Pats were trying to get Diggs too: which explains why the price was slightly high

58 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Or they pretended to be interested to drive up the price.

How much did they drive up the price? We gave up a 5th and 6th extra at most. We have more picks than roster spots so they likely are worthless to us anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

I'm sure it was nice to not face Gilmore twice, but it's not like it ever really mattered. Belichick really never had much of a problem beating us.

Nice. Although 2016 was the season (before Belichick signed Gilmore) where we went 1-1 in games that mattered.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

How much did they drive up the price? We gave up a 5th and 6th extra at most. We have more picks than roster spots so they likely are worthless to us anyways.

Yeah, even if they weren’t interested, which I doubt, it was still worth it.  They can always recoup those picks by trading down. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, even if they weren’t interested, which I doubt, it was still worth it.  They can always recoup those picks by trading down. 

We not only gained a WR, we got rid of a certain QB in the division who had been a bit of a PITA for a couple decades. Having said that, I’d like to have beaten him to pieces for the last year or two of his career. We deserve that pleasure! 

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

NBC Sports says the Pats and Redskins were both trying to land Diggs (i suspect the list of suitors was likely longer).

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-rumors-patriots-vikings-talked-stefon-diggs-trade-bills-landed-wr

see also

The trade already made a lot of sense:

Diggs was the missing piece in the offense. When you are a playoff team with a relatively low first rounder, you should trade it to acquire a young healthy player with demonstrated production in a position of need. And Diggs, more than any other receiver available, is the perfect fit. You have a good outside guy (JB) and a good inside guy (CB). Now you get the contested catch deep threat the Bills were always lacking despite having a QB with a rocket arm. And you have an OC, who just loves 11-personnel formations (three WR sets)  as much as anybody else. If Allen can make Foster look good (2018), just imagine how he can gel with Diggs.

While Beane is getting a lot of credit for landing the perfect piece, I dont see him getting widespread praise for keeping Diggs away from the Pats.  There has been talk that NE was trying to retain Brady by getting Diggs. With or Without Brady, the Pats would have been significantly better with Diggs. When you feel it is your time to rise to the top, you gotta be willing to pay a lil extra to slam the door on an opponent trying to get there. Which is just what Beane did! I'm pretty sure the Pats were offering a first rounder - like they did to get Brandin Cooks.

There is some talk among Pats fans about going after OBJ in a trade - but if they do that, the price will only go up after Hopkins and Diggs trades - Will take at least a first, a third and something extra. Might still be optimal for them to get OBJ if their WR draft track record is anything to go by (N'Keal Harry).

Great post ^ 

It says something about drafting and developing WRs, which can be tricky.   Teams are willing to trade for a proven #1WR, even with the upcoming WR rich draft.  

Edited by Bob in STL

Certainly glad that the Pats don't have Diggs now. Anything to keep their offense mediocre and help ours out of mediocrity.

I'm REALLY curious to see how their season goes. I think it's rational to believe that they won't have a good season, but it's also irrational to doubt Bill Belichick even without Tom Brady. We'll see. I'm guessing 8-8 for them.

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

What BOB was thinking I don’t know 

It seems pretty clear what he was thinking...if you don't do what I say and don't act the way I want you to act then I will take a bad deal to send you somewhere you don't want to go.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Certainly glad that the Pats don't have Diggs now. Anything to keep their offense mediocre and help ours out of mediocrity.

I'm REALLY curious to see how their season goes. I think it's rational to believe that they won't have a good season, but it's also irrational to doubt Bill Belichick even without Tom Brady. We'll see. I'm guessing 8-8 for them.

Honestly they would’ve wasted Diggs, especially since Brady’s not there anymore. Who would they have throwing the ball to Diggs. New England is finally going know it felt when we lost Kelly and levy or when Miami lost Shula and Marino. The dream ends and the harsh reality comes in

7 hours ago, KzooMike said:

It was a great trade for us. Our window is with Allen on his rookie contract. We draft a WR #1 and it's a high probability he never becomes as good as Diggs and virtually 100% he won't be as good this year. 

This is exactly how I'm looking at it.  There are almost certainly some WRs in this class who will be better than Diggs.  But a) we don't know who they are and b) the probability that we actually select one of those guys is under 50-50 and c) they won't be as good as Diggs now and d) Diggs is a sure thing who instantly improves our offense across the board.  I'm very happy with this trade.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Honestly they would’ve wasted Diggs, especially since Brady’s not there anymore. Who would they have throwing the ball to Diggs. New England is finally going know it felt when we lost Kelly and levy or when Miami lost Shula and Marino. The dream ends and the harsh reality comes in

Apparently Brady was waiting for the Diggs trade before he chose to leave.

6 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

So I agree, but I don't necessarily think the Pats are going to be feeling the pain immediately...sure they might have a down year or two, but I'm talking the prolonged mediocre non-relevance both the Bills and Dolphins faced that really set in about 5 years following the departure of those coaches and players.

The Bills up through the music city miracle were pretty good and very competitive.  The dolphins had the Taylor and Ricky Williams era, which was really competitive.

I think what happens is the culture that was around when you had the franchise qb sticks around for a bit. Then the front office flails around a bit, players leave and the culture goes downhill. Then they start taking bigger and bigger risks to get success again, and even if some succeed, enough fail and you go into a downspin that will take years to recover from and they get fired.

Then you bring in a new front office regime and instead of doing what McBeane did and refusing to play the hand their dealt, folding and starting again, they try to take a hand of 2 and 7 unsuited in the small blind and bet aggressively. You can't fire a front office because they created a situation that you deem is too broken to fix quickly, and ask the next group to come in and fix it quickly.

That might be the biggest quality of McBeane...the humility to not think they could fix something that everyone else failed to fix...just admit it isn't possible and start over.

That's a very long way of me saying, the Pats are potentially about to go on a long downward spiral that might start out ok, but will continue to spiral down...or they are smart and blow it up before they start making bad decisions when things start going south and hit a two or three year restart button...good luck, because fan expectations are what drive so much of that, and owners are not necessarily open to being honest about a rebuild, because that would hurt attendance and such.

18 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Definitely a pretty fair price. Those who think it wasn’t are going off the Hopkins trade, which was just insane. If that trade never happened, a lot fewer people would be complaining about the price of acquiring Diggs. 

The Texans fan base is close to a revolt on Bill O Brien after that fiasco.  If i were the Bills i would have given more for D Hop than what they gave for Diggs for sure.

8 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

If we get a true #1 receiver from this trade, it will be worth it.

We did.

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

It seems pretty clear what he was thinking...if you don't do what I say and don't act the way I want you to act then I will take a bad deal to send you somewhere you don't want to go.

Yeah but that still doesn't explain the trade compensation.  Except that for some reason BOB loves David Johnson and thinks he can return to his 2nd-year form.  Because I'm sure there were a lot of teams who would have offered more for Hopkins.