Rank the moves the Bills have made

This idea came to me when replying to a post in the Trade Trent Murphy thread. Idea is simple - rank in order of preference the moves the Bills have made this week and a short justification for your ranking. 

Here is mine:

1. Trade for Stefon Diggs - love the player, been a huge fan for a few years now. The Bills had a need for a #1 guy and while they spent their 1st round pick to do it they got a guy who is more complete than any receiver that was likely to be there for them at #22. Elite route runner who can run the whole tree. Slam dunk deal. 

2. Signing Quinton Jefferson - perfect piece for our defense. Can play as a stout "big end" in our base defense who will set the edge and play the run and then he will take Lorenzo's job as an inside rusher from the tackle spot in our all our rush package. Underrated player coming from a similar scheme in Seattle. 

3. Extending Jordan Poyer - I was firmly in the camp that wanted to keep Poyer. I think he is a good starting safety and more than that his telepathic relationship with Micah Hyde is not one that can just be struck up with anyone. It allows the Bills to do so much late disguise with their coverages and I think it broke down once all year. What they do back there is not easy. To have only one breakdown is pretty special. 

4. Retaining Quinton Spain - thought Spain had a good first year here he is a player I have always liked going back to his time with the Titans and I think we will see an even better version in 2020. 

5. Signing Vernon Butler - I agreed with the decision to let Jordan Phillips walk and while the Bills are clearly going to look to Ed Oliver to assume an even bigger role as the starting 3 tech, Butler is an experienced vet who gives them depth at that spot and knows the scheme. Love the contract as well which allows the Bills to get out for only $1m after this year. 

6. Signing Josh Norman - I know he struggled his last season and a half in Washington but he wasn't overall the disaster in DC that is sometimes claimed. He knows and fits the scheme, it is a one year deal and if he has anything at all left he is an upgrade on Levi Wallace. Age is a legitimate concern though. 

7. Signing AJ Klein - Klein was a prized free agent when leaving Carolina but never quite solidified himself as more than a replacement level starter in New Orleans. I think the contract is a little rich but again he is a solid vet who knows the scheme and it is a position that the Bills will not regularly have on the field as they play so much nickel. 

8. Signing Mario Addison - meh. I hate old pass rushers. The Bills seem to be collecting them. He will be 33 by week 1 and we are paying him $10m a year. Nothing against him, he has been a really good player and he knows the scheme but I am very doubtful his production will be able to live up to the contract.

9. Restructuring Tyler Kroft - I don't hate this because of Kroft per se. I know he has struggled to stay healthy but I do think there is a player in there if he can stay healthy and contribute. But the fact that they essentially chose to tie him in this year in exchange for voiding 2021 means I suspect they are rolling with what they have at tight end. Dawson Knox it is over to you. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I can’t find a complaint for this offseason. They outperformed my expectations on signings and of course Diggs is the cherry on top. We still have possible needs/help in certain aspects but what team doesn’t? I’m 100% A+ grade so far. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't know enough about each guy to judge individually, but I love that this FO has a consistent strategy for building the team.

On defense, they continue to add reasonably priced and low-risk depth rather than signing big name FAs or committing to long term deals.  That worked very well last year.

On offense, they kept the line together and made the one big move that was critical to address the lack of offensive weapons around Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I can’t find a complaint for this offseason. They outperformed my expectations on signings and of course Diggs is the cherry on top. We still have possible needs/help in certain aspects but what team doesn’t? I’m 100% A+ grade so far. 

I read some comments by Vikings fans after the trade.  I know they could be sour grapes because he’s no longer on their team so should be taken with grain of salt.

In response to claims that Diggs was the best route runner in the NFL, they said he wasn’t even the best route runner on his team; Thielen was.  They also mentioned if the ball wasn’t going to him, he’d end his routes prematurely.

These Vikings fans also compared Diggs’ attitude, complaining and tweeting to Antonio Brown.  Of course, many on here were willing to overlook those characteristics of Brown when trading for him was being discussed.

Despite all of this, I think Diggs should be given a clean slate with the Bills and see how it goes.  Hopefully the vets in the locker room will keep him in line and he won’t be a problem.  His talents were sorely needed for the Bills’ passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

1.) Quinton Spain: 3yrs/$15M is the nicest hometown discount we’ve seen in years. I was adamant about improving the offensive line and unfortunately were sitting still, resigning Spain on such a deal is a solid consolation prize. 

