Rank the moves the Bills have made

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sorry. 

Knox had 10 drops which was 4th in the league. Edelman had 13 which led the league.... difference between the two is Edelman had almost quadruple the receptions and triple the targets then Knox. 

I believe drop percentage Knox led the league. 10 drops on only 28 receptions and 50 targets is atrocious. 

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Guess it's Fox vs NBC. NBC lists them as having 9 and 6.

Can't find drop rate, but I bet there are plenty of guys who had a 100% drop rate because they had one opportunity and dropped it, so you'd have to have a minimum threshold to determine that Knox had the highest.

1. Quinton Jefferson - smart football people, including Greg Cosell, really like him. Contract is very fair

2. Mario Addison - 29.5 sacks the last 3 years. He's old, but 14 sacks over the next 2 years @ $22M & this signing is worth it

3. AJ Klein - He's fast & big. The Bills now have the ability to have 3 LB's that can cover in base D. I think this was an underrated signing.

4. Vernon Butler - A 1st round "bust" in Carolina will become a nice DL rotational piece in Buffalo. I think there's talent and upside.

5. Quinton Spain - An avg. starter for a fair price.  After seeing avg. OL get $10M/yr. in FA, $5M/yr looks pretty good.

6. Josh Norman - He has not played well of late. Coming back to an advantageous scheme (more zone) might be the medicine he needs.

7. Stefon Diggs - The skill is great, worry about his attitude & price was steep. The value is his remaining deal, but will he want a new one???

8. Jordan Poyer - Poyer was a wonderful signing in '17. As this roster continues to build, there will be tough decisions to be made, I thought letting Poyer walk would be one of those tough decisions.  I don't think he's a great deal @ $10M a season & I thought Jaquon Johnson could've adequately replace him in '21.  I would've preferred paying that money to Bryan Bulaga in FA this year and gotten a legit RT.

Edited by Estro

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This idea came to me when replying to a post in the Trade Trent Murphy thread. Idea is simple - rank in order of preference the moves the Bills have made this week and a short justification for your ranking. 

Here is mine:

1. Trade for Stefon Diggs - love the player, been a huge fan for a few years now. The Bills had a need for a #1 guy and while they spent their 1st round pick to do it they got a guy who is more complete than any receiver that was likely to be there for them at #22. Elite route runner who can run the whole tree. Slam dunk deal. 

2. Signing Quinton Jefferson - perfect piece for our defense. Can play as a stout "big end" in our base defense who will set the edge and play the run and then he will take Lorenzo's job as an inside rusher from the tackle spot in our all our rush package. Underrated player coming from a similar scheme in Seattle. 

3. Extending Jordan Poyer - I was firmly in the camp that wanted to keep Poyer. I think he is a good starting safety and more than that his telepathic relationship with Micah Hyde is not one that can just be struck up with anyone. It allows the Bills to do so much late disguise with their coverages and I think it broke down once all year. What they do back there is not easy. To have only one breakdown is pretty special. 

4. Retaining Quinton Spain - thought Spain had a good first year here he is a player I have always liked going back to his time with the Titans and I think we will see an even better version in 2020. 

5. Signing Vernon Butler - I agreed with the decision to let Jordan Phillips walk and while the Bills are clearly going to look to Ed Oliver to assume an even bigger role as the starting 3 tech, Butler is an experienced vet who gives them depth at that spot and knows the scheme. Love the contract as well which allows the Bills to get out for only $1m after this year. 

6. Signing Josh Norman - I know he struggled his last season and a half in Washington but he wasn't overall the disaster in DC that is sometimes claimed. He knows and fits the scheme, it is a one year deal and if he has anything at all left he is an upgrade on Levi Wallace. Age is a legitimate concern though. 

7. Signing AJ Klein - Klein was a prized free agent when leaving Carolina but never quite solidified himself as more than a replacement level starter in New Orleans. I think the contract is a little rich but again he is a solid vet who knows the scheme and it is a position that the Bills will not regularly have on the field as they play so much nickel. 

8. Signing Mario Addison - meh. I hate old pass rushers. The Bills seem to be collecting them. He will be 33 by week 1 and we are paying him $10m a year. Nothing against him, he has been a really good player and he knows the scheme but I am very doubtful his production will be able to live up to the contract.

9. Restructuring Tyler Kroft - I don't hate this because of Kroft per se. I know he has struggled to stay healthy but I do think there is a player in there if he can stay healthy and contribute. But the fact that they essentially chose to tie him in this year in exchange for voiding 2021 means I suspect they are rolling with what they have at tight end. Dawson Knox it is over to you. 

