Will COVID19 Impact the 2020 Season?

Will COVID19 Impact the 2020 Season?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Will COVID19 Impact the 2020 Season?

• No
    • I think they will CXL it
    • I think they will delay it

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It is possible that by September we will have it under control enough to at least have NFL games without any fans in the stadium. Less than ideal to say the least, but if the players keep themselves quarantined for the season it's a possible solution that wouldn't require the entire season being cancelled. Even if training camp does happen it will be completely closed to the public and probably the media too.

this is unlikely, with wives, kids, etc.  Which got me to thinking.

if your scenario happens, I think depth will be the most important thing to an NFL team.  The season will be a war of attrition, since so many players, unable to properly self-quarantine, will test positive.

And by extension, probably the team with the best 3 QBs on the roster on day 1 should be the favorite to win it all.

Also by extension, what if they just run out of enuf players even to field a team, so the season ends up canceled anyway?

I think that looking at this from day [single digit] of an unknown in length quarantine is going to seem very different than looking at the same question in early July. 

Nobody really knows, but I think we will have a fairly normal football season.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

Also by extension, what if they just run out of enuf players even to field a team, so the season ends up canceled anyway?

If even one player tests positive during training camp, they may have to go the route of the NBA and cancel the season indefinitely. This is a totally unprecedented situation and I don't think everyone has fully grasped the seriousness of what's going on. It is significantly more infectious and slightly more fatal than the flu, which is a disastrous combination. If the current trend continues there will likely still be bans on large gatherings of people in the summer, which means training camps will be impossible. I think in a best case scenario the NFL either does a shortened season or starts the season a month or two late. Free agency was a fun distraction but this pandemic is getting more serious by the day. Hopefully it will turn out we took more cautions than necessary, and not the opposite.

Edited by HappyDays

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If even one player tests positive during training camp, they may have to go the route of the NBA and cancel the season indefinitely.

i thought/think that part of the NBA's reasoning was how close the players are to the fans, and the fans not wanting to be around that.  Also, as the weeks progress, and as it becomes more certain that only old people or pre-existing condition types are at risk of actual death, then one NFL player testing positive wouldnt shut the whole operation down.

Also, they can play NFL to empty stadiums if necessary, even though fans arent "courtside" close anyway.

Edited by maddenboy

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'd say very unlikely only due to fact that when you look at the size or rosters, add in practice squad, training camp has a 90 man roster, coaching and training staff and front office personal, easily 150 people during the season and likely around 200 during training camp times 32 teams.  That's over 5000 people ,then add in their families.  The odds of not having players testing positive is very low if still being transmitted at a fairly high rate.  

Either will be safe enough to have fans present or no season at all until safe.  That's what did the NBA in, once a player tested positive. 

Exactly. 

Do people really expect these teams to pile into planes and fly around the country to cities like Seattle, LA, and New York, play a game that requires close contact with large numbers of players who may be carrying the virus with no symptoms, then pile back into a plane and fly back to their families who they may then infect etc. etc......and you expect them to do this for 17 weeks in a row.   Would you do that???

These guys are human beings just like you and me......not machines who only exist for our sports-watching pleasure.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

There will not be isolation for 4 months or longer.The economy  couldn’t handle it. There are several promising drugs that are about to unleashed. The pharmaceutical industry is pissed that a cheap generic drug given with the Zpack has been wiping this out in 4-6 days. It won’t be long before the minor cases are being sent home and the serious ones will get relief. China hasn’t had a new case in three days, Japan is re opening schools. The news wants to make this worse than it needs to be. It’s not a hoax, but it’s not the end of the world either.

This post smells very orange. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, maddenboy said:

i thought/think that part of the NBA's reasoning was how close the players are to the fans, and the fans not wanting to be around that.  Also, as the weeks progress, and as it becomes more certain that only old people or pre-existing condition types are at risk of actual death, then one NFL player testing positive wouldnt shut the whole operation down.

Also, they can play NFL to empty stadiums if necessary, even though fans arent "courtside" close.

I'm an old person, and would be thrilled if only old people died from this virus. Unfortunately, young healthy people have died, and are dying from this virus

9 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

Also, they can play NFL to empty stadiums if necessary, even though fans arent "courtside" close.

If things are under control by July or August then this is the solution I see them going with. The whole timeline is just a projection right now, no one really knows how long this will go on for. The NFL I think has played it very smart. Let free agency go on as scheduled, run the draft but from a remote location, and otherwise just play it by ear. At the end of the day it isn't up to them. States are banning large gatherings and the NFL won't be exempt from that if the lockdowns continue into the late summer. If training camps can't be held in July and August you can't expect teams to be ready to play in September. To me that's the most likely direction, a delayed season but not completely cancelled. Maybe training camp is done in September and they cut the season down to 12 games. That seems more likely than everything being back to normal in 4 months. But I really hope I'm wrong.

Edited by HappyDays

They will probably go to something like daily testing on practice and game days.  Mid summer Might be a peak though so it would be pretty hard to have so many players stay clean.  They would have to quarantine the league for about 5 months.  I hope they do.  I need entertainment. 

11 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

The 1918 Pandemic had three waves over 18 months.......likely to be the  case today as well.  Might get a 2021 season.   There is a book on the WWI Spanish flu which I read a few years ago.  More US solders were killed by the flu than by the German Army.  Maybe modern medicine and methods can cut the deaths, but until herd immunity kicks in, everybody is at risk.  HERD immunity means more than say 85% of people have had it, and can't transmit it.  What is going on is much worse than the public in general perceives.

It is unclear as to whether or not people who recover from this virus will be immune to reinfection and if so, how long that immunity will last. The seasonal corona viruses which make up 10-30% of common colds reinfect people over and over again despite their exposure to them since childhood. 

Edited by Mickey

The CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) will start in April. If they can start that fast, so can the US leagues. I expect the NBA and NHL to return in June or July.

Edited by The Fiend
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Cuomo just said the stay at home order in NYS is not something short term and we could be dealing with it for 4, 6 or even up to 9 months...

That would take us to near Xmas...the season is most definitely in jeopardy...

Cuomo is really  a great listen-- can't get enough. At any rate, some projections do have us dealing with this for close to a year. If that is the case, no sports this year. I chose "delayed," with the option to switch to cancelled if there is not a hint of gaining some ground in the next few months.

This past week was fun imagining what kind of team the Bills would be able to put on the field, while at the the same time having reality on my mind at every moment.  At best the season will have to be delayed.  I can't imagine being able to have the spirit of football work in empty stadiums.  Its such a game of momentum and the crowd is an absolutely essential piece of that.  We may be in for disappointment. 

7 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

I prefer Chinese flu. Love how Dems get so bent out of shape when Trump says that. It’s truth live with it 

I prefer the Tom Hanks flu.  When he caught it I realized that it wasn't just some communist China problem.

• Like (+1) 1

Most viruses die in the heat so no one really knows.  The projections are all over the map.  I know the Governor in FL is about to shut down all non essential businesses, meaning only grocery store, gas stations, and pharmacies will be open.  I don’t think they can cancel doctors offices, but this will not only bad for us from a health standpoint, but I feel for those who don’t work, and won’t get paid.  I’m Catholic, and they closed all masses and churches in this area.

This is about to get bad.

If it lets up over the summer I see a shortened or late start based on two reasons:

NFL greed.

The National interest. I legit can foresee the Govt. asking the league to play games simply to restore a sense of normalcy.

If it spikes again in the fall, games may well be played in empty stadiums.