2.) Mario Addison: Old and overpaid? I see 39 sacks in 4 years, 11th most in the NFL, on essentially a year-by-year deal. Nearly half of the $30M comes in year one with very little guaranteed after. 

3.) Stefon Diggs: Couldn’t put him first because I have to be able to say I had reservations about trading our 1st if it doesn’t workout in hindsight ?

4yrs/$46Mish for a top 15 receiver in the game that addresses our top need, you can’t be upset about that. Diggs should hopefully give our offense another element, although I want more improvement here still. 

4.) Butler/Jefferson: Solid depth deals with guys players that the film guys like as much as Phillips and Lawson on cheaper deals than the overpaid Phillips/Lawson, the d-line should be much improved. 

5.) Josh Norman: At first it was just a small $3M guaranteed and seemed very low risk-high reward, but now with minimal improvements amongst the offense in FA, this $6M contract will stick out if Norman doesn’t perform up to par. 

Without context, this is still a low-risk, high-reward deal that shouldn’t backfire. 

6.) AJ Klein: I feel that you could’ve found a linebacker of Klein’s quality in the later rounds of the draft at just a portion of the cost, slight overpay here but McBeane love their locker room guys which Klein is said to be. 

7.) Matakevich & Jones: Small contract special teams guys here, can’t not like it but there’s not too much to obsess about. I’m HOPING — and thinking that I’m right — that Beane doesn’t think Taiwan Jones isn’t part of the answer at RB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This idea came to me when replying to a post in the Trade Trent Murphy thread. Idea is simple - rank in order of preference the moves the Bills have made this week and a short justification for your ranking. 

Here is mine:

1. Trade for Stefon Diggs - love the player, been a huge fan for a few years now. The Bills had a need for a #1 guy and while they spent their 1st round pick to do it they got a guy who is more complete than any receiver that was likely to be there for them at #22. Elite route runner who can run the whole tree. Slam dunk deal. 

2. Signing Quinton Jefferson - perfect piece for our defense. Can play as a stout "big end" in our base defense who will set the edge and play the run and then he will take Lorenzo's job as an inside rusher from the tackle spot in our all our rush package. Underrated player coming from a similar scheme in Seattle. 

3. Extending Jordan Poyer - I was firmly in the camp that wanted to keep Poyer. I think he is a good starting safety and more than that his telepathic relationship with Micah Hyde is not one that can just be struck up with anyone. It allows the Bills to do so much late disguise with their coverages and I think it broke down once all year. What they do back there is not easy. To have only one breakdown is pretty special. 

4. Retaining Quinton Spain - thought Spain had a good first year here he is a player I have always liked going back to his time with the Titans and I think we will see an even better version in 2020. 

5. Signing Vernon Butler - I agreed with the decision to let Jordan Phillips walk and while the Bills are clearly going to look to Ed Oliver to assume an even bigger role as the starting 3 tech, Butler is an experienced vet who gives them depth at that spot and knows the scheme. Love the contract as well which allows the Bills to get out for only $1m after this year. 

6. Signing Josh Norman - I know he struggled his last season and a half in Washington but he wasn't overall the disaster in DC that is sometimes claimed. He knows and fits the scheme, it is a one year deal and if he has anything at all left he is an upgrade on Levi Wallace. Age is a legitimate concern though. 

7. Signing AJ Klein - Klein was a prized free agent when leaving Carolina but never quite solidified himself as more than a replacement level starter in New Orleans. I think the contract is a little rich but again he is a solid vet who knows the scheme and it is a position that the Bills will not regularly have on the field as they play so much nickel. 

8. Signing Mario Addison - meh. I hate old pass rushers. The Bills seem to be collecting them. He will be 33 by week 1 and we are paying him $10m a year. Nothing against him, he has been a really good player and he knows the scheme but I am very doubtful his production will be able to live up to the contract.

9. Restructuring Tyler Kroft - I don't hate this because of Kroft per se. I know he has struggled to stay healthy but I do think there is a player in there if he can stay healthy and contribute. But the fact that they essentially chose to tie him in this year in exchange for voiding 2021 means I suspect they are rolling with what they have at tight end. Dawson Knox it is over to you. 

Tyler Matakevich feels left out lol

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I don't know enough about each guy to judge individually, but I love that this FO has a consistent strategy for building the team.

On defense, they continue to add reasonably priced and low-risk depth rather than signing big name FAs or committing to long term deals.  That worked very well last year.

On offense, they kept the line together and made the one big move that was critical to address the lack of offensive weapons around Allen.

