Offensive Line Status Quo

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Ford.. honestly they are taking a risk with him at RT. Constantly beat around the edge and a lot of mental mistakes. Not a fan.

I think if Ford can't beat out Nsekhe in TC, then it seems like he should be moved to guard to see if he works there. 

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Do it again and you will get the same result.  That's what you get at that level.  Ford may or may not grow into a good pro, but you're probably not getting a rookie starter who is much better.  Possible, but it's a bad bet. 

You're right. The line was mediocre.  They're counting on Ford improving  and they are counting on the line growing together as a unit. 

If they get a better RT than Ford, then it's not "the same result".    A lot of evaluators thought Ford would be a better pro guard than tackle, so a kid with physical skills better suited to playing pro OT might very well be worth grabbing.

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I like Ford at RT.  OT takes years to develop now.  Nsekhe was not much better and Ford improved as the year went on.  

I'm fine with this starting five.  After the moves made in FA I probably would take Edge, OT, RB, DE, P in that order in the draft. 

That's simply untrue when discussing OTs taken in the first or second rounds.  Prospects taken that high generally need to get stronger and to hone their skills but most are perfectly capable of playing respectably as rookies.  Cordy Glenn was a competent LT as a rookie.  So was Dion Dawkins.  Dawkins struggled in his sophomore season but rebounded last season when the Bills had NFL caliber OLers beside him rather just bodies wearing OL numbers as in 2018.

6 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I wouldn't mind if a stud left tackle was available.   Move Dawkins to RT with an elite LT...this line would be awesome!

If the Bills acquired a "stud left tackle" in the draft -- highly unlikely in the bottom third of the second round since the best ones go in the first round -- I think Dawkins moving to LG might be better.  It's hard for OLers to switch sides because everything is reversed, and not every OT can play well that way.  Also, LTs tend to be quicker and lighter than RTs while RTs tend to be more powerful. 

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Ford.. honestly they are taking a risk with him at RT. Constantly beat around the edge and a lot of mental mistakes. Not a fan.

hello he's a rookie with limited experience at the position in college(one year at rt) who improved as the year went on, and now has the whole off season to work on it. he was a project at the position when he was drafted and should only get better.

We need at least 2 major upgrades on the OL. RT is a liability and so is RG. Morse is above average, but he's alone in that regard. I sincerely hope this is not the OL group we'll be using this season. If we're going to get an elite RT, we'll have to trade for him or get really lucky in the draft. Thuney and Scherff are still available at G, I believe.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Nscheke was still the better player at RT as late into the season as the Houston game.... he should start if they stick with both of them at the position.... just doubtful he holds up over the course of a season as we saw last year.

you do know that young players can improve  don't you? ford was fairly inexperienced at his position like josh was, there will be improvement. you need to be less negative it will help you in life.

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Have you ever improved at anything over time and repetition?

It appears Ford is going to be allowed to spend an entire offseason focusing on tackle. Last year at this time Ford was getting ready to look good at the combine and pro day. 
Ford knows the offense and will be able to focus on footwork and other area’s like ‘hand punch’ . I am not saying he is going to suddenly be the best RT but I do think he will improve a good bit. 

The entire line coming back and playing in the same system is huge. I have never been a big Daboll guy, but I am a fan of continuity on offense. The Oline should look much improved.

• Like (+1) 1

There were times last year where our oline completely collapsed towards the end of games. Ravens, Patriots, and wild card vs Texans games all had mediocre oline play, and were some of our biggest games of the season. Against the Eagles as well, their dline completely owned the LOS. 

Not to mention the countless pre snap penalties and boneheaded mistakes the oline guys make. Beane hasn't addressed the position yet so I'm wondering what our plan is next year. It is so vital for Allen to have a top notch oline, can't stress it enough. He took some very nasty hits last season that I had no idea how he walked away clean from. I'm still not convinced with either of our tackles. I truly think we need a franchise LT here long term. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I think if Ford can't beat out Nsekhe in TC, then it seems like he should be moved to guard to see if he works there. 

If they get a better RT than Ford, then it's not "the same result".    A lot of evaluators thought Ford would be a better pro guard than tackle, so a kid with physical skills better suited to playing pro OT might very well be worth grabbing.

That's simply untrue when discussing OTs taken in the first or second rounds.  Prospects taken that high generally need to get stronger and to hone their skills but most are perfectly capable of playing respectably as rookies.  Cordy Glenn was a competent LT as a rookie.  So was Dion Dawkins.  Dawkins struggled in his sophomore season but rebounded last season when the Bills had NFL caliber OLers beside him rather just bodies wearing OL numbers as in 2018.

