Will COVID19 Impact the 2020 Season?

Will COVID19 Impact the 2020 Season?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Will COVID19 Impact the 2020 Season?

• No
    • I think they will CXL it
    • I think they will delay it

12 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I've been reading/listening to dozens of doctors and health experts.  Nobody knows for sure how long this will last, because they are going by only 2-3 months worth of data on a virus that is totally new to the world.  And unfortunately, the country that has been going through this the longest (China) was very secretive at first - so it's unclear whether the data they are putting out is reliable.  The next few weeks will hopefully tell us a lot.

-  If they can be believed, China has supposedly hit the downside of this, and the country is gradually returning to work.  The world will be watching to see if they get a second-wave once their citizens leave quarantine and start getting around each other again.

-  How well will the U.S. efforts to slow down infections work?  And how much progress can we make in improving the country's medical capacity in that amount of time?  The unique thing about this virus, is that it doesn't actually have an extremely high death rate... IF the sick can get proper hospital care.  The problem (as can be seen in Italy) is that it's extremely contagious, and if thousands get sick at the same time, the hospitals simply can't handle everyone.

-  Is this strand of the virus seasonal?  If it is, the spring and summer months should give us additional time to prepare for another outbreak next year.

-  At best, a vaccine is several months away.  But there other drugs already being tested which hopefully can treat the symptoms and decrease the number of serious cases requiring hospitalization.  

Like with other viruses, there is also an expectation that humans will gradually develop a level of herd immunity.  The recovery rate of young/healthy people who get this is very high.  The key is all about NOT overloading the current medical system.  Hospitals, beds, doctors, ventilators, etc.  Even if society doesn't get back 100% to normal immediately in the next few weeks, it's very possible that we can get there gradually.  For instance, let the recovered/young/healthy get back to work, while continuing to have strict quarantine rules and social distancing for the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.

Yes, there are lots of doomsday predictions out there.  But there are also glimpses of hope.  I find it easier to take this day-by-day, and hope that everything turns out for the best, rather than fearing the worst.

This is an excellent post.  Well done sir.  MY wife works in a place where she has access to a lot of medical people.  They have told her some interesting things.  They have suggested one train of thought is this is going to drop down once summer hits, just like the flu strain does.  Hopefully that is the case.  They also have suggested that more people have been affected by this in the fall/winter months even though this strain wasn't supposed to hit US until after the New Year.  So in other words some people may have had it late last year & not even known it.  I look back at my daughter, all of suddent in October she complained about a sore throat and horrible body aches.  We took her to the doctor, they told us she has a virus & it needs to work thru her system.  My wife got sick a week later with the same symptoms, & my son a few weeks later.  All three of them had this for about 2 weeks.  I didn't get sick, not sure why.  But looking back I think all three of them had it.  I think this has been around longer then they are letting on.  

I get it, it is a scary time both from a health & economic standpoint.  The level of anxiety & panic, I have never seen anything like this.  It is off the charts & just goes to show you how fragile the people's mind frames are.  People are acting like if they do get this it is a death sentence.  It is not for most people.  What the government is scared of is that they have to turn away people that could be saved from a health care perspective.  

Back to the original question, I would be surprised if they cancel the season.  By the fall hopefully they will have a vaccines as they are fast tracking this.  It shouldn't take the usual 12-18 months as these are desperate times.  It would shock me right now if they cancelled it, as if this lockdown goes on well into the summer we are all going to have bigger problem then missing our favorite football team as noone will have jobs.

An interesting side bit, my wife reads psychics.   She said this one psychic, I forget her name has it in her book that was written back in 2007 that there will be a respitory virus that effects the world in 2020, it will hit fast & leave fast.  I don't really buy into that crap but nonetheless it is interesting.  Have some faith people, better days are ahead.

Well it already has effected the 2020 season, the players signed in FA can't go get their exams, the draft is shut down compared to what it was in Nashville last yr & only going to be like it was in 1972 one room with a couple of people & Roger in there so i don't know exactly what you are asking ? 

We will all know just how much as time goes on i for one am in hopes that all those smart chemists working so hard out there are going to get something figured out as far as a vaccine so that things can get back to some what normal in all our lives soon !!