I have nothing to add.

Thank you

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I was thinking more letter grades....

Diggs- A+(absolutely needed to make a move like this. We were desperate. Love it)

Jefferson and Addison- B(Love Jefferson and Addison, Addisons age scares me a bit.)

Spain- B- (I like Spain, but was hoping they’d find an upgrade somewhere along the interior)

AJ Kelvin- B-(Much needed depth at the LB position) 

Poyer- B-( Not the biggest fan of Poyer. He’s a bit overrated here. Thought he struggled down the stretch last season and that was evident against Houston.)

Josh Norman and Butler- C-( Getting tired of the Carolina connection. These guys are pure examples of overpays for guys they know rather than other and arguably better players at their positions)

Tyler Kroft- D(only reason not an F is because they can cut him in camp, but I hate that they more than likely aren’t upgrading the position and essentially pinning their hopes on a guy who led the league in drops with not a whole lot of targets.)

I don’t think they are done. I’d like to see them add a CB and OT before the draft. 

Agree Diggs is an A and hopefully a homerun by Beane. I think if we see less of Murphy then the Addison signing will work out. Like the Jefferson and Butler pu's but I do see Ed playing a much larger role on the line. Not a huge fan of Norman but the Poyer extension was appropriate. Hate wasting time keeping Laura Kroft.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I would not call Mario Addison  $10 m a year reasonably priced. 

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I would not call Mario Addison  $10 m a year reasonably priced. 

You don't think that a guy who got 40 sacks in his last 4 seasons is good value at 10 mill? Is that because you don't like the player, or his age, or that you are disappointed he isn't the guy you wanted?

I rank these not in terms of importance but in terms of value. 

Good Moves

1- Quinton Jefferson - 2 year deal under 7 million aav? Are you kidding me? This guy was a legit good cog in Seattle's defense who also brings versitility. Just a complete steal to have him in the front 7, makes up for Phillips loss on a cheaper deal. 

2- Quinton Spain - 5 million aav for a solid guard on 3 years? That's a very team friendly deal for a fairly key position. Yes Spain isn't an All-Pro guard but he is a quality guard who is only 28 (who is only a 5 year player if I recall), he should play out the remainder of that contact at an above average level. This also keeps complete continuity along the O-line. 

3- Stefon Diggs - I liked this move but the Bills did pay retail for him. Diggs is a true WR1 who brings the pop needed, however it does cost us pick 22 which is an asset that could have been used to upgrade various other needs. But this team needed a WR badly, Diggs will turn 27 and is on a good deal. This was a necessary move to cash in pick 22 for a sure asset of immense need. 

4- Mario Addison - Solid move, they paid market value but they did desperately need someone off the edge. I would like to see the team still draft and Edge player in round 2 or 3 for depth and generally getting younger at the position. But as a stop gap for the next 1-2 season Addison brings enough pop off the Edge. 

5- Long's Option - Depth and continuity along the O-line is not as much of a luxury as it would seem. I think that O-line depth was greatly retained by keeping Long. It is a bit of a luxury but I am always for investing resources into the O-line, I think his added versatility helps. 

6- Extending Jordan Poyer - Another solid move, what I like is that this sends a good message to the locker room that the Bills will take care of their own (after letting Kevin Johnson, Shaq and Phillips walk this was needed.) They paid fair value for Poyer but I think he is productive the length of the contract. 

7- Restructuring Star - The Bills didn't make many cuts to free up cap space (Murphy, Long, and Kroft all still on the roster) but they found some little ways to free up space and this was a nice move to get a little more cap to spend. 

OK moves

8- AJ Kelvin - Seems like an OK move, 3rd LB is more and more of a niche in the modern NFL. 6 million aav isn't bad but his deal does carry dead cap next season. Positives are that he knows McD's system. 

9- Tyler Matakevich - Special Team's ace but limited value (if any) elsewhere. And the cost was high but Matakevich is one of the best special teams players in the league. The ST unit last year was average, hopefully Matakevich represents a true upgrade to the coverage and kick units. Had the aav been a bit lower I would have ranked it as one of the better moves. 

10- Josh Norman - A reclamation project, 8 year vet at a position where players play 10 years or so. Corner was definitely a bit of a need. However the deal was not completely cheap and carries some dead cap if he is cut before the season. Still a player worth kicking the tires on. 

