Gardening

BUFFALOKIE

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 11:44 AM, BUFFALOKIE said:

Sorry, I tried searching, but IMO the search function sucks.

Where is the "are you starting a garden" thread?

i thought i started that thread but looking through my topics started, i don't see it. not sure what the archiving mechanism is with regard to this forum, but this thread should do.

i find it hard to believe that with everything that is going on in the world, this thread is not active, at all.

myself, i am redoing the greenhouse, hell not redoing, i am building a new one and expanding the garden.

might have killed my grape vines by cutting them back too far last fall, dunno but i am not seeing any new shoots so far. that would suck, they were about five years old and very productive.

anyone doing anything this year? i know i can't be alone. come on, let's hear what your doing.

Edited by Foxx

I took down an above ground swimming pool and the deck next to it last summer.  The deck rested on 20 concrete pilings that each stick out of the ground about 6 inches.  I’m in the process of using some of the pressure treated lumber that was leftover from the deck demolition to enclose those pilings and make raised beds as a way to hide them. 

I’ll have flowers and vegetables.  So far I know sunflowers and tomatoes.  I’m not sure what else.  I would like to grow lettuce and snap peas.  The problem is the squirrels and rabbits.  Squirrels are everywhere, and I can look out in my back yard and see 3 or 4 rabbits just sitting in the sun. There are probably more in the bushes. When I plant a vegetable, they eat it.

40 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i thought i started that thread but looking through my topics started, i don't see it. not sure what the archiving mechanism is with regard to this forum, but this thread should do.

i find it hard to believe that with everything that is going on in the world, this thread is not active, at all.

myself, i am redoing the greenhouse, hell not redoing, i am building a new one and expanding the garden.

might have killed my grape vines by cutting them back too far last fall, dunno but i am not seeing any new shoots so far. that would suck, they were about five years old and very productive.

anyone doing anything this year? i know i can't be alone. come on, let's hear what your doing.

niiiiice, thanks for putting a little water on the seed brother! I totally forget what I wanted to say, but gardening is my thing. And Beer. 

Working from home now, pulling weeds on my lunch hour. Come on BLT sammy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I took down an above ground swimming pool and the deck next to it last summer.  The deck rested on 20 concrete pilings that each stick out of the ground about 6 inches.  I’m in the process of using some of the pressure treated lumber that was leftover from the deck demolition to enclose those pilings and make raised beds as a way to hide them. 

I’ll have flowers and vegetables.  So far I know sunflowers and tomatoes.  I’m not sure what else.  I would like to grow lettuce and snap peas.  The problem is the squirrels and rabbits.  Squirrels are everywhere, and I can look out in my back yard and see 3 or 4 rabbits just sitting in the sun. There are probably more in the bushes. When I plant a vegetable, they eat it.

you might want to line it with some 6 mil black plastic. while PT lumber no longer contains arsenic and is considered safe for raised beds, it still is a good idea to line it, imo. 

digging up my beds from '06 the plastic is still there and hasn't really deteriorated.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I am late with my tomatoes, fortunately because we had a frost a couple of days ago. 

Nice warm spring shower right now. I love spring time!

If you can grow tomatoes, you are a better Garden Guy than yours truly. Ive tried at least 4 times in 2 different states. I absolutely LOVE a “real tomato”! I just can’t grow them. I guess that’s what farmers markets are for....if only I could go to one now.

I stick to herbs, and only the rosemary is hardy enough to survive my neglect. Small yard, so I’ll keep it to that, but I sure love the fresh stuff! My parents had friends on Grand Island who grew tomatoes. Their kids ate them like apples with a little salt. I was young, but it made me a believer! 

5 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I am late with my tomatoes, fortunately because we had a frost a couple of days ago. 

Nice warm spring shower right now. I love spring time!

I'm late getting my peas and spinach in.  Got it planted earlier this week.  Chard and green beans today.

I have tomato, pepper, and eggplant plants, but still carrying them in at night ....forcast low of 50 degrees, just put them up next to the house on the porch but left them out, to start hardening off.

I’ve helped or done a garden for 30+ years, starting in my single digits. Still a bit early here in NE CT; there was a frost warning tonight, actually. It used to be Mother’s Day / mid-May to plant, but that’s crept earlier in the past 10-15 years.

