Eating out of the Cupboards

30 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Same with us.  Either my wife or I would go grocery shopping almost every day.  She loves a fresh baguette.  Now she goes once every 7 to 10 days and fills the car.  Plenty of time to cook. We have to be careful not to over eat. 

I would LOVE to plan out some new meals and take more time to cook. I enjoy preparing new stuff. Unfortunately for me, my wife has dietary restrictions (gluten and dairy), and generally just doesn’t have the same appreciation for food. She can make a shake for a meal, or eat grilled chicken thighs and roasted broccoli and shallots for 30 straight nights. One year she got a Christmas card at the drive thru of Kenny Rodger’s addressed to “The Chicken Salad Lady”! She likes her food routines. 

I need variety! It’s not much fun to cook for one person. I’ve actually lost a few pounds. 

Just now, Augie said:

I would LOVE to plan out some new meals and take more time to cook. I enjoy preparing new stuff. Unfortunately for me, my wife has dietary restrictions (gluten and dairy), and generally just doesn’t have the same appreciation for food. She can make a shake for a meal, or eat grilled chicken thighs and roasted broccoli and shallots for 30 straight nights. One year she got a Christmas card at the drive thru of Kenny Rodger’s addressed to “The Chicken Salad Lady”! She likes her food routines. 

I need variety! It’s not much fun to cook for one person. I’ve actually lost a few pounds. 

I’m in the same boat, sort of.  My wife is a carb lover.  She could eat bread, pasta, and potatoes all day every day.  I like to switch things up, but she’s not fond of meals that are heavy on meat and vegetables. I end up cooking for myself too often. 

NSFBT*

*Not Safe For Breakfast Table!

Being that I am immunocompromised, I have been put into a voluntary lock down by my daughter in law the nurse.  My son did a grocery run, and inadvertently got the 'regular' peanut butter as opposed to the 'light' peanut butter.  I do not exaggerate when I say this morning's sandwich has my stomach sounding like Mr. Creosote's.  I suppose I should be thankful it wasn't 'chunky'.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Not necessarily.  They have lots of caveats on site now

They are acting like FEMA and will determine when best to send and in some reported cases items have been pulled and redirected elsewhere.

Like FEMA you would rather they be more open about this.  I had a mask delivery delayed but it was not a breathing mask but a sleeping mask and got generic message about delays on items needed for covid-19 being delayed or cancelled.

Only thing I really use Amazon Prime is for deliveries so thinking of cancelling.

Amazon-Covid.png

6 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

There's always Amazon Prime (delivers free in 2 days)

• 3 weeks later...

Canadian Tire has taken a page from the Home Despot (yeah, I know it's 'depot') and Lowe's by selling snacks, but they've gone one better by putting their own house brand name (Frank) on the line.  Stomping around the website this morning to order their surprisingly good ripple chips, I discovered the 'turkey stuffing' flavour.  ?  I'll get back to you all on this...?

On 4/12/2020 at 1:04 AM, Fires said:

Why does this this remind me of the thread "What's the oldest thing you ever eaten?"  In TBD fashion. Someone replied. "My Wife".  LMAO

I just saw this.  LMFAO!!!  So ... naturally ... I searched for it and found it on Google ...

• Haha (+1) 3

On 4/10/2020 at 6:52 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

NSFBT*

*Not Safe For Breakfast Table!

Being that I am immunocompromised, I have been put into a voluntary lock down by my daughter in law the nurse.  My son did a grocery run, and inadvertently got the 'regular' peanut butter as opposed to the 'light' peanut butter.  I do not exaggerate when I say this morning's sandwich has my stomach sounding like Mr. Creosote's.  I suppose I should be thankful it wasn't 'chunky'.  ?

It'll be chunky down the road........

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I just saw this.  LMFAO!!!  So ... naturally ... I searched for it and found it on Google ...

There are some great responses there. Good to see the old-schoolers and people not around anymore with some humorous and serious responses. @Wacka wasn't messing around!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

There are some great responses there. Good to see the old-schoolers and people not around anymore with some humorous and serious responses. @Wacka wasn't messing around!

That thread was created 3 days before I joined.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2020 at 8:44 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Canadian Tire has taken a page from the Home Despot (yeah, I know it's 'depot') and Lowe's by selling snacks, but they've gone one better by putting their own house brand name (Frank) on the line.  Stomping around the website this morning to order their surprisingly good ripple chips, I discovered the 'turkey stuffing' flavour.  ?  I'll get back to you all on this...?

Needs more sage...?

• Haha (+1) 1

Speaking of food: I sent my daughter out when this all started with the direction of ‘just buy calories’ in the event stores closed. Now that we know they’re not closing the stuff she bought is just sitting here. Anyone in Rochester who wants it, I am happy to give it to them. Just PM me. ? 

45 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Speaking of food: I sent my daughter out when this all started with the direction of ‘just buy calories’ in the event stores closed. Now that we know they’re not closing the stuff she bought is just sitting here. Anyone in Rochester who wants it, I am happy to give it to them. Just PM me. ? 

That’s very kind of you!

I will NEVER forget that Friday weeks ago when the absolute PANIC took over. You couldn’t park in the grocery store parking lot. You had to follow someone to their car to get a cart. The store was so crowded the Fire Marshall should have taken charge. The checkout lines ran all the way up the aisles. The shelves were virtually empty so you just grabbed anything you could find. I got a cart full of strange soups that remained and a bunch of frozen stuff that’s more likely to kill you than the virus! 

We lived in hurricane territory for decades, but that panic shopping for water and lumber to board up was child’s play compared to this. They could have used the National Guard at a grocery store! I hope I never see anything like that again. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

That’s very kind of you!

I will NEVER forget that Friday weeks ago when the absolute PANIC took over. You couldn’t park in the grocery store parking lot. You had to follow someone to their car to get a cart. The store was so crowded the Fire Marshall should have taken charge. The checkout lines ran all the way up the aisles. The shelves were virtually empty so you just grabbed anything you could find. I got a cart full of strange soups that remained and a bunch of frozen stuff that’s more likely to kill you than the virus! 

We lived in hurricane territory for decades, but that panic shopping for water and lumber to board up was child’s play compared to this. They could have used the National Guard at a grocery store! I hope I never see anything like that again. 

Yeah, a friend of mine who’s a very high level exec had received a report from McKinsey and he called me and said to be prepared with enough food for five weeks so that’s what I sent her to buy. $700 Costco bill later and lots of it is still sitting here. 

As most if it’s processed, I’m happy to give it to someone needy...or who likes processed food. ? 

On 4/28/2020 at 5:19 PM, Seasons1992 said:

wonder how the cow brains in gravy ended up? LOL.... Oldest stuff I've consumed was 3 year expired hot sauce. Didn't make me sick but that stuff was HOT. Used to work with some guys in the Fire Dept that would eat expired stuff including moldy cheese from the garbage can. LOL