11- Vernon Butler - Another reclamation project, coming off of his best season. Essentially a one year deal with a second year option. However 7 million plus incentives is a lot of money to spend on a 5th DT. Unless there is a plan to flip Butler or Star for picks during camp I kind of think that this move spent money that could have been better spent elsewhere. 

12- Tawian Jones - Another ST signing, solid if unspectacular signing, still nice to have another good quality ST player.

Bad moves 

13- Restructuring Kroft. I get that they saved some cap and could still cut him and save some money. But they could have gotten rid of him and saved 5 million on the cap and only take a 1.5 million dead cap hit. But instead they attached themselves 

Not sure if I missed any moves but things were certainly done well this off-season. They kept the D-line a deep quality unit, added Diggs, Kept the O-line solid and deep, and got two high quality social teams players. Would still like them to explore so more moves in the secondary  depth wise and add to the EDGE and WR groups in the draft early. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, elijah said:

1.) Quinton Spain: 3yrs/$15M is the nicest hometown discount we’ve seen in years. I was adamant about improving the offensive line and unfortunately were sitting still, resigning Spain on such a deal is a solid consolation prize. 

2.) Mario Addison: Old and overpaid? I see 39 sacks in 4 years, 11th most in the NFL, on essentially a year-by-year deal. Nearly half of the $30M comes in year one with very little guaranteed after. 

3.) Stefon Diggs: Couldn’t put him first because I have to be able to say I had reservations about trading our 1st if it doesn’t workout in hindsight ?

4yrs/$46Mish for a top 15 receiver in the game that addresses our top need, you can’t be upset about that. Diggs should hopefully give our offense another element, although I want more improvement here still. 

4.) Butler/Jefferson: Solid depth deals with guys players that the film guys like as much as Phillips and Lawson on cheaper deals than the overpaid Phillips/Lawson, the d-line should be much improved. 

5.) Josh Norman: At first it was just a small $3M guaranteed and seemed very low risk-high reward, but now with minimal improvements amongst the offense in FA, this $6M contract will stick out if Norman doesn’t perform up to par. 

Without context, this is still a low-risk, high-reward deal that shouldn’t backfire. 

6.) AJ Klein: I feel that you could’ve found a linebacker of Klein’s quality in the later rounds of the draft at just a portion of the cost, slight overpay here but McBeane love their locker room guys which Klein is said to be. 

7.) Matakevich & Jones: Small contract special teams guys here, can’t not like it but there’s not too much to obsess about. I’m HOPING — and thinking that I’m right — that Beane doesn’t think Taiwan Jones isn’t part of the answer at RB. 

I agree with your top 3. I think there is reason to be wary of Diggs but he is a very good player. I wanted a young guy in the rotation though. Butler could have been good value but they overpaid for a reclamation project. I really like what I read about Jefferson. Norman like Diggs could surprise or be a liability.

Its interesting that people are low on Klein. He transformed the NO D when he went there having been stuck behind Kuechly, Davis and Thompson at Carolina. 

For me,

Addison, Jeffersen, Diggs, Klein, Norman, Matakevich. Butler, Jones.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs  A. We paid a bunch but when you are aggressively buying you lift/take the offer.

Jefferson A - Love his potential and his position flexibility. We may be upset that we only inked a 2 year deal.

Spain A. Continuity and a starting guard for 5 million per. Beane magic again.

Addison Solid B -  he's not cheap and he's "old" but he still has production and it was a huge need. I expect them to draft his replacement in April.

Kroft. C Gives them flexibility and let's not write off Sweeney.

Klein C He adds nice depth but hopefully there is an improvement already in house or this draft.

Norman -- C- Let's see if he has anything left in the tank. At worst he'll be up and running in this defense due to his familiarity regardless of how short the offseason.

Edited by qwksilver

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Tyler Kroft- D(only reason not an F is because they can cut him in camp, but I hate that they more than likely aren’t upgrading the position and essentially pinning their hopes on a guy who led the league in drops with not a whole lot of targets.)

Actually Julian Edelman led the NFL with 9 drops. Knox was tied for 4th with a bunch of other guys with 6 drops.

The way I'll look at it is in order of needs:

What were our biggest needs from last year:

WR (A+)- addressed that in a huge way. 1st rounder totally justified for Diggs. Problem solved. With his contract (years and pay), this was way better than drafting a wideout.

