Pegulas taking heat for treatment of PSE employees during quarantine; donate 1.2 mill to WNY pandemic relief

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Had to read the last one like 4 times - kept seeing "provide groceries to undeserved and unemployed"

• Haha (+1) 1

Good on them for going this.  

I'm still torn on how I feel about their treatment of their employees during the pandemic.  On the one hand, I'm not impressed with the layoffs in the absence of even modest termination pay (two weeks' wages/tips, for example).  On the other hand, I appreciate that there has to be a business for the employees to return to when this is over.  And it may be that preserving the hospitality aspects of the business required the cutbacks.  

Hopefully we put the brakes on the spread of the virus and this is a non-issue in a couple of months. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good on them.  I wonder how much the social media response forced their hand.  But I’m glad they are doing this.  I love the Pegulas and was hoping they weren’t the billionaire scumbags like other owners (see the Jacobs family).

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Morse donated 100k last week! Keep up, Joshua. ?

These frugal millionaires! Lol.

Glad to see more and more people helping out where they can! Really do think there is a lot more kindness than not in this world.

I know, funny coming from me, one of the meaner posters on the board lol.

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Good on them for going this.  

I'm still torn on how I feel about their treatment of their employees during the pandemic.  On the one hand, I'm not impressed with the layoffs in the absence of even modest termination pay (two weeks' wages/tips, for example).  On the other hand, I appreciate that there has to be a business for the employees to return to when this is over.  And it may be that preserving the hospitality aspects of the business required the cutbacks.  

Hopefully we put the brakes on the spread of the virus and this is a non-issue in a couple of months. 

I will again say that they should NOT be held to a higher standard than the rest of the industry. Why do people want to single them out?

This is a huge, generous and positive gesture and should be only taken as a positive. Just one guy’s opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

We should start a thread of which athletes are donating. They are treated like hero’s, but I think we all know who the real hero’s of society are. 

Definitely not jerks on message boards that point out the incorrect spelling of the plural form of hero.

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I will again say that they should NOT be held to a higher standard than the rest of the industry. Why do people want to single them out?

This is a huge, generous and positive gesture and should be only taken as a positive. Just one guy’s opinion. 

Because in times of crises if somebody has the means to easily help their fellow citizens through a rough time then it's the decent thing to do.  Most restaurant owners don't have those means.

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Because in times of crises if somebody has the means to easily help their fellow citizens through a rough time then it's the decent thing to do.  Most restaurant owners don't have those means.

How about you look at what Marriott and Omni have done for a comparison. That is a fair comparison. I think you are missing the point here. My future daughter-in-law works for one of the big hotels. She went to a meeting with 600 people, and they slowly, painfully and horribly managed the firing of 560 of those people. She still has a job, but feels like she’s in the next wave. 

The Pegula’s have just donated $1.2 MILLION dollars to help people in need. I don’t think this is the time to be criticizing them. 

Just my opinion. 

EDIT: As of this morning she has been furloughed. There are few guarantees in life, which is why you shouldn’t live as though you will always get “the best case scenario”. Just like we will all know of someone with the virus, we will all know someone who was affected in some other way. This is one giant mess. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

People have a hard time comprehending that the Pegulas owning businesses and having employees isn’t the equivalent of being parents and giving allowance to your kids. Especially when you have the kind of coin they do, just the business / corporate structure alone is extremely complicated. It’s not as easy as just opening the checkbook. There are policies, procedures & laws they have to follow. If these were truly horrible people with no morals, we wouldn’t be having the discussion because 716, the Bills, the Sabres, and a whole bunch more wouldn’t exist. It’s easy to throw rocks when you don’t have all the details and just read the cliff notes of some ***** stirring article by another buffalo media hack. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Somebody referred to holding the Pegula’s to a different standard than the rest of the “industry”.
Does this mean hospitality? How many restaurant owners would love to pay their staff but can’t? Or are you referring to the NHL where the owners are paying the staff for games missed? 

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Somebody referred to holding the Pegula’s to a different standard than the rest of the “industry”.
Does this mean hospitality? How many restaurant owners would love to pay their staff but can’t? Or are you referring to the NHL where the owners are paying the staff for games missed? 

I believe that the “somebody” you are referring to may be me! Because I certainly said that, and I believe it.

It doesn’t matter if the owner of Bob’s Deli would like to pay his staff.  Did Bob sell his house to pay the cashier? It’s a decision, and it’s complicated. The fact is, almost all of hospitality is laying off or furloughing employees with similar benefit packages, which is close to nothing. Why should the Pegulas be held to a different standard? Don’t tell me “because they are rich, they can afford it”. Marriott has some cash in the bank. I want a real grown up answer.  

They gave $1.2 MILLION dollars to help lessen the blow, and that’s not enough? Get a grip on reality is how I see things. Life is not a bottomless charity bowl. 

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

I believe that the “somebody” you are referring to may be me! Because I certainly said that, and I believe it.

It doesn’t matter if the owner of Bob’s Deli would like to pay his staff.  Did Bob sell his house to pay the cashier? It’s a decision, and it’s complicated. The fact is, almost all of hospitality is laying off or furloughing employees with similar benefit packages, which is close to nothing. Why should the Pegulas be held to a different standard? Don’t tell me “because they are rich, they can afford it”. Marriott has some cash in the bank. I want a real grown up answer.  

They gave $1.2 MILLION dollars to help lessen the blow, and that’s not enough? Get a grip on reality is how I see things. Life is not a bottomless charity bowl. 

Sorry, normally I quote, but I was on my mobile and already started to reply and got lazy. Ha.

Nobody expects Bob of Bobs deli to sell his house for his cashier. And nobody is asking Pegula to do that either. If he has a Billion dollars, which he has more, interest is 50M per year at 5%. So if he has 300 employees at the arena, and 100 at 716. Say they’re all making an average of $15 per hour (they don’t) and all work 40 hours per week (they don’t) It would cost him 960k to shut down for a month. Less than 2% of his interest collected. 

Instead he gave 1.2M for additional tax deductions on top of the deductions he’ll take for declining business and declining property value (almost every major corporation does this). Plus the tax 57M tax break he gets on the harbor center itself. 

The point is, big boys like Mark Cuban in these moments shouldn’t be the exception, they should be the standard. And we should stop pretending like Billionaires are dealing in comprehensible money that any of us can wrap our heads around. On a yearly basis he receives generational wealth in interest. At the very least he could pay out earned PTO with the change he finds in his couch cushion. 

Edited by Mango
Grammar/fat fingers
  • Like (+1) 1