Hoping the place I go to for tomato and pepper seedlings (and often a pack of butter / Boston lettuce to start things off with me growing from seeds later on) is still open in a couple of weeks. Other things I just start from direct sow in the garden because seed-starting has never really worked for me ??‍♂️.

Need to get the 1980-bought Troy-Bilt tiller running; thing is a beast yet easy to operate. That’s when they made things to last and to get the job done.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Foxx said:

I believe you did, and I think I contributed to it.

Anyhoo, I'm expanding my veggie garden this season because I want to keep all my veggies together for better pollination.  Last season I had my  zucchini in a separate space because I didn't have room for them and I had a hard time getting zucchini until late in the season.   I generally grow tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet banana peppers, eggplant, and zucchini.   I also have a small row of currants and am starting some blueberries.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've got greens (spinach, lettuce, kale) in the ground.  Some are already popping up.  I've had to cover a couple of nights because of frost warnings.

Prolly later this month / early next will get the peas, beets, and beans in the ground.  Will have to hold off on the tomatoes until mid-next month.  I hope my nursery will have supply.

I built 4 4x8 non-treated cedar raised beds to use for the garden this year.   Pretty excited to get rolling with the seeds we have growing inside right now.  

We have onions, broccoli, eggplant, bell peppers, cantaloupe, cauliflower, carrots, celery, and tomatoes going inside.   Going to do potatoes as well, but going to use barrels to grow those, a little easier than taking space up in the beds.

Can't wait until it gets a bit warmer to move them over to the beds we have setup. 

Edited by thenorthremembers

21 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

There's a "How self sufficient are you?" thread over in Gahenna.  Is that what you were remembering?

There was one here.  I think it started a few months ago.

10 hours ago, UConn James said:

I’ve helped or done a garden for 30+ years, starting in my single digits. Still a bit early here in NE CT; there was a frost warning tonight, actually. It used to be Mother’s Day / mid-May to plant, but that’s crept earlier in the past 10-15 years.

Hoping the place I go to for tomato and pepper seedlings (and often a pack of butter / Boston lettuce to start things off with me growing from seeds later on) is still open in a couple of weeks. Other things I just start from direct sow in the garden because seed-starting has never really worked for me ??‍♂️.

Need to get the 1980-bought Troy-Bilt tiller running; thing is a beast yet easy to operate. That’s when they made things to last and to get the job done.

The nearest garden supply-only to me is still closed although they are typically open by late March.  Stores like TSC are considered essential and they sell seeds and later in the spring transplants.

10 hours ago, UConn James said:

My daughter lives in NE CT.  There are a couple of places in Granby that are usually packed with cars in the summer. It’s crazy. 

My wife likes to go to White Flower Farms.  She drops a ridiculous amount of money there.  

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seeds and plants available here in MO.  Nurseries open.

Talked to someone living in Atlanta GA earlier today who was out looking at plants at Home Depot.

Home Depot is PACKED here. It’s across the street from and shares a traffic light with my grocery store. Lately, It’s actually hard to get out of the grocery store for all the HD traffic!  It seems to be an activity for people looking for something to do. Maybe they are finally getting around to those neglected home repairs and projects?  Soon, people will have bowling alleys (bars where people take turns touching all the same stuff for hours at a time) and tattoo parlors (very close quarters for long periods) again, so maybe things will slow down at HD. Ugh.....

One of the big nursery chains semi-closed before it was mandatory. They won’t let you in the doors, but you can order on line or, in our case just show up and tell them what you want. They bring it out to you. 

I had some live plant material (not very common stuff I couldn’t find anywhere) shipped to me recently. Pretty nifty setup I didn’t expect.   I’m sure gardening stuff can be had the same way. 

Edited by Augie

22 hours ago, Foxx said:

Yes, I do a garden every year but plan on expanding a bit this year. I plan on doing corn, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, peas, green beans, potatoes, watermelon and probably some type of cucumbers and peppers. Maybe radishes. 

I also have raspberry, blackberry, blueberry and “pink lemonade” blueberry plants.

I am pretty big into organic gardening. I do a fully organic garden with an emphasis on developing the soil micro-life (it’s made a huge, noticeable difference for me).

But I also have some hydroponic setups that I use for fun. I’ve experimented with a bunch of different types of hydroponic (passive and active) and aeroponic setups.

by the way @buffalokie, I know exactly what thread you’re talking about. I remember posting in it but I went back though all my posts and couldn’t find it.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1