Bills Re-Sign S Dean Marlowe

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

You do understand they also need special team players, competition for camp and several backups?  Well, no apparently you don't.

Moronic knee-jerk reactions like this cause me to shake my head and ask, "Do these people know ANYTHING about building an NFL team?"  Marlow is familiar with the coaching staff, scheme and fellow players. He'll add to the competition at backup safety and is a fine ST player. He's the perfect kind of guy for this signing. Now, if you aren't a big fan, then hope he doesn't make the final roster---which could well be the case.

Wow, that's pretty insulting. In case you didn't know, NFL teams typically carry four safeties. The Bills have four who seem to be better than Marlowe. Just expressing my opinion that signing him wasn't needed when he's likely just going to be a camp body anyway. Relax.

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Wow, that's pretty insulting. In case you didn't know, NFL teams typically carry four safeties. The Bills have four who seem to be better than Marlowe. Just expressing my opinion that signing him wasn't needed when he's likely just going to be a camp body anyway. Relax.

But you MUST know they carry more than four safetys into camp, no? They don't just carry the four they think will stick on the roster? You DO get that, right? And there are injuries that happen during camp, and preseason. I assume you understand that, right?

So what's your issue with bringing back someone who knows the system, coaches and many of the other defensive players, to help compete for that last safety job?

12 hours ago, The Dean said:

But you MUST know they carry more than four safetys into camp, no? They don't just carry the four they think will stick on the roster? You DO get that, right? And there are injuries that happen during camp, and preseason. I assume you understand that, right?

So what's your issue with bringing back someone who knows the system, coaches and many of the other defensive players, to help compete for that last safety job?

Why do you feel it necessary to be a jerk? Come on, man. Why the condescension?

I figure Marlowe was more expensive than a late-round pick or undrafted FA and is probably going to get cut, so no need to sign him.

Are you related to Marlowe or something? My god.

11 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why do you feel it necessary to be a jerk? Come on, man. Why the condescension?

I figure Marlowe was more expensive than a late-round pick or undrafted FA and is probably going to get cut, so no need to sign him.

Are you related to Marlowe or something? My god.

But a late round pick won't have the same level of knowledge of the offense, and/or be able to provide the type of competition and leadership this front office looks for.  And, if you give it a minute or two of thought, you might realize this offseason is probably going to be extremely short. The chance to get a late round rookie acclimated to the NFL, then to the team, then to the scheme, will be a real challenge. This FO is trying to take the team to the next level. The difference between a rookie contract and Marlow's may not even impact the cap, and the bottom few players on the salary scale don't count toward the cap. 

I'm sorry if I seemed a bit rough, but maybe try giving REASONS for your takes, especially when they seem so at odds with those of the knowledgeable posters in the community.  And no, I don't  count myself as anywhere near the more knowledgeable posters on this forum. Otherwise these comments can come off looking troll-like (see Mr, WEO's posts as classic examples of troll posts), or at best completely uninformed.

I should have mentioned, even if Marlow's contract ends up counting against the cap, that's the beauty of this rebuild. Getting great players and STILL having cap room. Even if you don't spend too much time analyzing the deal, you have to consider maybe Beane and McDermott know a little something about the player and what they are looking for.  If you know better, then take us to school!

Edited by The Dean

18 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

But camp bodies are needed, though...

On 3/20/2020 at 10:24 AM, TroutDog said:

Keeping their own which has been their mantra. 

Really might be the most important season for continuity.  Due to COVID-19 I’d bet that there’s going to be a lot less practice time than usual. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Really might be the most important season for continuity.  Due to COVID-19 I’d bet that there’s going to be a lot less practice time than usual. 

Yep, I also think that will help the Bills against Pats* (QB) and Miami (huge turnover).

It may help the Jets by simply having the players NOT around Gase!

• Like (+1) 1