Hot Take Of The Day...

eball

1 minute ago, teef said:

Yup.  I had the exact same conversation with a guy that I grew up with.  It was disappointing. 

It’s the death of expertise. Dozens of the world’s foremost experts in the field have correctly predicted nearly every progression of the virus yet too many people believe they know better, just ‘cause . . .  I’m at a loss why people do not embrace truth in favor of defending easily disprovable nonsense. 

12 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Have you seen worldwide maps of the spread of the disease?  It's taken a bit longer to get established in Africa and South America, probably because there is more international travel between the developed nations of the northern hemisphere, but it's there and it looks like it's just earlier on the bell curve in those places.  It's going to be around for a while, but my sense is that over time some medications will be firmly identified that can alleviate symptoms so the mortality rate can be kept down somewhat and hospital capacity is less stressed.  Also, over time, as a population base is built up of people who have had it and are immune, it will spread less rapidly.  Right now, virtually everybody is a candidate to contract and spread the disease.  That's why pandemics happen.  Corona viruses, like all viruses do mutate and produce variations over time, but I don't think corona viruses do at quite the rate that influenza viruses do.  There could be another corona virus pandemic at some point, but I think it might be a while before another one happens.  

There is a TON of international travel between China and Africa. China has been investing heavily in that continent for the last decade. The reason there aren't huge numbers being reported out of African countries is due to lack of testing, not because it's not 'established' there. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Max Fischer said:

It’s the death of expertise. Dozens of the world’s foremost experts in the field have correctly predicted nearly every progression of the virus yet too many people believe they know better, just ‘cause . . .  I’m at a loss why people do not embrace truth in favor of defending easily disprovable nonsense. 

I’m guessing it’s the source of information. 

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

Hot humid days will kill the virus altogether, so I would be SHOCKED if everything isn't up and running by June.

Kindly provide the basis for your certainty on this point to those in charge of response, because this seems to be a point that experts consider unknown at present

Use the general Covid-19 thread, if you please

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

THink shes Colombian but whatever

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 

I would like to formally apologize to everyone here at TBD, their families, and friends, for my terrible mistake. Shakira IS INDEED Columbian........that's my bad, everyone. I really thought she was Brazilian. 

I'll make it up to you right now.

Image result for shakira gif

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I can get a vaccination for the flu that greatly reduces my chance of getting it.  The lack of a vaccine for this makes it more dangerous than the flu, not to mention the fact that the protocols for treating this are still developing.  It's pretty well established that when a high risk patient develops the flu, doctors know exactly what to do.  I had first hand experience with that when I developed the flu a week after surgery to remove part of my lung.

It's not just this.  The flu doesn't cause serious disease requiring hospitalization in 20% of the patients who get it.  People are all caught up in case fatality rates and not understanding that a lot of younger people who get this, 20-54 year olds, are going to hospital gasping for air and very ill for weeks.

41 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

61000 people died in the 2017-18 Flu season.

From Oct 1 2019-Feb 1 2020.  12000 have died from the flu.

It's just new so people are in panic mode. At the moment it seems to have a higher death rate but those percentages are expected to come down.

And finally, if you don't understand that the number of deaths per se don't properly predict the risk, perhaps you would like to play a nice game of Russian Roulette?  Many fewer people die from playing Russian Roulette than from driving to work in the morning, so driving to work must be bigger risk, eh?

OK, on that note....I don't have time to babysit Yet Another Covid thread and we're trying to keep TSW clear so football discussion can proceed so *click*

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2