Draft: RB Prospect Opinions

2 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

I know this is a bit of a sleeper pick but Antonio Gibson - Really like him as a late rounder - Also I swear I read somewhere that the Bills looked into him(can't find it now though).

I wanted to add this video - guy looks like he could be used everywhere. If we are doing BPA with our picks - I'd use a round 4-6 on this guy. He looks a LOT faster than 4.58

He HAS to be a Bill. Dude is explosive af

If I had to rank RBs I want:

1) Zach Moss(Rd 2 is fine) - Pure punishing back with some cut - reminds me of a smaller but quicker Blount

2)AJ Dillon (Rd 3/4) - Ya he's not flashy, don't care. Pound the rock. I miss Karlos Williams.

3) Antonio Gibson (Rd 4-7) - Yes he's inexperienced but is there anything he can't do? We seem to like interchangeable pieces so he kind of fits

5 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

IMHO the Bills will select a RB in the draft.  I'm not sold on the idea that they are as motivated to pick one as some of us believe them to be.  I keep thinking that Beane will be looking at the BPA in positions DE, OT, CB, RB, and WR in no particular order.  It will depend on how their board is set and which position groups fall in the draft.  As several posts have pointed out there are several decent options at RB and I will be okay with a fair number of them.  Given the state of the roster, I don't see Beane actually making 7 picks.  I believe that he will move around on day two using day three picks to make it happen.  I expect only 4 or 5 at the most to be drafted by the Bills.

Would not be surprised if it turned out this way.

We've seen Beane make moves to get the player(s) he wants.

Edited by Mark Vader

While Antonio Gibson's size and speed is certainly intriguing he only had a career total of 33 rushing attempts at D1.  He also caught only 44 passes for his career.  There MUST be a reason that Memphis didn't try to get the ball more to such a big, fast athlete.

i think teams need to try to figure out why Memphis didn't give him the ball much more often and then maybe you consider him starting in round 5, unless there is a very good explanation for why he got SO few touches at Memphis.

12 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

I know this is a bit of a sleeper pick but Antonio Gibson - Really like him as a late rounder - Also I swear I read somewhere that the Bills looked into him(can't find it now though).

I wanted to add this video - guy looks like he could be used everywhere. If we are doing BPA with our picks - I'd use a round 4-6 on this guy. He looks a LOT faster than 4.58

77 touches and 14 touchdowns. Explosive, versatile, and plays special teams. I had never heard of this kid but to me he is a perfect late round pick for any team. The only question is how far does he fall? I'd be surprised if he makes it passed the 4th round

For this team, the main things I'm looking for in a RB in no particular order are:

1. Can play on 3rd downs AKA can be a receiving weapon and hopefully can block decently, but the receiving part is more important
  2. Can create big plays
  3. Comfortable running out of the shotgun

AJ Dillon, who seems to be very popular here, doesn't meet any of those criteria IMO. He might be the worst projection in the class in terms of being a receiving weapon out of the backfield. There are only two RBs in the class (Eno Benjamin and Josh Kelly) with a lower breakaway % than Dillon. And pretty much every carry Dillon has ever received has been under center; he needs that running start to get going and that limits the ways you can use him. He just doesn't fit what we should be looking for unless you're purely looking for a goal line back, in which case he's worth nothing more than like a 6th-7th round pick due to how niche that role is.

Some of the guys that fit those criteria are (listed in roughly the order I'd expect them to be selected):

• DeAndre Swift (3/3)
  • Jonathan Taylor (2/3)
  • JK Dobbins (3/3)
  • Edwards-Helaire (3/3)
  • Zach Moss (3/3)
  • Cam Akers (2/3) - doesn't have the big plays statistically speaking, but could argue that was due to his OLine)
  • Eno Benjamin (2/3)
  • Darrynton Evans (2.5/3)
  • Lamical Perine (2/3)
  • Ke'Shawn Vaughn (2/3)
  • Anthony McFarland Jr. (2/3)
  • Darius Anderson (2/3)

I would imagine the first 4 are legitimate considerations at #54 (if they're available, though I suspect at least 1 of them will be). Moss, Benjamin, and Evans seem like options for Round 3 or 4. The last three seem like later Day 3 options/possibly UDFA in the case of Anderson.

I'm generally not in favor of taking RBs early, but I'd be fine with taking one of the top 4 guys at 54 if they're available and would be happy to add any of the other guys later on if we pass at 54.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

AJ Dillon is the perfect compliment to Singletary but I won’t be angry if we get Taylor or Edwards early  

I like how Dillon protects the ball when he runs. Always has the ball in a vice grip tight against his body. Akers carries the ball low and away from his body (ala Shady) and Taylor already has a rep to fumble. Ball security is a big deal to me though I do feel Akers and Taylor are the prospects with higher ceilings.

10 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

If I had to rank RBs I want:

1) Zach Moss(Rd 2 is fine) - Pure punishing back with some cut - reminds me of a smaller but quicker Blount

2)AJ Dillon (Rd 3/4) - Ya he's not flashy, don't care. Pound the rock. I miss Karlos Williams.

3) Antonio Gibson (Rd 4-7) - Yes he's inexperienced but is there anything he can't do? We seem to like interchangeable pieces so he kind of fits

Gibson would be a nice fit if could get him in Round 4. Yet with him running a 4.37 he might go sooner than later. 

My sleeper is Michael Warren from Cincinnati.  Had 2600 yds rushing and almost 500 yds receiving for 36 TDs the last 2 years.  5'9" 226 lbs back who led NCAA in percentage of yards gained after contact last year.  Nickname is "The Truck".  Could be had in 5th or even 6th rd.

Rush Rush Rush Rush Rece Rece Rece Rece Scri Scri Scri Scri
Year School Class G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Cincinnati  
2017 Cincinnati FR 12 54 324 6.0 1 5 57 11.4 0 59 381 6.5 1
*2018 Cincinnati SO 12 244 1329 5.4 19 25 232 9.3 1 269 1561 5.8 20
*2019 Cincinnati JR 14 261 1265 4.8 14 21 153 7.3 2 282 1418 5.0 16

Here's excerpt from NFL Combine draft overview by Lance Zierlan

Overview

Burly, interior runner who faced his fair share of foggy boxes and early traffic but used footwork and contact power to create yards for himself. Warren's touchdown production is a product of build and running demeanor. While he lacks the burst to consistently gain yards outside the tackle box, he should be able to keep doing his thing between the tackles thanks to vision, footwork, balance and power. He has pass-catching talent and can be activated as a basic route runner, but isn't trustworthy enough in protection to secure third-down duties. He has a shot as an early down backup with short-yardage ability who can grab a catch here and there.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

If they trade up to the end of the 1st or the beginning of the 2nd for Edwards-Helaire,I would love to pair him with Motor. Otherwise take a. 1 year flyer on a veteran in free agency. 

Trading up that high will be burning the vast majority of their valuable picks, so I don't think that they'll do that.  It would cost their 2nd and 3rd to get near pick 10 of the 2nd round.

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Trading up that high will be burning the vast majority of their valuable picks, so I don't think that they'll do that.  It would cost their 2nd and 3rd to get near pick 10 of the 2nd round.

If that's the cost maybe it's too much.My strong instinct is that this kid will be a force in the  league.