Pegulas taking heat for treatment of PSE employees during quarantine; donate 1.2 mill to WNY pandemic relief

10 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We can make excuses for him because we like the team. Just bc he owns does the Bills and Sabres doesnt mean he is a good person. It does suck when the owner of the team you support is selfish and heartless. He will rebound from this even if he does have to pay his hourly workers for a time period. He also has options to temporarily lay them off with the promise of a job and continuation of benefits. Seems like he is going the cheapest way possible. 

And you know this how?

Never forget the Bills are still here ONLY because of the Pegulas. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And you know this how?

Of course this is based off the reports and what employees have said, what the article says and the fact that termination letters and firings have taken place. Most in my industry have been doing what we can to keep and support employees best we can. Wont be forever, but we are not jumping straight to firing people. Sounds like they were waiting to do this and it gave them a great opportunity to do so. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We can make excuses for him because we like the team. Just bc he owns does the Bills and Sabres doesnt mean he is a good person. It does suck when the owner of the team you support is selfish and heartless. He will rebound from this even if he does have to pay his hourly workers for a time period. He also has options to temporarily lay them off with the promise of a job and continuation of benefits. Seems like he is going the cheapest way possible. 

1) Good thing you dont judge. You do realize running a business is not a charity.

2) You know for a fact he will rebound from this do you?  Do you have any idea how much debt he has?  The cash burn he has?

Something tells me your business acumen is derived mostly from emotion and  chatrooms. 

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 5

34 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Inevitable and so predictable someone was going to criticize them.

How about the drama, "But here’s the fine print: They’re not saving their jobs for them." Really?  Are they supposed to guarantee them jobs?

I don't think that any hospitality employer is guaranteeing or saving jobs.  They really don't know the timeline or how things will look as we ramp back to normal.

Are the workers guaranteeing or saving themselves for those jobs?  Works both ways.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s time for the federal government to pony up. Just like the company I work for can’t pay everyone, PSE can’t either (when no revenue is coming in). Reality is a b sometimes. After defending our country, this Is next in line for the  US government...and they better hurry up or schitt is going to get hairy for many (47% of the workforce works for small businesses). 

Bailing out the big boys provides a news cycle splash but doesn’t help the many. 

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I mean, to be fair I don’t think there’s a lot of employers out there that are going to pay their employees for work not performed (mine included). Reeks of typical buffalo media muckraking.

I'm not sure about that.  I mean he paid Percy Harvin nearly seven million for work not performed.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

1) Good thing you dont judge. You do realize running a business is not a charity.

2) You know for a fact he will rebound from this do you?  Do you have any idea how much debt he has?  The cash burn he has?

Something tells me your business acumen is derived mostly from emotion and  chatrooms. 

Hilarious. I have been running a number of successful businesses as well as consult. Been doing this for 20 years in the silicon valley. I am spending hours each day on conference calls discussing these topics with other business owners and executives. Some businesses can succeed and place little value you on employees, but the majority succeed by having loyal and dedicated workers. That starts from the top and is modeled by how owners and key executives treat people. I could tell you countless stories of failed businesses due to bad culture that comes from the top. 

And obviously I dont have all the details. But I do know unless he is on the verge of bankruptcy there are many tools out there to help avoid immediate layoffs at the current time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It could be. I noticed several bills reporters retweeting and saying Essentially that it was terrible form from them which surprised me (Parrino, Trapasso)

That could hurt them down the road. It seems they don’t know enough to be taking a stand. This sucks for EVERYONE and PSE isn’t doing anything not happening EVERYWHERE. They should be held to no higher standard than the rest of the industry.

Our future daughter-in-law works for a huge hotel. They met this week and she was one of 40 out of 600 to still have a job. Still, she expects to be gone in the next wave. Life comes first, but the economic impact of this will be enormous. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Are people able to collect unemployment if they have been essentially furloughed with job security guaranteed when the business re-opens?

Someone told me earlier today that the reason the Pegulas did it that way was because the employees could now collect unemployment. I haven't had time to find out if this is true or not, but it seems like it would make a big difference. I have no idea if the Pegulas are being selfish, cold, unsympathetic or not. But that seems logical.

Anyone know for sure? About this specific incident? Anyone? Bueller?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Are people able to collect unemployment if they have been essentially furloughed with job security guaranteed when the business re-opens?

Yes, happens all the time when workers know they are being recalled. I don't even think they are required to have to look for work either.

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Someone told me earlier today that the reason the Pegulas did it that way was because the employees could now collect unemployment. I haven't had time to find out if this is true or not, but it seems like it would make a big difference. I have no idea if the Pegulas are being selfish, cold, unsympathetic or not. But that seems logical.

They can collect  unemployment either way.

Edited by The Fiend
  • Like (+1) 1

Also, my wife owns a small business. The law that was just passed says she needs to pay up to 2 weeks of sick pay for every employee. Personally I think that having sick time for people is good, would make wages go down slightly, but you won't lose your job if your kid gets sick (sort of loke insurance).

That said...a totally unplanned huge expense like that, where the government is saying don't worry, we got you covered, you can take out a 0 interest loan (that converts to 12% interest on any unpaid balance after the first year).

This isn't going to just put her out of business (honestly I think it would anyway, and she is potentially going to pivot to something else), but this is going to take all the profit she was able to make over 3 years and put us into debt. 

Don't worry, they are going to help with social security payrol tax credits...will help all those companies that go out of business or need cash right when they start up again...

Anyway, the pegulas might be trying to help people with the timing, but also heard if you did layoffs before the bill was signed you wouldn't have to pay...of course hopefully I'm wrong on above, I just know what is swirling around in the business groups she's in...she built it up to 25 employees with no start up money.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

https://www.thestreet.com/politics/what-is-a-furlough-14832476

"A furloughed employee may also take unemployment benefits for their time without pay. Since unemployment is paid by states, not the federal government, it will not suffer a budgetary lapse in the case of a federal government shutdown."

33 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So Terry and Kim were waiting for a pandemic so they can trim payroll?

Sneaky ain't they.

Seriously, lot's of people will be negatively affected in the coming months.

Hopefully Terry didn't pull a Judge Smales.

19 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Hilarious. I have been running a number of successful businesses as well as consult. Been doing this for 20 years in the silicon valley. I am spending hours each day on conference calls discussing these topics with other business owners and executives. Some businesses can succeed and place little value you on employees, but the majority succeed by having loyal and dedicated workers. That starts from the top and is modeled by how owners and key executives treat people. I could tell you countless stories of failed businesses due to bad culture that comes from the top. 

And obviously I dont have all the details. But I do know unless he is on the verge of bankruptcy there are many tools out there to help avoid immediate layoffs at the current time. 

Congrats on running a successful business, then my smart ass comment as about your business acumen were unwarranted, maybe.

You do realize the labor in the fast food/service industry in WNY (mostly)  is radically different from what,  i assume , the type of business you run in Silicon Valley.  Totally different dynamic.

And you dont wait to make tough financial decisions until you are on the verge of bankruptcy, when that happens you are too late 99% of the time. Then NO  One gets rehired.  with al due respect that type of comment screams to me that you are not being intellectually honest here.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2