Gardening

BUFFALOKIE

25 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I planted everything in a smallish area.  The squash leaves keep covering the tomatoes ? 

Add in  30 plus days in the 90s and practically 0

rain didn’t help.  

if water every day. Maybe they don’t like the chlorine ;)  

Do what my wife does - she leaves water out so chlorine leaves water.  Even when she takes a shower she lets the water fill pails while it is getting hot.  This water she uses for fish tank and flowers.  We capture rainfall when it does rain again saves it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I haven't had any tomatoes but the squirrels have had several.   The seem to like green tomatoes even if they aren't fried.?️

We have friggin chipmunks who love to take a few bites of the almost ripe tomatoes then leave it...same with zucchinis, birds and deer got the blueberries and blackberries...I hate nature!! ?

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

'Maters!  First one is bigger than my hand.  Cut ones in the foreground of the 2nd pic had some squirrel damage.  Those Rascally Rodents!

image.thumb.png.485a86c9fa59e5bcca6b3be24891ebae.pngimage.thumb.png.b7b36309354d719fe62507fc8c9423ff.png

Awesome!  We've had some mortgage lifters and cherry ripen, some with chipmunk damage...roma's and german johnsons are not ripe yet

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

We have friggin chipmunks who love to take a few bites of the almost ripe tomatoes then leave it...same with zucchinis, birds and deer got the blueberries and blackberries...I hate nature!! ?

Awesome!  We've had some mortgage lifters and cherry ripen, some with chipmunk damage...roma's and german johnsons are not ripe yet

My roma plants are doing well.  4-5 on each plant.  The big boys are the ones that aren't doing much.  Only one tomato in the entire garden has begun to visibly ripen.  Such a crazy year.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

I find a air pellet gun works wonders on those little critters.   

just saying. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I find a air pellet gun works wonders on those little critters.   

just saying. 

Man, I've been saying that to my wife for awhile...she's against it, though she's pretty pissed about those critters, so.....

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Man, I've been saying that to my wife for awhile...she's against it, though she's pretty pissed about those critters, so.....

My father has recently taken up feeding chipmunks shelled peanuts.  They'll climb up his leg (as he's sitting on the porch), take a peanut, then climb on his shoulder to eat.

12 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

I certainly hope you gave them a VERY stern talking to! 

I have never had luck with tomatoes, but I loved a good Farmers Market......I hate Covid. 

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

My father has recently taken up feeding chipmunks shelled peanuts.  They'll climb up his leg (as he's sitting on the porch), take a peanut, then climb on his shoulder to eat.

so I should lure them in and then strangle them?

• Haha (+1) 2

Starting to get a hint of yellow on our 1st rack of Ice Cream Bananas. Also finally getting some Peanut Butter fruits to ripen on the tree. Got extremely lucky and have flowers at the same time on our 2 Peruvian Apple Cacti so hoping for a fruit set on those! Mango season has been off the hook!!

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

On 7/26/2020 at 7:32 PM, Augie said:

I have never had luck with tomatoes, but I loved a good Farmers Market......I hate Covid. 

2 of the farmers markets that I frequent are still in operation.  Both outdoors and have ample spacing between vendors.  Customers and vendors must wear masks.  One market limits the number of people in the shopping area.  There must have been a line about 100 people deep waiting to get in.  I turned around, went to my alternate market and got the stuff I wanted.

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

2 of the farmers markets that I frequent are still in operation.  Both outdoors and have ample spacing between vendors.  Customers and vendors must wear masks.  One market limits the number of people in the shopping area.  There must have been a line about 100 people deep waiting to get in.  I turned around, went to my alternate market and got the stuff I wanted.

The one I go to is for the ambiance as much as the produce. They moved it from a charming square to an empty parking lot, roped it off and there is one entrance and one exit. There is a line to get your temp checked on the way. It’s just not the same. 

Heading to Sarasota, FL in a few weeks where they have/had a great farmers market covering blocks of downtown. I have no idea how they’ve handled that. It’s one of my favorite thing to do there, but I’ll probably pass. 

13 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Starting to get a hint of yellow on our 1st rack of Ice Cream Bananas. Also finally getting some Peanut Butter fruits to ripen on the tree. Got extremely lucky and have flowers at the same time on our 2 Peruvian Apple Cacti so hoping for a fruit set on those! Mango season has been off the hook!!

Where do you live? 

I am having a great year for tomatoes and Japanese eggplants. My peppers are disappointing after having my 2 best years ever. I was still getting peppers in October and even early November for the last 2 years. This year I only have a few cayennes and jalapenos, and almost no bells. Not sure why.