Dwindling cap space. Gas tank on Empty

12 hours ago, Big C said:

At this point we are going all-in on this season and next season. We won't be doing much in free agency next season, rather focusing on extending our guys like Milano and Dawkins. No need to carry a ton of cap and I'm not worried about these guys finding a way to work things out.

I agree they are going all in in the next 2 seasons.

the question surrounding this are players under contract for 2020 but not 2021.

i think Murphy has just one year left so if you can sign a DE for 2 yrs  vs his costs could drive a decision around say signing a free agentDE and cutting him.

3 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

White needs a new contract which is going to be large $$$.

I think the Bills should just get this done now. 

he is in no hurry to sign one I can assure you that

Edit: Current guestimates are about $26-$27M left

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

he is in no hurry to sign one I can assure you that

Edit: Current guestimates are about $26-$27M left

I was wondering about that.  I certainly can see why he’d want to do it under the new CBA. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Do ppl understand that most of the roster was under contract already?

we addressed number one wideout

pass rush

secondary 

solidified ol with spain

st

in the draft we will probably address 

wr

pass rush

running back

but we could literally take what we have right now and have a competitive team

one would hope on the tail end of free agency your team would be competitive 

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When does the new CBA take effect?

Effectively next season.  They did it as a 10 year extension to the agreement expiring after this season, but did tweak some rules for 2020.  The extra playoff team and game in each conference, for example.  But the money will take a jump next season (2021)  due to the new revenue split kicking in.  Then there should be another really big jump for 2023 because the big broadcasting deals expire after 2022.

Edited by BarleyNY

14 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh, it's that easy as the team deciding to do it?

Nothing involving $$$ is easy. We have some cash available now so why not get it out of the way now? 

We either open the talks and give him large investment/contract or have to do it after the season is up. I know the have the 5th year option but that is going to cost what he's going to get paid by us or something else at some point. 

I don't want to see another Gilmore situation here.  

12 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Nothing involving $$$ is easy. We have some cash available now so why not get it out of the way now? 

We either open the talks and give him large investment/contract or have to do it after the season is up. I know the have the 5th year option but that is going to cost what he's going to get paid by us or something else at some point. 

Gilmore wasn't nearly as good as T. White is at this point in his career.  We were having discussions on whether Darby or Gilmore was the better CB in 2015.  White may want to wait another year so the market price goes up before doing an extension.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Gilmore wasn't nearly as good as T. White is at this point in his career.  We were having discussions on whether Darby or Gilmore was the better CB in 2015.  White may want to wait another year so the market price goes up before doing an extension.

Those conversations were always a nonsense though. Gilmore probably only played one year at a Tre White kinda level here - that was Marrone's 9-7 season (2014?) when I thought he played at a top 5 corner in the league level. But he was always a solid top 10 / top 12 guy when he was here despite the fact a lot of fans hated him. And Darby better than him? Yes that was always a nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

My point is that it takes two to tango. We dont know that Beane hasnt tried, and Tre's agent has said "Thanks, that's nice, but we'll wait to see what the market looks like in a year". Once that happens, any further pushing or offers by the Bills is simply negotiating against themselves and bad business.

I would love to see an extension done sooner rather than later too. But it's not a matter of simply making an offer in order to make it happen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Those conversations were always a nonsense though. Gilmore probably only played one year at a Tre White kinda level here - that was Marrone's 9-7 season (2014?) when I thought he played at a top 5 corner in the league level. But he was always a solid top 10 / top 12 guy when he was here despite the fact a lot of fans hated him. And Darby better than him? Yes that was always a nonsense. 

Agreed, I think the open market proved he was considered a top CB in the league. He's still the highest paid CB. 

4 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

They've also got the franchise tag, providing a 6th year as well.