Would you keep the HC\GM combo if Allen doesn't work out.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Absolutely. 

I said before last season I would give the FO another crack at QB if Josh doesn’t work out. They have done a good job in so many respects, and picking a QB is a total crap shoot. They have added a TON of talent. 

But bottom line...........I think Josh will be The Man! 

Yes on both points...I hope!!!

3 minutes ago, chris heff said:

What I’m most concerned about is where are they going to find FAs when there are no players left on the Panthers that they know?

The Bills sign a lot of players from the Panthers? Really? I don't think anyone has ever pointed that out before. Very original!

:rolleyes:

48 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Not the dreaded head scratching!!!

Of course fans will scratching their heads if the Bills finish .500 or worse. I'll be scratching my head as well (no dandruff!)  But only a stupid fan would translate head scratching into something that justifies firing the front office.

Everyone stays if they finish sub 0.500? Barring an injury to Allen a sub 0.500 season would mean an epic failure of either Allen or the coaching staff. How many OCs does McD get to pick before he gets the blame? Tampa Bay fired Dungy because he couldn’t get to the SB. 

All that said, even a mildly down year and I’m sure McD and Beane will be back. However if Allen regresses and he is the one holding back the team, a change at QB could happen. 

I think Allen plays better but still costs us a game, and McD game decisions will cost us a game. Even with that I don’t see any reason they are not division winners.

21 minutes ago, The Dean said:

The Bills sign a lot of players from the Panthers? Really? I don't think anyone has ever pointed that out before. Very original!

:rolleyes:

Definition of sarcasm

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

2a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
b: the use or language of sarcasm

Yes. This duo has done a very good job of a total tear down and rebuild in 3 years.

Not many teams can do that and still make the playoffs in 2 of 3 years.

I'm not a fan of dumping a FO/HC because one QB doesn't pan out, especially if I see a good plan in place and still see good results.

And I think JA is still improving.

Edited by RocCityRoller

Pts per/game under Coach McDermott

(some defensive/special teams touchdowns have inflated these)

But safe to say...this is near bottom of league which points to a combo of philosophical/talent deficit when it comes to offense.

So I guess I’m not sure what it looks like ALLEN not working out.  Because this offense and Allen haven’t really been “working out” on offense for 3 seasons and yet they have 2 playoff appearances and loses.

Is Allen supposed to beat his own teams offensive philosophy along with the opposing team?  That might be asking ALOT!

It’s all about wins baby.  I would be highly irritated if we miss playoffs for next 2 years.  I don’t see this as probable, but possible.  It’s the NFL and Josh has been erratic.  Year 3 is important.  Here in DC area, RG3 was the answer, but things changed by year 3.  We can named others.  Go Bills!

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Isn't the premise of the question that, if Allen doesn't work out, there would be no foreseeable scenario of "actually winning a SB"?  If Allen is struggling (and the Bills likely not winning) in the next few seasons, how would the team be thriving?

The team is thriving right now and Allen is developing right now.   

If Allen does not make it then you find another QB.  You do not get rid of Beane/McD because of it.  Let Beane make the changes,  which does not mean blow it up and start over.   Beane’s  body of work is more than Allen, although Allen is key because QB is always critical.  

Josh needs to find his deep ball. He needs to find the balance between “game manager no turnover guy” and “gunslinger guy.” But if he hits a few deep balls last season, we score a lot more points. To me he has done pretty much everything else right. If he had a guy who could make a contested catch like Diggs, we beat Houston. If they didn’t waste half the season giving meaningful reps to a meaningless Zay Jones, it would have made a difference. If Josh finds the balance, we could be true contenders and can really score some points. 

In terms of the braintrust, if Josh were to fail, and I truly doubt he will,  I would give them the opportunity to draft another quarterback. If that guy failed as well, then you would have to consider a change. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Pts per/game under Coach McDermott

(some defensive/special teams touchdowns have inflated these)

But safe to say...this is near bottom of league which points to a combo of philosophical/talent deficit when it comes to offense.

So I guess I’m not sure what it looks like ALLEN not working out.  Because this offense and Allen haven’t really been “working out” on offense for 3 seasons and yet they have 2 playoff appearances and loses.

Is Allen supposed to beat his own teams offensive philosophy along with the opposing team?  That might be asking ALOT!

Don’t remember us scoring many defensive or ST touchdowns last year

15 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yes, but it will be interesting to see how they handle increased expectations for the first time.  Josh is still a bit of a wildcard.  Kind of risky not upgrading the backup QB position.  

So, if Josh can't get it done you'd expect a back up to deliver the goods?

16 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Josh Allen isn't the acid test, McD's game management is.  Let's hope he doesn't boot another first-round playoff game against an inferior opponent.

I hear you, McDermott needs to be on his game.

However, Josh's performance will dictate just how far this team goes.....imo.

I'm very optimistic. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I would keep McDermott for sure and because they are tied at the hip that means keeping Beane too.

I like Beane but I do think some around here have a tendency to slightly over rate the job he has done so far. He is in credit, don't get me wrong, but for me to go all in on Beane one of his picks - Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Singletary, Knox, Ford.... needs to become an elite player. The one guy that this regime has picked who has become an elite player so far is Tre White and that was before Beane. I might argue the next most proven successful pick of the regime is Milano (for performance relative to value given up) and he was also the McDermott draft. If one of Allen, Edmunds or Oliver really takes off (it is likely those 3 to be honest) then I will go all in on Beane being a genius. 

I agree with all of this.

Beane is closer to a Whaley type GM right now. Has made some nice moves, found some hidden gems in the draft and good FA pickups, but is missing the signature pick. Has had his busts like all GM’s do.

It’s funny, you could make the argument that pound for pound, McD was the one who orchestrated the best offseason when he was driving the whole ship. Acquiring Poyer, Hyde, White, Dawkins and Milano is a better group of players than either Beane or Whaley ever acquired. That may change as Edmunds, Oliver and most importantly Allen grow.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2