Offensive Line Status Quo

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Was our OL so good last season that the same 5 are coming back again?

Pass blocking often looked like a jail break. 

Can’t upgrade every position. Biggest thing you can do for an oline is give them time to gel and grow together as a unit. Would we love to add an all-pro RT? Of course, but all teams have weaknesses and if ours is this oline with one more year of experience, I’d say we’re doing pretty darn well. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Curious, which of these guys are projected to be below average starters this year?  2019 PFF grades enclosed (yes, the folks at PFF may not be the most accurate graders).  I personally think continuity is the way to go.  IMO, Ford should develop.

• Dawkins (73)
  • Spain (55)
  • Morse (66)
  • Feliciano (64)
  • Ford (52)

PFF Player Grading Scale: 100-90 Elite, 89-85 Pro Bowler, 84-70 Starter, 69-60 Backup, 59-0 Replaceable

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m still convinced that Ford at RT is going to be a problem. McD had Nsekhe split reps with Ford for a reason and let’s not forget that for a long time last year it seemed like we could only get TD drives going with Ford on the bench.

Edited by Bangarang

39 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Was our OL so good last season that the same 5 are coming back again?

Pass blocking often looked like a jail break. 

It also often looked like he was having a sammich before deciding to pass, like it was a still picture of a statue instead of live. Granted, they had issues with blitzes. Who doesn’t?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I disagree that OL was a big or consistent issue. What I saw was a remarkable difference between Josh’s first year when it seemed he couldn’t even set his feet before he was being mauled or forced to move and this year there seemed to consistently be 2-3 seconds for him to make the read and throw. More than that is asking a lot and much less is where we were the year before. RT was an issue but I believe Ty made that side look much better and he’s back this year along with Ford being given time to get better and I have to believe that since Beane traded up to get him and was excited to get him, they have confidence in his ability to hold his position. Long story - short, I trust this FO.

• Like (+1) 1

The offensive line was OK last year. Keep in mind non of the 5 starters last season had played together before and Ford was a rookie. I think with improved consistency by simply having a season under their belt playing together and Ford playing better in year 2 (Ford came on stronger as the season ended.) I think overall the O-line will improve as they are all under 30, deep (Ty, Long, and Bates all solid backups), and Ford will be much better. I get wanting to improve the O-line but offensive line play is heavily tied to playing together and this unit will be returning from a decent season. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Yeah- they were pretty good. They will look better when JA gets the ball out quicker.

That’s my thinking on it as well. 
They had some lapses but Allen isn’t doing them any favors rarely taking a dump off pass or hot read or anything on blitzing plays. Add in the fact we can’t execute screens and it causes some ugly pressures. 
He was hovering over what 3.5 seconds holding the ball last season? I don’t have the advanced metrics of it but I think he lead the league both seasons in time holding the ball before release. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Yeah- they were pretty good. They will look better when JA gets the ball out quicker.

While this is true it's also true that JA will look better when the OL gives him more time.   There were flaws in both areas.

I'm not a huge fan of PFF and I think their grades for our OL are a little  harsh but it is true that we don't have elite/PB level talent up front.  Building a Super Bowl team, you probably want 2 elite/PB caliber offensive linemen and then a few solid starters.  

Right now I'm hoping continuity makes the OL better.  This is only the second year together for this group of starters and OL Coach Bobby Johnson.  Cross my fingers - we'll have healthier starters this year too.  But I'd love to see the Bills pluck an OL superstar out of the draft.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m ok with rolling with the same line again.  Continuity on the offensive line is a typical hallmark for good offensive lines.  Ford was a rookie and most rookies struggle at the tackle position.   I think they will improve upon last year

• Like (+1) 2