If the Bills acquired a "stud left tackle" in the draft -- highly unlikely in the bottom third of the second round since the best ones go in the first round -- I think Dawkins moving to LG might be better.  It's hard for OLers to switch sides because everything is reversed, and not every OT can play well that way.  Also, LTs tend to be quicker and lighter than RTs while RTs tend to be more powerful. 

I think you overestimate what you can get in the draft.  It's only the guys at the top of the draft that you can count on to start.   You get down to to the bottom of the first and into the second, what you get is guys like Ford - guys with the physical tools but without the experience.  

There are articles every year about the fact that offensive linemen are the least NFL ready players coming out of the draft.   Many of them, and Ford is an example, played in college systems that didn't ask them to do many of things they have to do in the pros.   That's why you see so many guys who begin to have success in their third or even fourth season after college.   They have a lot to learn, and it isn't easy.  

So sure, you might find a starting offensive lineman late in the first round or in the second, but it's just as likely that you'll miss, in the sense that the guy won't help you much as a rookie.  In the 2020 training camp, a guy like Ford has a huge advantage over that rookie.    He has learned a year's worth of stuff that the rookie doesn't know.   The smart bet is that Ford will be better in 2020 than any rookie who might fall to the Bills.   Maybe not better over the long run, but better in 2020.   

That mentality is at the core of how McDermott operates.   He demands that his players improve from year to year, and he understands that if he does his job, his players WILL improve.   That approach means he has to have patience with his young players and not have an itchy trigger finger.   

So it isn't surprising at all that they're betting on Ford in 2020.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you overestimate what you can get in the draft.  It's only the guys at the top of the draft that you can count on to start.   You get down to to the bottom of the first and into the second, what you get is guys like Ford - guys with the physical tools but without the experience.  

I'd feel better if I was confident about RT, but as far as the draft goes, second round I'd still look WR or even RB. Claypool or Pittman would add size to the WR corp and we need to have another strong rb to pair with Singletary. Of course, we also need to add youth at Edge, but if you look strictly at offense, that's where I would be inclined to go.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

100% what I want.... I wouldn't be too upset if they went edge in the 2nd, but the draft should prioritize the offense, IMO.

Based on what's been reported, I'd be somewhat shocked if they went WR in round 2.... even though I'd love it. They'd go from the WR position being their biggest weakness in 2019 to being a strength of the team in 2020 and perhaps the best unit in the league.... this group is more defensive oriented so I don't expect it. 

Why do you keep insisting on adding another WR, much less in the 2nd?  At present they have 2-1,000 yard WR's and an excellent slot WR who is coming off a career with almost 800 yards.  Not to mention Duke and Foster.  Where would you play this 2nd rounder?

Edited by Doc

2- parts that bother me

1- is the short yardage we get stuffed virtually running anything besides josh getting it on the sneak/run usually requires being outstretched breaking tackles etc. just to pickup the 1/2 yard.

2- both Tackles Cody Ford was over matched often last year, I do think he's going to be very good year two he needs to come along. Dawkins at times he plays very well but he's not that franchise tackle we all hope for. While Ford will be only 23 until the end of next season Dawkins will be 26 next month. I hope he can develop into that money player great teams need.

Other than that I like the o-line, sure if I had a wish list

need a little nasty to it, Feliciano has it Spain every now and then but that's it

Morse is so agile and can get out in front like nobody .vs the concussion problems. When he plays he plays well and our screen game goes- when he out our screen game isn't even used.  

Edited by CardinalScotts

22 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

There were times last year where our oline completely collapsed towards the end of games. Ravens, Patriots, and wild card vs Texans games all had mediocre oline play, and were some of our biggest games of the season. Against the Eagles as well, their dline completely owned the LOS. 

Not to mention the countless pre snap penalties and boneheaded mistakes the oline guys make. Beane hasn't addressed the position yet so I'm wondering what our plan is next year. It is so vital for Allen to have a top notch oline, can't stress it enough. He took some very nasty hits last season that I had no idea how he walked away clean from. I'm still not convinced with either of our tackles. I truly think we need a franchise LT here long term. 

I certainly am. The right side is not very good and I would like us to acquire / draft a RT. There are other needs (no team is going to be fully stacked on all sides of the ball) but fortifying the OL is unfinished business. Its easy to pooh-pooh the fact that there have been only two additions to the offense but there is need there and I hope we take care of at least the protection on draft day(s)

• Like (+1) 1