Pegulas taking heat for treatment of PSE employees during quarantine; donate 1.2 mill to WNY pandemic relief

19 minutes ago, Mango said:

Sorry, normally I quote, but I was on my mobile and already started to reply and got lazy. Ha.

Nobody expects Bob of Bobs deli to sell his house for his cashier. And nobody is asking Pegula to do that either. If he has a Billion dollars, which he has more, interest is 50M per year at 5%. So if he has 300 employees at the arena, and 100 at 716. Say they’re all making an average of $15 per hour (they don’t) and all work 40 hours per week (they don’t) It would cost him 960k to shut down for a month. Less than 2% of his interest collected. 

Instead he gave 1.2M for additional tax deductions on top of the deductions he’ll take for more deductions for. Plus the tax 57M tax break he gets on the harbor center itself. 

The point is, big boys like Mark Cuban in these moments shouldn’t be the exception, they should be the standard. And we should stop pretending like Billionaires are dealing in comprehensible money that any of us can wrap our heads around. On a yearly basis he receives generational wealth in interest. At the very least he could pay out earned PTO with the change he finds in his couch cushion. 

I should not have thrown in Bob’s apparently. That seemed to be not clear enough.  Focus on Marriott or Hilton. That is apples and apples. 

Rich people owe us nothing beyond what we have agreed upon. I work, you pay. Is there a contract to live by? Go there. If not, the law lays out what is required. IF you get any more than that, it’s a blessing. They gave away a MILLION PLU$ and they should NOT be getting grief. 

You don’t have to match the most generous employer to be a good person, especially when you have ZERO idea what the numbers look like. Without a serious deep dive into the books, who knows what this means to different industries and teams? 

Do NOT make this emotional. We don’t know enough to judge. I just know hospitality is generally doing $1.2 million LESS than what the Pegulas are doing. 

EDIT: Let me ask this: Do we know if the $1.2 mil is more or less than the cost of keeping the staff? When you get an exact answer, please get back to me. Without an answer, please reserve judgment. 

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, Mango said:

Sorry, normally I quote, but I was on my mobile and already started to reply and got lazy. Ha.

Nobody expects Bob of Bobs deli to sell his house for his cashier. And nobody is asking Pegula to do that either. If he has a Billion dollars, which he has more, interest is 50M per year at 5%. So if he has 300 employees at the arena, and 100 at 716. Say they’re all making an average of $15 per hour (they don’t) and all work 40 hours per week (they don’t) It would cost him 960k to shut down for a month. Less than 2% of his interest collected. 

Instead he gave 1.2M for additional tax deductions on top of the deductions he’ll take for declining business and declining property value (almost every major corporation does this). Plus the tax 57M tax break he gets on the harbor center itself. 

The point is, big boys like Mark Cuban in these moments shouldn’t be the exception, they should be the standard. And we should stop pretending like Billionaires are dealing in comprehensible money that any of us can wrap our heads around. On a yearly basis he receives generational wealth in interest. At the very least he could pay out earned PTO with the change he finds in his couch cushion. 

Lol 5%. You guys are too much. What this thread is is a little bit of good old fashioned envy.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Lol 5%. You guys are too much. What this thread is is a little bit of good old fashioned envy.

It's a good practice in people putting their hands in others pockets because they see big numbers and assume it just as simple as writing a fat check. Again, always like seeing how others would spend other peoples money.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I will again say that they should NOT be held to a higher standard than the rest of the industry. Why do people want to single them out?

This is a huge, generous and positive gesture and should be only taken as a positive. Just one guy’s opinion. 

A bit touchy, eh?  I re-read what I wrote and I'm still not sure I held anyone to a higher standard.  Just because I might disagree with the treatment of discharged employees by the Pegulas (who happen to the the subject of this thread) doesn't mean that I'm singling them out.  The fact of the matter, though, is that I wrote that I appreciate both sides of things.  It's tough for employees across our economy to be cast aside as many have been over the past two weeks.  The flip side is that there has to be a business for these employees to come back to.  One way to preserve the business might be to let the government fund the employees at significant discount (not sure what the haircut is on unemployment, maybe 40% of prior take home is provided?) during the crisis, which appears to be what the Pegulas have done. 

The bottom line on my end is that when all of this is over I will treat well businesses that had the means to treat their employees well during this fiasco and then did so.  The Pegulas' donation is a step in the right direction for them.  Delaware North's act of providing at least one week severance to its employees is a good thing.  We'll see how things go from here. 

I'm sure Timmah Graham has already posted an update to his story with news of the Pegulas' generosity and donations during this crisis, along with an analysis of what has happened to the hospitality industry in general....right?  Right?

4 hours ago, eball said:

I'm sure Timmah Graham has already posted an update to his story with news of the Pegulas' generosity and donations during this crisis, along with an analysis of what has happened to the hospitality industry in general....right?  Right?

