Pegulas taking heat for treatment of PSE employees during quarantine; donate 1.2 mill to WNY pandemic relief

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think that any hospitality employer is guaranteeing or saving jobs.  They really don't know the timeline or how things will look as we ramp back to normal.

Are the workers guaranteeing or saving themselves for those jobs?  Works both ways.

I agree, I think it’s normal to have people re-apply if they’ve been termed or displaced. At least that’s how we do it. 

14 minutes ago, The Fiend said:

https://www.thestreet.com/politics/what-is-a-furlough-14832476

"A furloughed employee may also take unemployment benefits for their time without pay. Since unemployment is paid by states, not the federal government, it will not suffer a budgetary lapse in the case of a federal government shutdown."

Thanks for that. Clears it up a lot. Although that link also says... “Not every employee can pursue this option however. Each state has individual rules for collecting unemployment, including (potentially) waiting periods to collect benefits and a requirement that the applicant show an active job search. Either or both of these may disqualify a furloughed worker. Further, furloughed workers who receive back pay for their time away from work will typically have to pay back any unemployment benefits they collected.”

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think that any hospitality employer is guaranteeing or saving jobs.  They really don't know the timeline or how things will look as we ramp back to normal.

Are the workers guaranteeing or saving themselves for those jobs?  Works both ways.

Ive actually read some pushback to Graham’s article.  Have not read it but looking forward to it.  

One thing is for sure - Tim Graham does not give a F@@@.  He’s not scared to write what he believes even it mean negative consequences 

• Like (+1) 2

Is the Bills management (Beane, McDermott, etc.) working at home? Are they considered an essential business? I know here in the San Francisco Bay Area, they would be prohibited from going to work at the stadium as they would be considered a non-essential business. We are all under home lockdown here until at least April 7, by order of the governor. Not sure if NY has the same rule.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Coronavirus-updates-Bay-Area-Contra-Costa-death-15145370.php

"March 20, 10:47 a.m.: San Jose Police Chief Eddie Garcia told reporters Friday that 56 warnings were issued to businesses in the city for remaining open despite not being classified as essential during the shelter-in-place orders. Garcia said all 56 businesses, including gyms, barbershops and a smoke shop, complied with officers and shut down.

"Those of you that know me, know we aren't going to stay educational for long," Garcia said, suggesting that warnings will give way to more official actions. The chief said "criminal citations, business license sanctions and health code violations" would be used against businesses who had previously been issued warnings should they re-open."

Edited by The Fiend

"As a valuable asset to our hospitality family, when business returns to normalcy, we encourage you to come back and apply for an open position."

Apparently, these guys don't understand the definition of the word "family." That is some cold sh++.

Speaking for myself, I was working on a pilot for NBC/Universal, which represents about four weeks of work. We were two weeks into rigging, they shut down all of Universal Studios (as has every studio, and production in Los Angeles). They then decided to give everyone two weeks pay, while they figure out what happens next. The bottom line does not always have to take precedence over doing the right thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Inevitable and so predictable someone was going to criticize them.

How about the drama, "But here’s the fine print: They’re not saving their jobs for them." Really?  Are they supposed to guarantee them jobs?

No one should be surprised by this, millions of us are being fired all over the country, with no real way to know if they will be able to find another job for the foreseeable future.

Hard times are NOW, expect soup lines in the not so distant future. I mean look around the markets are down over 30% with no bottom in sight. Unemployment is imo going to hit 25% and higher. This will be like the Great Depression folks.

This is some scary sad stuff going on. We all need to be kind to each other and help each other out best we can. 

Prayers to you all, ? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

What are you going to do? This can go on for a year. This coronavirus is some really serious business, this is a legit pandemic. Every time I wake up 2,000 more have died. Cuomo put us all under house arrest essentially.

Liquor stores remain open though - Deemed an “essential business” by NYS. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Liquor stores remain open though - Deemed an “essential business” by NYS. ?

In NV and CA, pot dispensaries are open, as they were deemed essential by their states since patients need marijuana for medical reasons. Bars can remain open too, as long as they are attached to a restaurant or 50% or more of their business is food, but people are not allowed to dine in the bar or restaurant at all. Takeout or delivery only. I don't think food trucks are allowed to be open, but may are violating the rule.

