Pegulas taking heat for treatment of PSE employees during quarantine; donate 1.2 mill to WNY pandemic relief

55 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

This can’t be true. In a time like this?

no way. 

That would be evil and heartless. 

Do you realize that Marriott has let tens of thousands of people go? You can’t pay them to sit and look at each other. 

Our future daughter in law was one of 40 out of 600 to survive the cut at her major hotel, but she expects to get cut in the next wave.  In the long run this may be more about the economic impact than the lives lost, though lives always count the most. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is typical of people who start businesses who think they can just do what they did in the old business into the new. The Pegulas were terrible with the BILLS and still struggling with the Sabres, but they are doing what they can to get better, they will get the hang of the restaurant biz eventually.

So I read the article and thought it was it was pretty fair.  The gist is that while many in the hospitality industry are unfortunately laying off employees, few employers have the resources or the personal wealth that the Pegulas have.

The way they handled this situation, is not great.  I do believe that Terry and Kim are good people, so it’s a little surprising.  They are either very tone deaf or they’ve been out of the loop on this decision in their org.  

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you realize that Marriott has let tens of thousands of people go? You can’t pay them to sit and look at each other. 

Our future daughter in law was one of 40 out of 600 to survive the cut at her major hotel, but she expects to get cut in the next wave.  In the long run this may be more about the economic impact than the lives lost, though lives always count the most. 

True... but it’s a little different situation.  We’re talking about one town and one company.  

Did you not read the part when it said employees were not given paid time-off?  Or that they weren’t promised a job after re-opening?  It’s clear they could have handled things better

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This is typical of people who start businesses who think they can just do what they did in the old business into the new. The Pegulas were terrible with the BILLS and still struggling with the Sabres, but they are doing what they can to get better, they will get the hang of the restaurant biz eventually.

It makes you wonder how involved they were with these decisions or whether it was all their hospitality guy making the call.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

It won’t be any time soon, since there is no such thing as a real restaurant business right now.

One of my guilty pleasures is going to a favorite restaurant and reading my book while having lunch. It’s a silly thing, but I really enjoy that experience. That time will come again, but I feel for all those who will suffer until we rebound, and for all those with losses in the meantime. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sullim4 said:

From an HR perspective, it's all likely legal, but it's not how good employers deal with temporary layoffs like this.  Withholding PTO is really bad (and illegal in some states) - this is usually counted as a liability on the balance sheet which now magically has disappeared, meaning the Pegulas essentially got a refund on that expense.

They should just say, we're going to hire as many of our staff back at original pay as we can once this blows over, but we don't yet know how many people that will be.  That clearly states their intention without telling them to to re-apply and re-interview for their positions.

Yeah and that was the overall takeaway.  It’s clear they are in a very bad situation and many businesses are.  But the way they handled the layoffs was bad

I've heard poor things about working at 716 (can't speak for it myself). I work for Darden (who owns Olive Garden and Longhorn). They are paying all employees for 2 weeks. Not 100% but still some money. They want the staff to return

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

True... but it’s a little different situation.  We’re talking about one town and one company.  

It doesn’t matter if you own one Wendy’s in one location, or every Wendy’s east of the Mississippi. If you are not selling burgers, you can’t keep paying everyone. It’s quite simple, really. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

It doesn’t matter if you own one Wendy’s in one location, or every Wendy’s east of the Mississippi. If you are not selling burgers, you can’t keep paying everyone. It’s quite simple, really. 

Yea that is true.  But did you read the article?  The difference is how the Pegula’s handled the layoffs as opposed to other NHL owners.

They didn’t promise a job when things turned around.  They also denied paying PTO which is completely BS.

Not faulting them for the layoffs but they couldn’t handled this situation much much better - do you disagree?

40 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I've heard poor things about working at 716 (can't speak for it myself). I work for Darden (who owns Olive Garden and Longhorn). They are paying all employees for 2 weeks. Not 100% but still some money. They want the staff to return

How about PTO - do you get that?

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It makes you wonder how involved they were with these decisions or whether it was all their hospitality guy making the call.

No way of knowing but i would venture to guess because they cut so many people before the current hysteria, that tried to help too many people with jobs and  figured they could cover it and  then realized they were losing money. They aint digging another well for hospitality.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I'd have to say if an employer was 'guaranteeing jobs' that I'd be skeptical. If this drags on for more than a month a lot of small to medium businesses are going to be in tough positions.

As for larger companies like PSE, it seems like they have the political clout that they will certainly get tax breaks and bailouts (from our pockets) to make up for paying employees so I may not blame them, but they are certainly in a position to see a short term continuation of payroll. 

..and if you don't think that larger companies are currently howling for the government to dole out money to the masses to ensure they keep buying things so the executives can keep getting their salaries then I have a bridge to sell you that cures covid-19

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It won’t be any time soon, since there is no such thing as a real restaurant business right now.

One of my guilty pleasures is going to a favorite restaurant and reading my book while having lunch. It’s a silly thing, but I really enjoy that experience. That time will come again, but I feel for all those who will suffer until we rebound, and for all those with losses in the meantime. 

the whole thing is an unfortunate situation.

The article conveniently glosses over the fact that a lot of the workers are employees of whoever has the contract with PSE. So most likely subject to that employers policies. Sure PSE is cutting the checks to the contractor but they may not even have the authority to just arbitrarily make policy to people that aren’t technically their employees. Hard to pass judgment without knowing the details but certainly written so that people get the pitchforks out. As with most things, not as simple as it seems on the surface. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

No doubt........to what degree we shall see. But it’s no little deal. 

Nope, the economy is going to be devastated.

Just now, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

The article conveniently glosses over the fact that a lot of the workers are employees of whoever has the contract with PSE. So most likely subject to that employers policies. Sure PSE is cutting the checks to the contractor but they may not even have the authority to just arbitrarily make policy to people that aren’t technically their employees. Hard to pass judgment without knowing the details but certainly written so that people get the pitchforks out. As with most things, not as simple as it seems on the surface. 

Got to bite the hand that feeds you.

7 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Cuts both ways.  The masses can't demand the economic shutdown and demand they be paid too.  

Why not? Businesses have taken record profits for years now. Yet their debt loads increased. Rather than paying down their sent, they spent heavily on stock repurchases making their stick options more and more valuable for their execs. Now they are lining up again for Corporate bailouts. Why does corporate welfare get a pass, yet a poor single parent get trashed for being on food stamps. The real money is being stolen by the top.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Why not? Businesses have taken record profits for years now. Yet their debt loads increased. Rather than paying down their sent, they spent heavily on stock repurchases making their stick options more and more valuable for their execs. Now they are lining up again for Corporate bailouts. Why does corporate welfare get a pass, yet a poor single parent get trashed for being on food stamps. The real money is being stolen by the top.

I don’t totally disagree with your point but that’s a pretty blanket statement to make in this situation. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

didnt know we were disagreeing

Maybe I misunderstood......

It will be a  very big deal, but at this point I can’t even imagine what it looks like. 

• Like (+1) 1