Nope.

Mitch Morse donated last week and Kroft is donating as well 

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You are welcome to halve it. $25M is still generational wealth gained in interest yearly. Josh Allen and Mitch Morris have donated higher percentages of their net worth than TP to help his own employees. Mark Cuban is paying his employees. Drew Brees is donating $5M. Every other NHL owner is paying their employees. Richard Bronson has announced a 15% executive pay cut and a hold on all executive bonuses.That is the standard. Pegula is not some worldly businessman in the hospitality industry. He owns a restaurant and staffs a hockey arena. He may have financial interests globally, but none of them in hospitality. 

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I should not have thrown in Bob’s apparently. That seemed to be not clear enough.  Focus on Marriott or Hilton. That is apples and apples. 

Rich people owe us nothing beyond what we have agreed upon. I work, you pay. Is there a contract to live by? Go there. If not, the law lays out what is required. IF you get any more than that, it’s a blessing. They gave away a MILLION PLU$ and they should NOT be getting grief. 

You don’t have to match the most generous employer to be a good person, especially when you have ZERO idea what the numbers look like. Without a serious deep dive into the books, who knows what this means to different industries and teams? 

Do NOT make this emotional. We don’t know enough to judge. I just know hospitality is generally doing $1.2 million LESS than what the Pegulas are doing. 

EDIT: Let me ask this: Do we know if the $1.2 mil is more or less than the cost of keeping the staff? When you get an exact answer, please get back to me. Without an answer, please reserve judgment. 

It is not apples to apples, and the Hilton and Marriott are coming under fire. TP has a restaurant and an NHL arena where he employs maybe a couple hundred people. Hilton employs 170,000 people alone.

As much as you want to reserve judgement for saying TP is treating his staff like popo, please refrain from saying he has done anything good other than a $1.2M tax right off rather than pay his staff because you can't prove that either. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

You are welcome to halve it. $25M is still generational wealth gained in interest yearly. Josh Allen and Mitch Morris have donated higher percentages of their net worth than TP to help his own employees. Mark Cuban is paying his employees. Drew Brees is donating $5M. Every other NHL owner is paying their employees. Richard Bronson has announced a 15% executive pay cut and a hold on all executive bonuses.That is the standard. Pegula is not some worldly businessman in the hospitality industry. He owns a restaurant and staffs a hockey arena. He may have financial interests globally, but none of them in hospitality. 

It is not apples to apples, and the Hilton and Marriott are coming under fire. TP has a restaurant and an NHL arena where he employs maybe a couple hundred people. Hilton employs 170,000 people alone.

As much as you want to reserve judgement for saying TP is treating his staff like popo, please refrain from saying he has done anything good other than a $1.2M tax right off rather than pay his staff because you can't prove that either. 

Our future daughter-in-law just got furloughed this morning from a major hotel. She’s upset, but she’s dealing with it. She’s not blaming the employer, she knows they can’t pay people to run an empty hotel. They can’t pay her for the conventions she cannot bring in.

She’s upset with the situation, but not her employer......because she’s a grown up and she understands the situation. The best she can hope for is to get back to work as soon as possible, at the same place hopefully. 

As for the bold, you do realize that he doesn’t get $1.2 million back, right? That is serious money that you seem to be taking lightly. They do something extremely generous, and just can’t win. How about you kick in something? 

EDIT: It frequently amazes me how some people A) resent wealthy people and B) want to tell them what to do with their money.

Here’s a situation where a guy gives away $1.2 million to help others, and the reaction is that it is just not enough.  Amazing. They have been extremely generous to different causes over the years. I’ll appreciate what they have given, not complain that it’s not enough. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Mango said:

Instead he gave 1.2M for additional tax deductions on top of the deductions he’ll take for declining business and declining property value (almost every major corporation does this). Plus the tax 57M tax break he gets on the harbor center itself. 

My bro just got laid off by the padres... He got his vacation pay at least.  No guarantee they hold his job or anything either. 

18 minutes ago, dneveu said:

My bro just got laid off by the padres... He got his vacation pay at least.  No guarantee they hold his job or anything either. 

VERY SORRY to hear that. This sucks for everyone. Our future DIL has no guarantees, but hopefully, when things begin to resemble “normal” again, they will appreciate the work she has done and come to her first. I hope the same applies for your brother. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

VERY SORRY to hear that. This sucks for everyone. Our future DIL has no guarantees, but hopefully, when things begin to resemble “normal” again, they will appreciate the work she has done and come to her first. I hope the same applies for your brother. 

I mean - he was in management so i assume they would?  It just makes sense to send an email "hey - if u still want it etc." rather than interview people and spend tons of time.  

• Like (+1) 1