Breshad Perriman vs Draftng a WR

With the addition of Stefon Diggs our wr group was greatly upgraded. There’s still the possibility of drafting another wr to groom for the future. I know this class is deep, but there’s always the unknown. Unless his camp is asking for a hefty contract, I believe he would round the wr group out nicely. Once considered a bust Breshad has finally caught his strive. 6”3” 215lbs, 4.35 forty speed along with a 36 inch vertical. WR sometimes take a while to develop and I believe the light has finally come on for him. His ability to stretch the field and win contested jump balls is just what the doctor ordered.

The problem with him and the construction of the roster is that he isn’t going to play very much. He just wouldn’t get enough snaps here to justify the contract he might get. A rookie or Foster or even a Rashard Higgins are better suited to that role. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have him, but there are teams out there who can offer him a bigger role in the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm at the point where I'm hoping we pick up Claypool or Pittman in the 2nd or 3rd or Peoples-Jones in the 3rd/4th if he drops that far. They will be on team friendly deals and develop and we will be set. Can't see giving another WR 6m+ for 3-4 years. We will need that money for 2021/2022 to resign our own, especially if Allen develops the way we hope.

10 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

I'm at the point where I'm hoping we pick up Claypool or Pittman in the 2nd or 3rd or Peoples-Jones in the 3rd/4th if he drops that far. They will be on team friendly deals and develop and we will be set. Can't see giving another WR 6m+ for 3-4 years. We will need that money for 2021/2022 to resign our own, especially if Allen develops the way we hope.

I am warming to the idea of Claypool as he offers a real mismatch physically and has good ST playing experience.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The problem with him and the construction of the roster is that he isn’t going to play very much. He just wouldn’t get enough snaps here to justify the contract he might get. A rookie or Foster or even a Rashard Higgins are better suited to that role. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have him, but there are teams out there who can offer him a bigger role in the offense. 

I have heard that the Bills have spoken with Higgins and that he hasn’t gotten the kinds of offers he was hoping for.  No surprise this offseason.  Tons of cheap WR talent to be had in the draft so no need to pay second and third tier FA WRs much.  Higgins would be a good pick up at a reasonable price.  Perriman too, but I’d think he’d cost more. 

• Like (+1) 2

Our need for his ability to stretch the field and win contested catches was nullified the moment the Bills brought in Diggs.  We won’t run many 4 receiver sets with our TEs in tow.  Our outside speed and inside separation is already at its best point in years.  We should let these guys gel, get as much time with each other as possible and draft one of the young (raw but promising- Pittman?) prospects in this draft.  Throwing the dice at the wall, first 3 picks will all be BPA and could fall in any order of DB, WR, RB.  

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 3

Drafting a good WR prospect to develop makes some sense.  Very seldom does a team get through a season without losing at least one of their starting WR's for multiple games.  It becomes essential for playoff caliber teams to have a guy that can fill in and contribute.  In addition, Brown and Beasley don't have an unlimited shelf life and developing a high potential player for the future will be important.  With great depth at WR in this draft, it makes sense to grab one.

We definitely need some height, especially for the red zone. I would take Perriman or Funchess, the longer they sit out there the cheaper you can get them. Or draft Claypool, Pittman, etc. Definitely the most important need behind edge rusher imo

At this point they would be spending money on a guy who will see the feild in a limited basis.  I think drafting a guy makes way more sense.  They can learn the position and have a package of plays each week.  In the draft I can see them gping multiple ways. 

Claypool or Pittman big slot or x wrs in the short term redzone threat.  Hamler as a possible weapon and future replacememt to beasley in the slot.  Finally a Shaunalt or Bowden type who can be a playmaker and future outside wr.  I think day 2 those are all strong possiblites and imo will have the most value when they are on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1

I think your idea stems from a desire to take advantage of a buyer's market for WRs this offseason - with a great draft group. I think that is the reason Perriman and Roby Anderson are not yet signed.

But, there is no room on the roster to sign another FA WR. Now, if they manage to trade Duke, Foster or even Beasley .....

19 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Like it or not, and there is no reason not to like it, the coaching staff saw something from Duke Williams late last season and I believe he will be in the mix when September comes.

I hope he is still with the team next year. I just like how he plays when he's in the game. He has to earn it though and if he doesn't, that's how it goes. I trust in the process.

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1

At this point with all the current options the Bills have in the WR room.....draft one and call it quits.  I would MUCH rather see a vet RB and or a edge guy added over another WR.  There is only one ball on the field in play......