I really only care about the NFL millionaire's health & well being for them & their family's not how inconvenienced they are they are set up as far as cash a lot better than many of us so i think they will be fine as far as that goes & if they can't survive a work shortage with the money that they make then they are a bunch of dum A**es & that's on them !!

By the way what is the CXL ??

Edited by T master

36 minutes ago, nucci said:

Love how repubs call it a hoax and say it was the deep state that created this to take down Trump....

Never heard anyone to this point call it a hoax on either side have heard it try to be politicized as usual !! 

2 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I would advise if you contract the virus to avoid chloroquine at all costs and see how you fare. Since you would rather be a comic than talk about real solutions. So have at it Mr. smarty pants, will you agree to forgo the use of this drug if it is made available to you?

?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/africa/chloroquine-trump-nigeria-intl/index.html

1 minute ago, T master said:

Never heard anyone to this point call it a hoax on either side have heard it try to be politicized as usual !! 

Trump LITERALLY called it a hoax.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

If you watched that press conference and honestly let yourself believe he was calling the virus a hoax versus calling the left's criticism of him r.e. the virus a hoax, you cannot be helped.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

If you watched that press conference and honestly let yourself believe he was calling the virus a hoax versus calling the left's criticism of him r.e. the virus a hoax, you cannot be helped.

He called their response to his pathetic response a hoax.  If you cannot see that criticism of his response likely cost lives, then you're blind.

10 minutes ago, T master said:

Fox and friends and the president called it a hoax early on

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

He called their response to his pathetic response a hoax.  If you cannot see that criticism of his response likely cost lives, then you're blind.

Dude. In the post I responded to, literally inches above this one, you claim trump called coronavirus ITSELF a hoax.

I am aware that he called their response to his initial response (which I agree was bad) a hoax. That is, literally, what I said in my response to you.

In terms of the 16 game schedule?  I sure hope not.  If it does our 401k's will be lower than in 2009.  At some point I think we just accept this virus is part of life like other corona virus (such as the common cold) and move on.  I think that will be before September.   There is this initial infection time where we need the world to build an immunity while slowing the infection rate enough to manage it at the hospitals as best we can.   Once the thing has made its way through the population the rate of infection will be more random and spread out naturally like the common cold.  At least that is what I think is the most likely scenario.

6 minutes ago, mattynh said:

In terms of the 16 game schedule?  I sure hope not.  If it does our 401k's will be lower than in 2009.  At some point I think we just accept this virus is part of life like other corona virus (such as the common cold) and move on.  I think that will be before September.   There is this initial infection time where we need the world to build an immunity while slowing the infection rate enough to manage it at the hospitals as best we can.   Once the thing has made its way through the population the rate of infection will be more random and spread out naturally like the common cold.  At least that is what I think is the most likely scenario.

If the NFL is able to start on time I wonder what attendance will be like? Do you see 72,000 inside New Era this year or any other stadium for the matter. Its been drummed into our heads about social distancing. Even if we are past the worst part of this virus come September I could see many people being nervous showing up to a game and sitting in a big crowd.

41 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If the NFL is able to start on time I wonder what attendance will be like? Do you see 72,000 inside New Era this year or any other stadium for the matter. Its been drummed into our heads about social distancing. Even if we are past the worst part of this virus come September I could see many people being nervous showing up to a game and sitting in a big crowd.

It might have an impact, some people may stay away our of "an abundance of caution".  But they will likely sell their tickets to others who dont care.   We need to see where we are in May...let this thing play out a little bit..at some point I think the world will get back to "normal".  But at the same time I am sure this will have a lasting impact.

Edited by mattynh

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

This is an excellent post.  Well done sir.  MY wife works in a place where she has access to a lot of medical people.  They have told her some interesting things.  They have suggested one train of thought is this is going to drop down once summer hits, just like the flu strain does.  Hopefully that is the case.  They also have suggested that more people have been affected by this in the fall/winter months even though this strain wasn't supposed to hit US until after the New Year.  So in other words some people may have had it late last year & not even known it.  I look back at my daughter, all of suddent in October she complained about a sore throat and horrible body aches.  We took her to the doctor, they told us she has a virus & it needs to work thru her system.  My wife got sick a week later with the same symptoms, & my son a few weeks later.  All three of them had this for about 2 weeks.  I didn't get sick, not sure why.  But looking back I think all three of them had it.  I think this has been around longer then they are letting on.  

