Would you trade Trent Murphy for Rashaad Penny?

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

One of the worst ideas I’ve ever seen anywhere.  Mind-boggling.  You don’t trade a starting EDGE for an injury-prone replacement-level running back with a bad attitude.  Just a horrendous suggestion.

when you put it that way.....

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

One of the worst ideas I’ve ever seen anywhere.  Mind-boggling.  You don’t trade a starting EDGE for an injury-prone replacement-level running back with a bad attitude.  Just a horrendous suggestion.

Penny actually is very talented and is gonna be a very good back

Murphy has had about 3 good games in 2 years here. He better hit the switch

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Murphy is scrub making about 7-8 million too much based on his production,  i am sure someone will tell me that getting 3 sacks over 15 games is productive as a starter.  Maybe if you're making 2-3 million not 8-10 million

I guess that means Hughes and Jefferson are scrubs too.

Cut em all right?

I'm not thrilled with Murphy like most  but Penny is pretty average. 

I'd rather hold onto Murphy who can be our 3rd DE then to trade for Penny who would be competing with Yeldon. 

Keep Murphy draft an RB

19 minutes ago, below said:

I guess that means Hughes and Jefferson are scrubs too.

Cut em all right?

Hughes lost a step last season but he is still a more effective player in ever facet than Murphy. And I really like the Jefferson signing, after Diggs it is my next most favoured move they made this week. 

The criticism of Murphy is not because I hate all things Bills, or because I am a natural negative pessimist, or because I "scout box scores" as others have suggested. I watch every Bills game live, a second time in the condensed version and the overwhelming majority on the all22 too (@Miami and home to the Jets are the only two from last year I haven't sat through the all22 of). I am critical of Murphy because I see him make mistakes on the field consistently.

He is currently slated to be the 3rd or 4th highest paid player on the team in 2020. There is simply no way he has played at a level even close to justifying that money. Obviously the fact he is still here might suggest McDermott and Beane see it differently. That is fine. But cut it out with the depicting everyone who says anything critical as a hater crap. It is bargain basement debating technique. Some of us put the effort in before we form our opinions. 

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

tIf Murphy is not entrenched on this roster, warranted or not, then my thinking is acquire an asset that would grow in value. Taking on Penny’s acontract would be no big deal and needing him isn’t the same as using him. We don’t need him but if he is going to be anywhere near the player that he is projected to be than we could most certainly could use him, if not this year than next. If this is flawed thinking than why do we still have a 29 year old player that has never played NFL football before still on our roster like we do with Christian Wade? The guy is from another country and doesn’t even know the rules of the game. I’ll tell you why, it’s because he has ability and is viewed as an asset, that’s why.

Sitting on Penny is like sitting on a stock. The better he performs then the higher his value goes. If Murphy isn’t in the Bills’ future plans, and I don’t think he is, then this is a low risk investment. A part of the success that the Patriots and even the Eagles under Andy Reid’s watch were to buy low and sell high. They would do that by trading off players a year or 2 before they were done and obtaining veterans cheaply with a year or 2 left in the tank. I don’t see Murphy being much more than what he is right now. I’d rather have a former 1st rd 24 year old with a very high ceiling than a soon to be 31 year old that pretty much has maxed out. The McBeane’s are here for the long haul and it’s calculated moves like this that maximizes your opportunities. 

correct me if I'm wrong, but Wade is still on the exempt list and doesn't count as a roster spot or even the base practice squad. That's why.

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hughes lost a step last season but he is still a more effective player in ever facet than Murphy. And I really like the Jefferson signing, after Diggs it is my next most favoured move they made this week. 

The criticism of Murphy is not because I hate all things Bills, or because I am a natural negative pessimist, or because I "scout box scores" as others have suggested. I watch every Bills game live, a second time in the condensed version and the overwhelming majority on the all22 too (@Miami and home to the Jets are the only two from last year I haven't sat through the all22 of). I am critical of Murphy because I see him make mistakes on the field consistently.

He is currently slated to be the 3rd or 4th highest paid player on the team in 2020. There is simply no way he has played at a level even close to justifying that money. Obviously the fact he is still here might suggest McDermott and Beane see it differently. That is fine. But cut it out with the depicting everyone who says anything critical as a hater crap. It is bargain basement debating technique. Some of us put the effort in before we form our opinions. 

Have you watched enough of Penny to say he's worth giving up Murph for ? It's still harder to find decent de's vs. rb's. Especially considering we lost Shaq and Hughes just came off of surgery. I don't think it's worth it. There are rb's out there still without having to give up assets for.

14 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Have you watched enough of Penny to say he's worth giving up Murph for ? It's still harder to find decent de's vs. rb's. Especially considering we lost Shaq and Hughes just came off of surgery. I don't think it's worth it. There are rb's out there still without having to give up assets for.

To be honest, probably not, but the games I saw him play last year before injury I thought he was starting to put it together as an NFL running back. And I liked him coming out of college. I agree decent DEs are harder to find. I would just rather we found one than paying a below average NFL starter $10m for the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It looks like Penny will start the season on the PUP list but should be ready after that. If the Bills are willing to sit and wait then they may be ending up with a stud RB to pair with Singletary. 

NO.

DE is a weak point and Murphy is much better than fans want to admit and as always can get backs anywhere.

Not unless we sign Clowney.  Trent is solid depth bringing heat.  We certainly could use a better pass rush. As great as our defense was last season, with a pass rush we will be elite with pressures, knock downs, and sacks

Edited by Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not unless we sign Clowney.  Trent is solid depth bringing heat.  We certainly could use a better pass rush. As great as our defense was last season, with a pass rush we will be elite with pressures, knock downs, and sacks

The guy who averages 4 Sacks per season isn’t bringing heat.  

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The guy who averages 4 Sacks per season isn’t bringing heat.  

That would be 4.8 sacks per year for Murphy

Clowney has averaged exactly 6 sacks per year. He's en fuego!!

On 3/22/2020 at 9:06 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

I have to be honest, but I put myself through the torture off rewatching the Houston game on NFL Network yesterday, and I know someone else pointed it out somewhere on this site, but Murphy was one of the best players on field. If that’s the fully healthy Murphy we are getting this season, then he will be worth the price tag. So unless they wind up with a Clowney type or trade for a guy like that, Murphy stays. 

And if we had Stefon Diggs, we win that game handily. 

Since we’re talking pro-forma, playing Hou without DeAndre and Bills win as well. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/22/2020 at 12:21 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s in the rotation because we overpaid him.  He is the definition of replaceable.  He is Chris Kelsay 2.0.  

I never got the Penny pick for Seattle.  But would I trade a JAG DE for a first round talent that I liked who hasn’t hit their stride yet? Hell yeah.  Seattle probably won’t even make that trade anyways.  

I completely disagree. Murph couldn't hold Kelsay's jock.  Kelsay was a decent defensive end and did just fine playing opposite of Schobel.  He never lived up to his 2nd round hype but he was a legit NFL starter and considerably better than Murph.

People mostly remember Kelsay's time as a standup OLB edge rusher and his seemingly annual contract extensions which were just mind boggling. Gailey and his string of brilliant defensive coordinators deserve blame for letting Kelsay get burned in coverage all day.  Playing his natural position, Kelsay was a halfway decent DE.

EDIT: Nevermind.  Just checked his stats and it turns out KELSAY SUCKSSSSSSS!!!

Edited by Jauronimo