Gardening

BUFFALOKIE

Thanks for resurrecting only the second thread I have started in 12? years here!

Some jackass switched all the plants around at home depot, or I temporarily forgot how to read. I wound up with 8 cherry/grape tomato plants and 2 romas. Not a single slicer, dammit. The cherries are awesome, but there is no way I care to eat them all. There are sooooo many! I have harvested hundreds already and I am guessing 200+ on the vine right now. Many ripe red beauties falling in the dirt (especially with our recent storms). 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

We are always giving neighbors tomatoes ? as there grow in abundance.  

my neighbor has a squash plant on his front step planter but it just isn’t growing.  I told him to move it to the back yard.  

I gave them a zucchini yesterday.  

How did they react when you whipped it out? Did they both enjoy it?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I gave the big one to my neighbor. She was very pleased.  
?

Meg Ryan says she might not have been quite as pleased as you think. Just sayin’........

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I seem to be losing more plants this year then usual. Something is getting into the gardens at night. They have already broken a couple corn stalks, pulled out 3-4 squash plants, 4+ cucumber plants and cut a couple beam and pea plants.

Opossums don't care about anything, other than what they want. Very cool animals though, as imposing as they might look they very rarely bite.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Opossums don't care about anything, other than what they want. Very cool animals though, as imposing as they might look they very rarely bite.

It could be one of the following

- Oppossum

- Skunk

- Raccon

- Squirrel

- Cat

- Ground Hog

All animals I have seen at one time or another in my backyard while living here (I know the Cat has been there because I find its Sh*t in there a bunch of times but I don't know if they would eat vegetables) Just last Friday on my way to work I saw a Fox and a Deere nearby, but have never seen them in my yard and doubt the deer could or would get into my yard.

Its funny because the Peas and even some Tulips I had in a front garden this spring look more like they were just cut instead of chewed or pulled out.

As for Oppossums, as a young kid we had one on our rear fence near our garden one evening, my dad thought it would be a cool photo with my sister so he told her to go over by it but she wouldn't because it was making a hissing noise. Years later I was in the garage and a few times I heard something russling around but didn't see anything. So I heard it again and found the sound coming from behind some plywood. I pulled the shhet of plywood back and came face to face with one. I dropped the sheet and backed out of the garage. I went in side and told my mother that I figured out what was making the noise, she suggested i try to get it out by hitting it with a shovel. I went outside and threw some thing into the area to hopefully scare it away but when i looked it was already gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Moly do I have a lot of cherry tomatoes! Six plants.

No less than 500 so far. And still full of ripening fruit.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
I will estimate 1,000 so far, easy

On 7/12/2020 at 7:18 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

We are always giving neighbors tomatoes ? as there grow in abundance.  

my neighbor has a squash plant on his front step planter but it just isn’t growing.  I told him to move it to the back yard.  

I gave them a zucchini yesterday.  

It is impossible to grow squash here without chemicals.

They grow fast, huge and leafy.......then, dead in two days when the squash bugs wake up, the squash plant is dead seemingly instantaniousy

Edit to say, Dawn dishsoap and water is an extremely effective bug killer! 

Have not needed it yet this year on my maters

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

12 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

They grow fast, huge and leafy.......then, dead in two days when the squash bugs wake up, the squash plant is dead seemingly instantaniousy

Last year I had the opposite with Squash. I had so many we were giving them away from just 2 plants. Every couple days I had another couple big ones ready.

13 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

the zucchini was first then the squash leaves grew and grew overshadowing the nearby plants. 

I can trim leaves but they seem to grow overnight 

my mistake was putting them inside the 8 by garden frame. 

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have two tomato plants with one tomato/each.  Unheard of.  I usually have more than we can eat.  But the peppers continue to thrive.  What a weird year.

2 tomato ? plants with about 15 each.  They are getting fat and just started to turn green to yellowish before turning red 

My wife does more herbs then fruits and vegetables but is trying to grow snow peas.  I do like the mint in my salads.  She has been growing some Chinese leafy vegetable not spinach but spinach like and adding it to salad as well.  She has a friend she has been trading plants with.  Her friend recently requested some berry branches for some Chinese medicine and occasionally she comes over to pick honeysuckle for tea and medicine.

19 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Does Dawn and water work on the squash bugs? 

I try to start the plants either early (indoors) or late to avoid peak squash bug season.  But I share your experience.   I'd drive around with my windows open hoping someone who grows plentiful zucchini will leave a couple in my car, but being this is the big city I'm afraid something else would be left.

You are never to old to learn something about yourself.

What I learned this summer is I am not a happy gardener. My flower beds grew out of control with weeds and I have zero motivation to fix the problem. I'd post pics but they aren't for the squeamish.

Dirty Harry said "One must know their own weaknesses." Knowing my weakness, I'm removing the flower beds and having them replaced with POG (Plain Old Grass). Right up to the bricks of the house.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

'Maters!  First one is bigger than my hand.  Cut ones in the foreground of the 2nd pic had some squirrel damage.  Those Rascally Rodents!

image.thumb.png.485a86c9fa59e5bcca6b3be24891ebae.pngimage.thumb.png.b7b36309354d719fe62507fc8c9423ff.png

#Jealous!  I've picked one small one. Look for a road side stand that had "real" tomatoes today but they were fake gassed greenhouse cardboard tomatoes still. No BLT's tonight ?

• Like (+1) 1