DE/pass rusher (A) - Love Shaq and what he brought, but he was not a true pass rusher. Addison is a pure pass rusher (he's averaged 8.25 sacks/yr over the last 6 years and 9.75 sacks/yr over the last 4 seasons). Yes, he's older. But, two things, first, he was an UDFA, so he basically didn't play at all his first two years, and then only sparingly or situationally for another 3 years before becoming a full-time starter in 2017. He earned his way there and also therefore has less wear and tear on his body than guys who are his age and were starters in their first or second years---think of a Lorenzo Alexander-type, the best years late in  his career. And, to some people's chagrin, we still have Trent Murphy. So, they can monitor Addison's snaps (like they do with older vets) to keep him fresh and healthy (not overload him). If Jerry comes back well from the injuries he was playing with last year, he and Addison could be a scary combo rushing the passer. You can't double both of them and Ed Oliver. Plus, we could still draft a young guy to groom, but we don't have to count on him being ready right away.

Special Teams needed improvement (and leadership with Lorenzo's departure) (A+) -  In comes two of the acknowledged best STers in the league in Mattekevich and Jones. Still an important part of the game. Remember, just two years ago, our special teams probably cost us 2 or 3 games that season. I'm all in with these moves.

Needs due to departures or possible departures:

DT (A+) - We needed a replacement for Phillips. We got what many, including Greg Cossel, think is actually an upgrade in both play and versatility in Quinton Jefferson. Like a Hyde or a Feliciano, a player who has been an extremely high caliber backup, who is ready to bust out and take a starting role (even though he'll still be rotational here).

LB (B-) - Needed someone to take 50% of snaps that Lorenzo took. I don't know much about Klein, but seems like a security move. If we don't get anything better in the draft, or a rookie that is ready to start right away, we at least have a certain level of competency at the position that it won't be a major liability. Not a home run here, but a play it safe move. I expect we will be picking a LB in the draft. But who knows, back in McD's system, maybe Klein will be better than expected.

LG (A-) - Resigning Quinton Spain. On the one hand, I thought we would probably let him walk and try to upgrade there. But the fact that he is said to be really smart, knows the schemes, etc. as good as anyone; is well liked by his teammates; and having continuity on the Oline is sooo important, makes me like this move. Plus, with one of the best Oline coaches in the league, I defer to him that Spain was their best option and that he can coach him up on his weaknesses. He should still be improving though he will always lack some athleticism at the position.

CB (B) - Josh Norman is the enigma for me. He could come back and in McD's system, get back to his old play and take over the starting spot from Levi, which could make it an A+. But, if he just isn't as good as he used to be, lost a step, then we are probably overpaying for him, even though he would likely be fine as the third corner [in the Kevin Johnson role (not necessarily the slot but as the third outside corner)]. So, at worst, we replaced Kevin Johnson. At best, we get a Pro Bowl level CB. We'll see, but I don't mind the gamble, as it is basically a one-year prove it deal.

So, Beane, true to his word, will be entering the draft without any desperate needs. They have all been addressed with at least a decent-level of play. And as others have noted, with the Coronavirus scare, we may be looking at a truncated off-season for the NFL. So, bringing in 4 defenders who already know the system, another player who already knows the team (Taiwan), and resigning Spain, Long, and Kroft (see below) could really help with not being caught without enough time to get new guys up to speed.

Other moves:

Resigning Kroft (A) - I like this move for a couple of reasons. First, with the acquisition of Diggs, I think the need for a major upgrade at the TE position (like getting a Hooper in FA) was lessened. Plus, I think this team really expects and wants Knox to become the guy, and getting a Hooper (if that would have even been possible) could have stunted Knox's growth a bit. But, this is not your old Buffalo Bills, where you count on a player coming through but you don't have a plan B. Kroft is plan B for this year. If Knox. Sweeney, and Croom don't progress to a high enough level, Kroft is at least the floor of what you'll have. Despite his injury-plagued season last year, I'm still higher on Kroft being a very solid (not great) starting TE, than most on this board. And like I said about the addition of Klein, this move brings a certain amount of security to the position. And the restructure gave them cap relief and the ability to move on and upgrade next year.

Extending Poyer (A+) - No need at all to break up the strength of your defense (Hyde, Poyer, White).

DT (C) - Vernon Butler. They may be overpaying for a boom or bust player. He was a first rounder and obviously the Bills coaching staff thinks they can coach him up, but so far he has been a bust in Carolina. I don't mind them taking a gamble though. Sometimes it works (trying to reclaim high draft picks that haven't yet panned out--thinking Jerry Hughes and Jordan Phillips).

Overall, a very shrewd but aggressive offseason by Beane and his staff. I think we are in really good hands.

• Like (+1) 1