Remaining running backs in free agency

TigerJ

With Melvin Gordon going to the Broncos,  the market has shrunk a bit.  The bigger names remaining include Lamar Miller,  (formerly of the Texans and Miami)  Devonta Freeman, (formerly of the Falcons) and Carlos Hyde.  Hyde is a heavy duty back and at 29 has some miles on him.  However, his last season in Houston was a career best.  Lamar Miller, who also played for the Texans last season, is also good sized, a bit younger, but has more miles than Hyde.  Freeman is a smaller back, about the same weight and only a bit taller than Singletary.  He is 28 and has been productive in a tandem running back situation his entire career in Atlanta.

Buffalo could also go with a running back that has lower miles.  Ty Montgomery spent last season with the Jets. It was his worst statistically with only 3.2 YPC.  That might have been an issue with the Jets offense as a whole as LeVeon Bell was pretty bad too.  Montgomery also had 5.9 YPC in 2016 with Green Bay.  He was drafted as a WR, so he knows how to run routes and catch the ball.  He is 6' and 216 lbs.  CJ Prosise spent his whole career to this point in Seattle, where he was lightly used.  In 4 seasons he has a total of 65 carries.  He's got good size and good speed.  He also played a little receiver (in college).  Wendell Smallwood is, as his name suggests, on the small side.  On the other hand, he's fast, and was productive in college.   He's been lightly used in the pros and has unimpressive stats.   Here are a few more listed here https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/us-senators-sold-stock-after-coronavirus-briefings-in-january/ar-BB11rJg6?ocid=spartanntp if you want to check them out. 

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills pick up someone like Ty Montgomery.  We would be asking him to carry the ball fewer than 20 times a game.  He's shown he can produce at that volume and he's versatile.  Do you have a preference?

3 minutes ago, Nester said:

Is Kenyan Drake still available?.

I think they transition tagged him but not sure how that works now with a new CBA

He was transition tagged by Arizona.  They would simply have to match whatever offer he gets from another team.

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Looks like they feel Singletary can be the bell cow.  We still have Yeldon, who's great depth, can do alot worse. I'd Draft a RB that would be a great complement to Singletary

“Bell cow” running backs are antiquated thinking and i have faith they don’t want a repeat of 2019, where as soon as he leaves the game, we have a useless, one dimensional running back out there.  

They clearly don’t trust Yeldon, otherwise he would’ve played more over Gore.   

If I were Buffalo, I’m signing Hyde or Miller and drafting a RB for our active roster.  

Singletary

Hyde or Miller

Draft Pick

• Like (+1) 5

I personally have no problem with Yeldon......the problem is the bills appear to have one based on what they did with him last year......Same situation as Duke

Duke (WR) and Yeldon at the latter part of last year should have been activated.....the bills didnt do it....which leads me to believe that the bills think they are not he answer as a  backup at their respective positions

I personally think they ARE answers at their respective postiions...Yeldon provides that receiving back and he is actually very good at that.....Duke provides that big body receiver we dont have.

We will have to see what they do going forward....if they are not going to go with Yeldon and Duke they need to find players with those same skillsets

• Like (+1) 3

Nice thing is, this team is very likely to be a pass-first offense now.

Not sure speed is what is needed for a complimentary back - would rather have a bowling ball that can get the tough yard or two when needed.

Howard would have been perfect... but someone built like that.