Dwindling cap space. Gas tank on Empty

Don't forget the Bills don't have a 1st Round Pick anymore, so they don't need $8-10 million for rookies.

Also, if they see a player they really want, they could make a cut somewhere (Trent Murphy is a popular cut choice).

I agree that we need to be smart and careful, because there are players with expiring contracts coming up in future years.

But we don't HAVE TO sign these guys to extensions right now.

Tre White will have his 5th Year Option activated, putting him under contract for 2021 as well.  

Nothing stopping us from letting Dion Dawkins and Matt Milano play out their rookie contracts, and then extending them in the offseason.  It may cost more in the long-run, but it may be a strategy to help add other players this season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

People moan if they create space and don't spend, people moan if they use. 

They can't win 

Welcome to a Bills Fans world where no one is ever happy with what they do just saying !

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Put it all together and it looks like we are sitting at $25MM right now and still some of our own young players to sign, we need an emergency fund for the season, and will probably want to carry some cap forward into next year.   It looks to me that we are likely done in free agency this year.  Any big signings would require that we dump some significant contracts to make space. 

I think Beane followed his successful free agency strategy from last year.  Expend some capital and grab one big name free agent at our position of greatest need, Morse/Diggs, and then shop for mid range free agents who provide a good possibility of an upgrade at their positions.

The Bills still need to add a few more pieces either through FA or through the draft.  This draft is unlikely to yield as many rookie contributors as previous years simply because the team is better, doesn't have a first round pick, and is drafting later in each round.  Moreover, the Bills are getting to the point that the modest type FAs they signed last season would be mostly only backups or STers going forward.  They still need to upgrade some starting positions.  Passing on a quality FA like a younger, better edge rusher than they currently have (think Clowney) or a starting caliber RB to run with Singletary (think Hyde) simply because Beane wants to keep a large "emergency fund" or have $$$ to roll forward into next year isn't wise, and it's unlikely to result in long term team success.

It's nice to have general parameters for what to spend or what to look for but a team also has to be able to jump at opportunities.   Sometimes rare opportunities arise -- like TB12 becoming a FA -- and a team has to be prepared to seize it.  There are no prizes for having the most cap space at the end of the season, only trophies for winning the most important games ... and the Bills still aren't there yet.  

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

According to Sportrac, https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/  the Bills have $33,299,716 left in the kitty right now.  That number does not include the contracts for Quinton Jefferson, Taiwan Jones, Dean Marlowe, or Tyler Matakevich.  I have no idea how much their contracts will count against the cap.  The Jefferson signing alone is reported to be a 2 year deal worth $13.5 MM. I have no idea how that breaks down into the cap, but I think it's probably safe to say that will bring the cap number down to at least $29MM.

We need to have some money in the till to sign our draft picks.  Last year people threw around the number $8 MM to get that done.  This year we have no 1st rounder so maybe we can cut that number in half and say $4 mm for draft picks and that brings us down to $25 MM.

Most GMs like to carry about $8-10 MM into the regular season to deal with injuries and other opportunities that arise.  Not sure how much Beane likes to keep in his back pocket.  We also have several players that we all anticipated that the team would tender new contracts to this off season like Dawkins and Milano that have not been resigned yet.  I'm sure Beane would also like to carry some of this year's cap forward into next year (he carried $22 MM over in cap space from last year).

Put it all together and it looks like we are sitting at $25MM right now and still some of our own young players to sign, we need an emergency fund for the season, and will probably want to carry some cap forward into next year.   It looks to me that we are likely done in free agency this year.  Any big signings would require that we dump some significant contracts to make space. 

I think Beane followed his successful free agency strategy from last year.  Expend some capital and grab one big name free agent at our position of greatest need, Morse/Diggs, and then shop for mid range free agents who provide a good possibility of an upgrade at their positions.

Thanks for the thoughtful breakdown -- more than we usually get from mainstream reporting.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I no worry....I expect Beane knows what he is doing.  So far the ship seems like it is righting and it ain't doing it by itself.  As long as Diggs works out and doesn't become a cancer I would say the Beane man is ripping it up......

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Thread title sounds like a line from

’Life in Wartime’. 
This ain’t no foolin’ around

This aint no Muddclub , no CBGB's I aint got time for that now !

5 hours ago, BobDVA said:

Yeah, all this is fine and well, how does it effect our comp pick?

exactly !

20 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

A lot of the contracts from this year and last year were smartly structured, shorter term deals and easy to get out of.  I'm not worried about cap at all

Our OP did nice job .

None of us should be worried.

Ralph is no longer cheap : )

• Thank you (+1) 1