I get it, it is a scary time both from a health & economic standpoint.  The level of anxiety & panic, I have never seen anything like this.  It is off the charts & just goes to show you how fragile the people's mind frames are.  People are acting like if they do get this it is a death sentence.  It is not for most people.  What the government is scared of is that they have to turn away people that could be saved from a health care perspective.  

Back to the original question, I would be surprised if they cancel the season.  By the fall hopefully they will have a vaccines as they are fast tracking this.  It shouldn't take the usual 12-18 months as these are desperate times.  It would shock me right now if they cancelled it, as if this lockdown goes on well into the summer we are all going to have bigger problem then missing our favorite football team as noone will have jobs.

An interesting side bit, my wife reads psychics.   She said this one psychic, I forget her name has it in her book that was written back in 2007 that there will be a respitory virus that effects the world in 2020, it will hit fast & leave fast.  I don't really buy into that crap but nonetheless it is interesting.  Have some faith people, better days are ahead.

Prior to the border closure from Asia between 3-4,000 people came into the US daily!. Now I live in So Fla which is probably the most transient place in the US. Cruise ships and tourism account for 30million people annually. I wholeheartedly believe this virus has been here for close to 6 months give or take. We would be naïve to think otherwise and the govt know it.

My niece had the same symptoms you mentioned above, even tested for flu which we thought she had and came back negative, just a bad virus strain is what the dr said and took her two weeks to get right. Long and short...stay home, chill out if you can and let the medical experts catch up to patients who need it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Allegedly this virus will decline during the summer months, and could come roaring back in the fall. Might the NFL go to a summer season this year??????????????/

No chance.  So many moving parts - there’s not enough time to put a summer season together 

My prediction - I think you’ll se a shortened preseason and a delay in the start to the season by about 4 weeks.  

If you look at China, they’ve only had like 40 new cases in the last 3 days, it’s really slowing down over there. Lots of countries like Germany and the USA are doing a good job for the most part. New York is the biggest problem but by n large it’s slowing down. Underdeveloped countries will suffer the most casualties. Developed countries may lose a few thousand, underdeveloped countries will suffer 5 or 6 times more.

Folks, I realize it’s next to impossible not to raise politics in this pandemic. But we have rules which are based on the benefit of all. 

Please try harder to keep government condemnation comments out of this, deserving though they may be. All govmnts. are struggling with this.

Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah my thought is if things aren't semi back to normal by either mid-May or June, we will have more problems than just the virus on our hands. Obviously the economy. But you also have to look at the anxiety factor of people wondering when they will be able to leave their homes or get back to a normal life. And the depression factor of people with no jobs. I know people in the mental health industry who are very worried about that aspect.

At some point we have to be able to manage the virus and let people go back to a normal life. Obviously we want things under control and back to normal before that happens. But Italy has shown a decrease in numbers the last two days so maybe there is some light ahead.

5 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Yeah my thought is if things aren't semi back to normal by either mid-May or June, we will have more problems than just the virus on our hands. Obviously the economy. But you also have to look at the anxiety factor of people wondering when they will be able to leave their homes or get back to a normal life. And the depression factor of people with no jobs. I know people in the mental health industry who are very worried about that aspect.

At some point we have to be able to manage the virus and let people go back to a normal life. Obviously we want things under control and back to normal before that happens. But Italy has shown a decrease in numbers the last two days so maybe there is some light ahead.

I think China has returned to normalcy in the last week too.

A vaccine might not be available to everyone soon but maybe in the next month or so....enough supply to the ones over 65?

I am concerned about the mental health as well.  I know I’ve been more irritable since being stuck in my place all day every day.
My gym has been closed for 2 weeks so I don’t have that outlet.

If this lasts several more weeks (which it certainly might), then people will start exploding.  Someone was stabbed at the Costco in Atlanta not too long ago.