes down to next years' 4th round pick. Still worth it IMO.

Yes, many flashy, young WR available in this years' draft, but Bills think their time to win is NOW. Don't have time for a potential #1 WR to go through the 1st/2nd year growing pains. Diggs is immediate plug-n-play.

Especially considering he is 26 in his prime and has 4 years on his contract that is basically half price of what Amari Cooper just got..

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 8

Well if Peter King would like to call his shot on which WR that could be picked between, say, 18 and 22 (assuming we could have reasonably moved up to 18) that will succeed at the level Diggs has he's more than welcome to.

Lost in all the "tHe biLLs oVeRPaiD" nonsense is the report that Hopkins wants an AB-like raise on his current contract.  Not an extension.  A raise.  Which drives his value down on the trade market.  Still a stupid trade, but slightly more understandable with that news.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

In order for Josh Allen to develop into a true franchise QB, he needs sure bets at WR. What would it do to his development if the Bills would have taken a rookie WR at 22 and he didn't play at a top level? What are the chances that a rookie WR plays at a top level. We are getting a WR that is proven and that is what Josh Allen needs. How many rookie WRs did Mahomes have on his Super Bowl team? Kansas City had Watkins and Hill, and drafted rookie Mecole Hardman (6 tds but only 26 receptions). It was a steep price, but it is going to pay off big time for the Bills and Allen to have John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Stefon Diggs at WR, and probably a 3rd or 4th round WR rookie.

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Especially considering he is 26 in his prime and has 4 years on his contract that is basically half price of what Amari Cooper just got..

But don't you understand it's automatic to get one in this years draft?  I mean, there's just so many receivers all you have to do is draft one.  At pick #22 we'd have our choice between the 4th - 7th wide receiver taken in the 1st round.  

Why would you take someone proven when a blind shot to a small target is right there in your face?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, T master said:

A lot of the talk this off season here has been on the Bills trading for Stephon Diggs which although we view it as a instant upgrade to the WR room at one bills drive some think the Bills paid to much to get him but i for one believe there were some underlying factors that pushed his price as far as draft pick compensation higher than it would have normally given those involved in trying to get his services .

I have heard that not only the Bills were after Diggs but so were the Pats which may or may not have made a difference if Brady decided to stay or not we will never know but if by some chance Beane knew as much that alone could have made him decide to give more in compensation than normal to keep the wicked witch of the east from staying on top for another couple of years .

A lot of comparison has been drawn to the Hopkins deal with the Cards of which they got him for a song this guy was one of the best since he came out in the draft & he just goes & does his job there is no prime donna tendencies surrounding him at all like his soon to be team mate Fitz in AZ. 

One larger than life NFL Expert Peter King thinks the Bills over paid for Diggs due in part to the amount of WR's in this years draft i'm not sure if one of those players could have been drafted by the Bills & made as big of a contribution as Diggs in their first yr but i do know they could have been a lot cheaper in respect to how many players they could have gotten in the draft & how much monetary compensation they will pay for one player vs. 4 they gave up .

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/23/peter-king-buffalo-bills-overpaid-vikings-stefon-diggs/

I guess we will all be hyped to see exactly what Diggs will bring to the table & if Josh will cash in on his presence in the offense. I trust Beane in that to this point he has made more moves to better the team than hurt it so i am giving him the benefit of the doubt even though the compensation was pretty high for this player but if he makes that big of a immediate difference then it will all be worth it !! 

Congratulations on your 4,951st new thread!

• Haha (+1) 9

So let me start this by saying I am thankful there are so many level headed people in regards to this trade. NO, the Bills did not give up too much in the trade, not at all. They didn’t even give up a ton or “pay a steep price.” Perhaps I missed it in the massive Diggs thread, but the ones who are saying the Bills gave up too much are not saying what they would have given up or where they would have drawn the line. So if you feel they gave up too much, please enlighten me on what would have been a “fair trade.” (Insert eye roll at that phrase)

I'm going to wood burn or bronze this somewhere. 

"One larger than life NFL Expert Peter King thinks the Bills over paid for Diggs due in part to the amount of WR's in this years draft i'm not sure if one of those players could have been drafted by the Bills & made as big of a contribution as Diggs in their first yr but i do know they could have been a lot cheaper in respect to how many players they could have gotten in the draft & how much monetary compensation they will pay for one player vs. 4 they gave up ."

It's a long sentence, but necessary.

Edited by White Linen