Would you trade Trent Murphy for Rashaad Penny?

Wow what a ridiculous amount of unwarranted and convoluted abuse this guy and Star take. Penny is sort of random though.  Why not the slot corner from Detroit?  A linebacker from the Giants?  Backup long snapper from the Raiders?

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 4

If Murphy stays, it’s because the team thinks his late-season surge will carry over (which should be a huge plus for this defense).  But trading him for a RB who battled explosiveness issues and conditioning BEFORE suffering a major injury doesn’t seem like a prudent move.   This is a solid draft where RBs should slide in lieu of QBs, OLs and especially WRs.  Not the time to mortgage a large salary hit or draft capital on used tires, in my opinion.  Murphy should be fine.   

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

tIf Murphy is not entrenched on this roster, warranted or not, then my thinking is acquire an asset that would grow in value. Taking on Penny’s acontract would be no big deal and needing him isn’t the same as using him. We don’t need him but if he is going to be anywhere near the player that he is projected to be than we could most certainly could use him, if not this year than next. If this is flawed thinking than why do we still have a 29 year old player that has never played NFL football before still on our roster like we do with Christian Wade? The guy is from another country and doesn’t even know the rules of the game. I’ll tell you why, it’s because he has ability and is viewed as an asset, that’s why.

Sitting on Penny is like sitting on a stock. The better he performs then the higher his value goes. If Murphy isn’t in the Bills’ future plans, and I don’t think he is, then this is a low risk investment. A part of the success that the Patriots and even the Eagles under Andy Reid’s watch were to buy low and sell high. They would do that by trading off players a year or 2 before they were done and obtaining veterans cheaply with a year or 2 left in the tank. I don’t see Murphy being much more than what he is right now. I’d rather have a former 1st rd 24 year old with a very high ceiling than a soon to be 31 year old that pretty much has maxed out. The McBeane’s are here for the long haul and it’s calculated moves like this that maximizes your opportunities. 

Edited by Tipster19

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It looks like Penny will start the season on the PUP list but should be ready after that. If the Bills are willing to sit and wait then they may be ending up with a stud RB to pair with Singletary. 

Murphy is scrub making about 7-8 million too much based on his production,  i am sure someone will tell me that getting 3 sacks over 15 games is productive as a starter.  Maybe if you're making 2-3 million not 8-10 million

31 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

tIf Murphy is not entrenched on this roster, warranted or not, then my thinking is acquire an asset that would grow in value. Taking on Penny’s acontract would be no big deal and needing him isn’t the same as using him. We don’t need him but if he is going to be anywhere near the player that he is projected to be than we could most certainly could use him, if not this year than next. If this is flawed thinking than why do we still have a 29 year old player that has never played NFL football before still on our roster like we do with Christian Wade? The guy is from another country and doesn’t even know the rules of the game. I’ll tell you why, it’s because he has ability and is viewed as an asset, that’s why.

Sitting on Penny is like sitting on a stock. The better he performs then the higher his value goes. If Murphy isn’t in the Bills’ future plans, and I don’t think he is, then this is a low risk investment. A part of the success that the Patriots and even the Eagles under Andy Reid’s watch were to buy low and sell high. They would do that by trading off players a year or 2 before they were done and obtaining veterans cheaply with a year or 2 left in the tank. I don’t see Murphy being much more than what he is right now. I’d rather have a former 1st rd 24 year old with a very high ceiling than a soon to be 31 year old that pretty much has maxed out. The McBeane’s are here for the long haul and it’s calculated moves like this that maximizes your opportunities. 

Wade is here cause he doesn’t cost anything (not even a PS spot last year). I don’t think he makes the 53. 

You say sell high buy low but we aren’t selling high on Murphy (would be buying low on Penny). But why wouldn’t you just trade a late round pick for him if you want him. Murphy still has value (yes overpaid but still value) that will be difficult to replace. 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You sir have lost your damned mind!  You could pick a Penny off the waiver wire.  Why would you trade away a valuable defensive end for a rotational RB who famously showed up out of shape his rookie season, mostly has sat the bench, and frequently gets injured?  Beane should be fired for even entertaining something like that.

Where is the valuable defensive end? I'd trade Murphy for a toothpick and an empty tube of toothpaste. 

If the Bills make any kind of trade, I would try and get Kerryon Johnson from Detroit.

He needs a jumpstart to his career and maybe coming to Buffalo will do that for him.

He had a good rookie year with Detroit, but was pretty underwhelming last year as Detroit's running game flamed out.

Kick the tires on Johnson as him and Singletary could be one hell of a pair.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

Penny is an injury prone back that could easily be replaced with a mid rounder in the draft. Murphy is a descent, albeit overpaid DE that would be a tough replacement with no 1st rounder this year.

I think with the above trade Buffalo would not be gaining anything but if they kept Murphy and just drafted a RB then they come out ahead

I am all for drafting a RB, heck I would do so early. The offense would be set with one of the top 5 backs coming out. 

3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

What has Rashad Penny done to warrant trading a player who is a valuable rotational defensive end?

He's been injured often and buried behind other extremely talented backs on that depth chart. Have you seen him when's he been on the field and he touches the ball? The dude is a dynamic playmaker both running and catching the ball.

I'm not saying I want to trade for him, but don't discount the talent that he has. Look at his stats. When he touches the ball, he makes plays.

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If the Bills make any kind of trade, I would try and get Kerryon Johnson from Detroit.

He needs a jumpstart to his career and maybe coming to Buffalo will do that for him.

He had a good rookie year with Detroit, but was pretty underwhelming last year as Detroit's running game flamed out.

Kick the tires on Johnson as him and Singletary could be one hell of a pair.

kick the tires, team friendly, prove it deal?

I'm not sure Seattle would make that trade. They did use #27 on him 3 years ago, he did average 5.3 per carry. 

Across the the league I'd say Penny is worth a 4-6 round pick as a trade. He does have 2 years left on rookie deal. I'm not sure we would get that for Murphy.

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Johnson is still on his rookie contract.

I am just throwing this out there. I'd be surprised if this happened though.

I was just using all the cliches around here...nothing against you...I like Johnson also

3 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I suppose all the Murphy haters don’t understand the importance of a DE who sets the edge against the run, and think sack numbers are the be all end all for the position. 

Oh I do. He just sets the edge really poorly. He is constantly out of his lane, cheats inside and gives up the edge consistently and is an average at best tackler. 

I actually don't mind him as a rotational rusher. It is his edge setting that is my biggest issue. It sucks.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh I do. He just sets the edge really poorly. He is constantly out of his lane, cheats inside and gives up the edge consistently and is an average at best tackler. 

I actually don't mind him as a rotational rusher. It is his edge setting that is my biggest issue. It sucks.

I agree with you there.  But he’s still more valuable than a rotational running back.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

So he's not into setting the edge and he doesn't get a bunch of sacks. How much did we pay him? More reasons Seattle doesn't make this trade.