Eating out of the Cupboards

Now that we’re on wartime footing, I am doing my part to make do with supplies on hand.  Thanks to gall bladder and pancreatic issues two years back, I had sworn off ramen noodles, but just found a Spicy Chicken bowl, now residing in my gut.

Might be a ‘Mr. Creosote’ moment coming up...in more ways than one.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I still have plenty of food,  but if this isolation lasts for a while I hope to start cleaning out some of the old stuff.  I’ve found some canned soup and ancient pasta in my cupboard. I’ve also found some frozen veggies at the back of the freezer. I refuse to check expiration dates. Just boil those suckers and then go for it.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BUNCH OF MULARKEY said:

Dude I'd be careful with ramen noodles.   The sodium in them is astronomical.  Just use half the flavoring package if you must

The label reads one of them, and there’s 60% of my daily sodium recommendations.  

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The label reads one of them, and there’s 60% of my daily sodium recommendations.  

I grabbed a can of soup yesterday and made the mistake of reading the label. One can of soup was 65% of my daily sodium. Of course, they tell you one can is really two servings, so it’s only half of that (yeah, right!). I put it down and grabbed a can of black beans. NOT black bean soup, just black beans. That was 6% of my daily sodium. All these frozen meals I grabbed because they were all that was left during last Friday’s grocery store melee still sit in my freezer. I very rarely eat that stuff, and if you read the label you’ll know why. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

Local Wegman's update : very little in the meat dept.  Milk 2 gallon limit per sale.  Bread in surprisingly good availability.  Fresh vegetables in good supply.  Rice, pasta, and canned soup very little inventory.  I grabbed a box of elbows and a box of rice.  Probably 500 rolls of their toilet paper so I grabbed three rolls even though the limit was 6.  Probably have 18 rolls total now with a few going to the in-laws.   Heavy traffic even for a Friday.  I did not get over into the freezer area.  The plan for the week is involuntary vegetarian chili, mac salad, coleslaw all home made with a few bits of meat both bought today and from the freezer.  No ground beef in the house at present.  I might go see what the Mennonites have if I venture over to Yates County.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I used to really dig those too but unfortunately my health issues no longer allow it. I would cook 2 of them and dip sliced bread with peanut butter in it, a meal in itself.

Image result for spicy chicken ramen near me

cupboards are bare here, may have to go knock off a squirrel or two for supper.

My grandmother's cookbook has a recipe for squirrel. I think the book is from 1902 or something around there.

Edited by Hardhatharry
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Now that we’re on wartime footing, I am doing my part to make do with supplies on hand.  Thanks to gall bladder and pancreatic issues two years back, I had sworn off ramen noodles, but just found a Spicy Chicken bowl, now residing in my gut.

Might be a ‘Mr. Creosote’ moment coming up...in more ways than one.

I like you so for goodness sake, DO NOT EAT the mint.  Even though it's waffer theen.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I was at a men’s church retreat about 3 years ago, with a big group of guys. I took an open Value Bag of totini’s frozen pizza rolls back home, and it has resided in my freezer ever since, probably partially open. Dare I?  

Those are synthetic anyway......should be fine!

• Haha (+1) 2

I used to really dig those too but unfortunately my health issues no longer allow it. I would cook 2 of them and dip sliced bread with peanut butter in it, a meal in itself.

Image result for spicy chicken ramen near me

I like how "Flavor" is in a slightly smaller font.  It's like they're trying to hide it but not really trying to hide it.

• Haha (+1) 1

There are plenty in my yard.  They are doing work nearby and a new pair just put up a nest next door and is always visible to my dog and it is driving her crazy.  Will not charge to hunt.

P.S. This is probably how corona virus got introduced to humans - some who got hungry and hunted something not normally ate or someone put that kind of meat on market.  For a number of years a vendor in China has been selling rat meat as lamb.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/04/world/asia/rat-meat-sold-as-lamb-in-china-highlights-fears.html

Edited by Limeaid
added link
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

If you have a Fresh Market near you, they are totally stocked up on EVERYTHING it appears. Yeah it's more expensive, but no lines and all good.

We’ve had better luck going to the smaller stores. Everybody is hitting the HUGE Mothership Publix near us, thinking the bigger store will have the most inventory. In fact, what the bigger store has the most of is......people.....all going home disappointed. The smaller Publix had everything but TP and sanitizer. Trying a Fresh Market or a Sprouts is probably a very good idea. 

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There are plenty in my yard.  They are doing work nearby and a new pair just put up a nest next door and is always visible to my dog and it is driving her crazy.  Will not charge to hunt.

P.S. This is probably how corona virus got introduced to humans - some who got hungry and hunted something not normally ate or someone put that kind of meat on market.  For a number of years a vendor in China has been selling rat meat as lamb.

‘Good dog!’ does not necessarily mean the same thing the world over.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

if prepared right, it's actually not bad. now these were western ny squirrels so a big difference from the ones here in fl.

I wouldn't eat anything wild here although some eat wild pig. 

I was just kidding about eating them but if this continues, who the hell knows, I may have to resort to something here in the wild?