Hot Take Of The Day...

eball

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

People are drastically underestimating the possibility that this virus mutates and comes back in fall. Particularly if there’s no vaccine by then.... summer will kill it???? It’s always winter somewhere on this planet. As long as there’s travel then contagion can spread. We’d all be better off planning for this to get worse and being happily surprised if it doesn’t. 

Still not as bad as the flu.  It is possibly due to how it is being handled though.

Let me know when there is a disease that kills 75 to 200 million and then we can be scared.

1347AD to 1351AD with a much smaller population.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm not totally discounting continuity. I think there is some value there but probably not as much as we think. The Bills started essentially the same 5 or 6 guys at OL all year and I don't think the play got any better from the first game to the last.  I think Ford's individual development will have more to do with how the line performs than then fact they are all coming back.  

I do think there is value to the defense especially in the coverage.  I suspect the coverage schemes and the disguises they use are much more sophisticated than us average fans think.  Having 4 of the 5 top guys back and Norman knowing the scheme already will be a big advantage.

And lastly, the WR adjustments during the routes will take a bit of time to develop with Josh.  The NFL game is based on fractions of seconds at full speed. There is nothing but regular season full speed game experience that can recreate those moments. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Still not as bad as the flu.  It is possibly due to how it is being handled though.

Let me know when there is a disease that kills 75 to 200 million and then we can be scared.

Sigh. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

...teams that maintain the most continuity are going to have an enormous advantage heading into the 2020 season, primarily because of the uncertainty regarding when/if teams will be able to get together to practice.  Teams with new head coaches or significant changes on their staffs will be behind.  Teams with lots of new faces will be behind.  Teams relying heavily upon draft picks will be behind.

In this regard, I'm even more ecstatic with what Buffalo has to work with.  Total continuity on the coaching staff.  Key additions are veteran FAs.  They will not have to rely upon immediate contributions from draft picks.

I think about teams like the Pats*** having to start a new QB...even in Tampa, so many new pieces to put together with Brady coming in.  In the AFC I think the Bills, Chiefs, Ravens, and Titans look like the early favorites because they seem to have this continuity in spades.

So the same 4 that would have been in that position even if it was business as usual.

14 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

It is many times more dangerous than the flu. Thus the complete world shut down. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

It is many times more dangerous than the flu. Thus the complete world shut down. 

61000 people died in the 2017-18 Flu season.

From Oct 1 2019-Feb 1 2020.  12000 have died from the flu.

It's just new so people are in panic mode. At the moment it seems to have a higher death rate but those percentages are expected to come down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

...teams that maintain the most continuity are going to have an enormous advantage heading into the 2020 season, primarily because of the uncertainty regarding when/if teams will be able to get together to practice.  Teams with new head coaches or significant changes on their staffs will be behind.  Teams with lots of new faces will be behind.  Teams relying heavily upon draft picks will be behind.

In this regard, I'm even more ecstatic with what Buffalo has to work with.  Total continuity on the coaching staff.  Key additions are veteran FAs.  They will not have to rely upon immediate contributions from draft picks.

I think about teams like the Pats*** having to start a new QB...even in Tampa, so many new pieces to put together with Brady coming in.  In the AFC I think the Bills, Chiefs, Ravens, and Titans look like the early favorites because they seem to have this continuity in spades.

Full agreement here. Thanks.

48 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

The 1% fatality rate of Covid-19 is markedly worse than the 0.1% fatality rate of the common flu. The incubation rate also seems to be twice as long. Comparing it to the Black Death is a bit sideways as it isn’t a bacterial infection spread by fleas, nor is it occurring in a time where most countries don’t have running water. A much more apt comparison would be Swine Flu since we are at a similar stage of worldwide infection. Thing is, the swine flu was the second h1n1 pandemic. The first was what’s commonly referred to as Spanish Influenza (1918-1919) during which about 0.5% of the US population died.... 0.5% of the current US population is about 16,500,000 people. Ruminate upon that number. 16.5 million mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, grandparents, friends, etc. You’ll know several people who died if this maintains momentum for a year....  If this does not mutate to a less fatal or less communicable virus over summer we may be starring down the barrel of that gun. Particularly if we act like a bunch of addlepated troglodytes, ignore known safety measures, and overload the healthcare system with critical cases. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Hot humid days will kill the virus altogether, so I would be SHOCKED if everything isn't up and running by June.

Have you seen worldwide maps of the spread of the disease?  It's taken a bit longer to get established in Africa and South America, probably because there is more international travel between the developed nations of the northern hemisphere, but it's there and it looks like it's just earlier on the bell curve in those places.  It's going to be around for a while, but my sense is that over time some medications will be firmly identified that can alleviate symptoms so the mortality rate can be kept down somewhat and hospital capacity is less stressed.  Also, over time, as a population base is built up of people who have had it and are immune, it will spread less rapidly.  Right now, virtually everybody is a candidate to contract and spread the disease.  That's why pandemics happen.  Corona viruses, like all viruses do mutate and produce variations over time, but I don't think corona viruses do at quite the rate that influenza viruses do.  There could be another corona virus pandemic at some point, but I think it might be a while before another one happens.  

19 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

It's just new so people are in panic mode. At the moment it seems to have a higher death rate but those percentages are expected to come down.

Oh, boy. 

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I can get a vaccination for the flu that greatly reduces my chance of getting it.  The lack of a vaccine for this makes it more dangerous than the flu, not to mention the fact that the protocols for treating this are still developing.  It's pretty well established that when a high risk patient develops the flu, doctors know exactly what to do.  I had first hand experience with that when I developed the flu a week after surgery to remove part of my lung.