Agree with all of it except Addison 

and I totally get the age thing but like Lorax I felt that he actually got better as he got older

10 million a year?  It’s the going rate for. Productive edge

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Agree with all of it except Addison 

and I totally get the age thing but like Lorax I felt that he actually got better as he got older

10 million a year?  It’s the going rate for. Productive edge

One of my Bills specific bold predictions will be that Mario Addison has fewer sacks (6.5) and fewer QB hits (18) in 2020 than Shaq Lawson had in 2019. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

One of my Bills specific bold predictions will be that Mario Addison has fewer sacks (6.5) and fewer QB hits (18) in 2020 than Shaq Lawson had in 2019. 

The corollary bold prediction is that Shaq nor JP finish out their current contracts with their new teams.

In order of "like" --

1. Diggs

2. Jefferson

3. Spain

4. Klein

5. Addison

6. Butler

7. Norman

Not including Poyer extension here because (in my mind) that was a foregone conclusion.  It would be a huge DISlike if they hadn't gotten this done.

45 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The corollary bold prediction is that Shaq nor JP finish out their current contracts with their new teams.

Yea that wouldn't surprise me. I definitely wasn't keeping Phillips and I think the Bills made Shaq a very fair offer but he got more from Miami - I wouldn't have matched that. 

I am not arguing we should have kept either of those guys. Just that I am really very sceptical that Addison at 33 can live up to the contract the Bills gave him.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that wouldn't surprise me. I definitely wasn't keeping Phillips and I think the Bills made Shaq a very fair offer but he got more from Miami - I wouldn't have matched that. 

I am not arguing we should have kept either of those guys. Just that I am really very sceptical that Addison at 33 can live up to the contract the Bills gave him.

I hear you and that’s reasonable. I for one take the perspective that we are gambling on Addison being more productive in the short term than Shaq instead of standing pat with the same flawed guys. And I love that. 

Resigning Poyer is my favorite move along with restructuring Lotulelei. I love Diggs, but his impact will be limited by Allen's inaccuracy. We've done nothing for the OL and all these new guys(except Diggs) are just backup caliber players. There's still time to salvage this offseason though.We need 5 big upgrades -- CBx2 (Outside and slot), RT, RG & DE. Of course the biggest upgrade that we need most is QB, but I have a bad feeling they are going to let Allen hold this team back for years.

Edited by GreggTX

14 hours ago, elijah said:

1.) Quinton Spain: 3yrs/$15M is the nicest hometown discount we’ve seen in years. I was adamant about improving the offensive line and unfortunately were sitting still, resigning Spain on such a deal is a solid consolation prize. 

2.) Mario Addison: Old and overpaid? I see 39 sacks in 4 years, 11th most in the NFL, on essentially a year-by-year deal. Nearly half of the $30M comes in year one with very little guaranteed after. 

3.) Stefon Diggs: Couldn’t put him first because I have to be able to say I had reservations about trading our 1st if it doesn’t workout in hindsight ?

4yrs/$46Mish for a top 15 receiver in the game that addresses our top need, you can’t be upset about that. Diggs should hopefully give our offense another element, although I want more improvement here still. 

4.) Butler/Jefferson: Solid depth deals with guys players that the film guys like as much as Phillips and Lawson on cheaper deals than the overpaid Phillips/Lawson, the d-line should be much improved. 

5.) Josh Norman: At first it was just a small $3M guaranteed and seemed very low risk-high reward, but now with minimal improvements amongst the offense in FA, this $6M contract will stick out if Norman doesn’t perform up to par. 

Without context, this is still a low-risk, high-reward deal that shouldn’t backfire. 

6.) AJ Klein: I feel that you could’ve found a linebacker of Klein’s quality in the later rounds of the draft at just a portion of the cost, slight overpay here but McBeane love their locker room guys which Klein is said to be. 

7.) Matakevich & Jones: Small contract special teams guys here, can’t not like it but there’s not too much to obsess about. I’m HOPING — and thinking that I’m right — that Beane doesn’t think Taiwan Jones isn’t part of the answer at RB. 

Thanks for including the special teams guys - Matakevich & Jones will turn out to be important signings - our special teams needed upgrades.  Hope these guys work out - don't want to hold my breath on every kick coverage situation again this year.

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I was thinking more letter grades....

Diggs- A+(absolutely needed to make a move like this. We were desperate. Love it)

Jefferson and Addison- B(Love Jefferson and Addison, Addisons age scares me a bit.)

Spain- B- (I like Spain, but was hoping they’d find an upgrade somewhere along the interior)

AJ Kelvin- B-(Much needed depth at the LB position) 

Poyer- B-( Not the biggest fan of Poyer. He’s a bit overrated here. Thought he struggled down the stretch last season and that was evident against Houston.)

Josh Norman and Butler- C-( Getting tired of the Carolina connection. These guys are pure examples of overpays for guys they know rather than other and arguably better players at their positions)

Tyler Kroft- D(only reason not an F is because they can cut him in camp, but I hate that they more than likely aren’t upgrading the position and essentially pinning their hopes on a guy who led the league in drops with not a whole lot of targets.)

I don’t think they are done. I’d like to see them add a CB and OT before the draft. 

All of this is spot on.