Would you trade Trent Murphy for Rashaad Penny?

Btw, I would still like the Bills to draft a RB this year but it wouldn’t have to be such a high priority. Singletary and Yeldon to start the season, Penny exempt for the first 6 weeks and have a rookie Waiting in the wings until the pecking order clears up.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

One of the worst ideas I’ve ever seen anywhere.  Mind-boggling.  You don’t trade a starting EDGE for an injury-prone replacement-level running back with a bad attitude.  Just a horrendous suggestion.

Some are just desperate to get rid of Murphy and would agree to anything!  

All teams need SOME players for fans to bash so they feel connected to game.

You know Murphy is high on the TSW whipping boy list when we're trading him for a backup RB who tore his ACL three month ago!

Joking aside, I get the guy has looked good in very limited flashes, but he's been a distant 3d in carries in Seattle for two years and is coming off a major injury.  Surely the Bills can find a back of equal or better quality via draft or FA.

Man, we've had a real whiplash of opinions on Trent Murphy. When we signed him people were claiming that he was going to be elite and put up double digit sacks. I got toasted for pointing out that he was merely an average defensive end.

Now people call him trash and I have to go the other way. Murphy is an average defensive end. He can help your team and he's a valuable piece on the line.

There's no reason to view him as anything less or more than he is, people.

I have yet to read a persuasive argument supporting the assertion that Murphy is a scrub. He seems to do his job reasonably well on a consistent basis, the coaching staff likes him, and his PFF score (flawed as PFF is) was better than that of Shaq, Lorax, and Hughes last year.

What I see is a lot of box score analysis that weighs sacks way too heavily.

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

A rotational DE is more important to the team than an oft injured, 3rd string RB.

He’s in the rotation because we overpaid him.  He is the definition of replaceable.  He is Chris Kelsay 2.0.  

I never got the Penny pick for Seattle.  But would I trade a JAG DE for a first round talent that I liked who hasn’t hit their stride yet? Hell yeah.  Seattle probably won’t even make that trade anyways.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I have yet to read a persuasive argument supporting the assertion that Murphy is a scrub. He seems to do his job reasonably well on a consistent basis, the coaching staff likes him, and his PFF score (flawed as PFF is) was better than that of Shaq, Lorax, and Hughes last year.

What I see is a lot of box score analysis that weighs sacks way too heavily.

Mine has nothing to do with box score analysis and everything with the fact that both in real time and on the all22 I see him consistently lose lane discipline. 

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

More like,  the Bills need running backs and also need to get some younger talent at DE. Murphy is a FA next year, so this would be like getting something for nothing in my opinion. Penny has shown flashes but nothing consistent. Not a bad gamble because I would cut Murphy at this point. 

The player that started 65% of the defensive plays on a top 5 defense is 'nothing' ?

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

The player that started 65% of the defensive plays on a top 5 defense is 'nothing' ?

The nothing was a reference to the fact that Murphy’s current contract runs out after this year. I doubt Seattle would trade a first round pick after two seasons, but they might since they do need a DE.