Edited by The Fiend

6 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

One thing is for sure - Tim Graham does not give a F@@@.  He’s not scared to write what he believes even it mean negative consequences 

It would be nice if he knew what he was talking about, however.     Like maybe consulting a labor lawyer or state labor department official as to the termination requirements for former employees so they can qualify for unemployment insurance in NYS.   

If it turns out that Pegs did things correctly so individuals can qualify for benefits, do you think we'll get a follow-up mea culpa from Tim?   

I'm not holding my breath...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Wow, who would've thought...Billionaires all about the bottom line and don't give a single flying **** about us/employees/anybody but themselves?

In that same generosity of spirit, I would like for you to run out and give a homeless person half of your house and all of your belongings for free.  You have way more than that homeless person does.  Apparently that homeless person is just as entitled to the fruits or your labor, skill, experience, effort, and time as you are...  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's a bummer that they can't guarantee their positions, but as someone pointed out, there's no guarantee from the employees that they'll all return. 

The one part in all this that really sucks (and hasn't been mentioned yet) is that PSE isn't allowing any laid off employees to use the PTO they've accrued. My company is allowing people to use what they want of their PTO before filing for unemployment. That's earned time off. Imagine being someone who works and works to save up a bunch of PTO for an occasion such as this only to be told, "Nope, can't use it." Lame. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

From an HR perspective, it's all likely legal, but it's not how good employers deal with temporary layoffs like this.  Withholding PTO is really bad (and illegal in some states) - this is usually counted as a liability on the balance sheet which now magically has disappeared, meaning the Pegulas essentially got a refund on that expense.

They should just say, we're going to hire as many of our staff back at original pay as we can once this blows over, but we don't yet know how many people that will be.  That clearly states their intention without telling them to to re-apply and re-interview for their positions.

• Like (+1) 1

Every single ownership group in the NHL aside from the Pegulas is paying employees NOW for games that are postponed. It is what good ownership looks like. Listen to Mark Cuban, for him it was a “no-brainer” to pay everyone associated with AA Arena and the Mavs. Not paying out unused PTO is a joke. Amateur hour. Pegulas are worth $4.5B; they can pay these people.

Has nothing to do with Silicon Valley and how the dynamics there are so much different. They aren’t for a billionaire in terms of how a P&L works. This is bush league period. Saving the Bills has nothing to do with their actions in this crisis. These actions, quite frankly, are pathetic.

Edited by SeattleBills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Hilarious. I have been running a number of successful businesses as well as consult. Been doing this for 20 years in the silicon valley. I am spending hours each day on conference calls discussing these topics with other business owners and executives.

So you spend a lot of time in important meetings...

By chance, do you, perhaps, drive a BMW?

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

So you spend a lot of time in important meetings...

By chance, do you, perhaps, drive a BMW?

His point is he has a broader view and is not focused squarely on a billionaire couple in Buffalo and those who stick up for them because they “saved the Bills”. He has a heck of a lot more context than others on this board as to what is happening now in board meetings and at senior-levels of ownership. Get over your insecurity.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SeattleBills said:

His point is he has a broader view and is not focused squarely on a billionaire couple in Buffalo and those who stick up for them because they “saved the Bills”. He has a heck of a lot more context than others on this board as to what is happening now in board meetings and at senior-levels of ownership. Get over your insecurity.

giphy.gif

Since you are new here, it's an inside joke for us older more long-term members.

Edit: Also, you would be surprised by the outstanding jobs that many on here have, Doctors, Dentists, Executives, Writers, male strippers like @Gugny, etc...

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SeattleBills said:

THIS is your 6th post since joining in November 2019???   

Now I have to wonder what kind of doozies those other five were...

• Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It would be nice if he knew what he was talking about, however.     Like maybe consulting a labor lawyer or state labor department official as to the termination requirements for former employees so they can qualify for unemployment insurance in NYS.   

If it turns out that Pegs did things correctly so individuals can qualify for benefits, do you think we'll get a follow-up mea culpa from Tim?   

I'm not holding my breath...

Like I said, many were defending the Pegulas on Twitter

Edited by Phil The Thrill

All of this just speculation and we can never really know the true circumstances of what is happening with these specific people. What I do know is many people across the country are suffering, some are dying, and many will lose loved ones. When your state closes all businesses out of need, there is going to be people that suffer. All we can do is try and stay positive and help on another when possible. In reality, laying people off now opens up the possibility of fast track unemployment assistance. How can they guarantee jobs to return to? No one knows how long this will last or the final outcome. 

Edited by thronethinker