1. 1. Which of these draft picks would you like the most

• Edwards-Helaire in second round
    • Dobbins in second round with trade up
    • Moss in 3rd round
    • Aikens in 3rd round
    • No running back untill the 4th or later because we have other needs

Folks,   wake up and smell the coffee.  

• We have NO depth at running back.
  • If Singletary goes down for the season or pulls a hammy for 4 games we are in a lot of hurt.
  • Bean likes to have quality depth
  • Bean's plan, which is the best, is to use the first few round of the draft to get a few outstanding, pro bowl quality players. NOT to get "okay" depth players
  • Bean uses the FA to get the depth players. Lower rounds of the draft are used to move up in the first 3 rounds, or on "moon shots" on undervalued players.
  • We now use a lot of rotation at several positions. Defensive line and TE are two examples. We might to do the same with RB

I'll say point #1 again, we have NO depth at running back

I have another post : How the Bills trade up in the 2020 draftwhich shows that the Bills could use their 3rd round and other picks to move up to various slots. Basically we could turn #54 into

• #54     R2   stay pat if somebody falls, or move up a bit as Bean has done the last two years
  • #45     R2,R4,R5
  • #38    R2 R3
  • #33    R2 R3 R4
  • #31 R2 R3    2021 R2

In my view,  there is no need to compromise in getting another, potentially even better, game breaking RB to work in rotation or with Singletary. There are (my opinion) 4 guys who would fit the bill and would probably be available. Shown below are the the top RB’s and where several mock drafts have them being picked.

Swift                    Georgia                   37   18   39   45

Dobbins               Ohio Stat                 39    28   37   32  

Taylor                  Wisconsin               56   37    57    50

Edwards-Helain   LSU                        63   63    62    55

Moss                    Utah                       91   86            139

Aikens                 Flordia                   100  45  

The first three guys are clearly the class of the position, but Edward-Helain is close behind.  Moss and Aikens are good players, but a bit slower and are more power runners.  I expect Swift and Dobbins to be drafted too high to have a chance at them.  Taylor might drop to us or be available as a trade up at a reasonable price.  Moss & Aikens might still be around with our 3rd round pick, but the expectation is that they could be adequate backups.  Edward-Helain would be my target because he is the best pass catcher of the entire group and would give Allen another option on passing plays. Remember TT running wheel routes?

Clyde Edwards-Helaire*, RB, LSU
Height: 5-7. Weight: 207. Arm: 29. Hand: 9.63.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2020): 2-3.

3/7/20: Edwards-Helaire was a dangerous runner and receiver for the Tigers in 2019, doing a lot of dirty work for their point machine offense. The junior averaged 6.6 yards per carry in 2019 for 1,414 yards with 16 touchdowns. He also had 55 receptions for 453 yards and a score. Edwards-Helaire is a tough runner with quickness, cutting ability, vision, and natural body lean. His natural receiving skills make him a potential three-down starter.      (cf Walter football)

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
finish comment

Is it possible this staff values Yeldon more then the fans do?  I think they are willing to take a back in the draft and if they can’t land one will get a vet on the outside.  

Imo we desperately need another dynamic RB.  Yeldons not scaring anyone.  Singletary is great but I’m not sure he’s a lead back.

Now Dobbins I think is.  

i don't think we can afford to have two RBs on the roster who are next to useless in pass pro and short yardage situations. There are plenty of RBs with a skill set that offsets Devin's weaknesses that we will have a chance to draft. I'd pass on Edwards-Helaire.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

They can get Dillon in the 4th or later possibly. They should use their second and third round picks for young quality depth at other positions.

I think there is a difference in how Beane does things from what you might be saying.  "Young quality depth" might mean a good player, who might develop into a starter but will likely be a replacement for a couple of games if the starter goes down with an injury.   .... I think Beane's method is to look for possible pro-bowlers with every draft pick, even though they may flame out.  ..... So if the choice was 60% success as a career backup, 10% chance as a starter and 2% chance at all pro  ....VERSUS 30% backup, 10% starter,  5% as all pro..... (or something like that) then he would take the latter. ...  Reasoning is that if you can add 2 all-pros rather than 15 backups,  you go for the all-pro players who can get you into the playoffs.    You can get tested and known quality backups from the FA wire.

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

i don't think we can afford to have two RBs on the roster who are next to useless in pass pro and short yardage situations. There are plenty of RBs with a skill set that offsets Devin's weaknesses that we will have a chance to draft. I'd pass on Edwards-Helaire.

Please let Bama know that this guy isn't good in short yardage.

• Like (+1) 1

As a Utah fan, I saw a lot of Zach Moss.  He's an inventive, powerful runner who I think would be a good complement to Singletary.  He is not really fast but he gets through gaps with quickness and power.  I think he'll be a very good NFL back.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, JinxedBill said:

Is it possible this staff values Yeldon more then the fans do?  I think they are willing to take a back in the draft and if they can’t land one will get a vet on the outside.  

Imo we desperately need another dynamic RB.  Yeldons not scaring anyone.  Singletary is great but I’m not sure he’s a lead back.

Now Dobbins I think is.  

The TJ Yeldon that was a healthy scratch for the majority of the season?

46 minutes ago, DrDare said:

What about Taylor falling down to us

Also lets think about Dillon and Leake later one

I like Taylor as a prospect but we already have a talented RB who has a propensity to fumble. 

I assume you meant Akers, not Aikens? I voted for him but think they wait and take a guy like Perine. Perine’s RB Coach at Florida is the brother of the Bills RB coach. I seem to be in the minority especially among the local media that the Bills won’t take a RB 2 early. I think they will wait until 4th or later. I would, anyway. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Please let Bama know that this guy isn't good in short yardage.

I could have been good on short yardage behind that line. Not a lot of successful short yardage backs in the NFL at 5'-7". 

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Please remind me of the times Singletary lost yardage as a rusher.

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Wut

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

I could have been good on short yardage behind that line. Not a lot of successful short yardage backs in the NFL at 5'-7". 

Well Bama's defense was pretty good and he ran over two of them without any blockers to finish that game.