How the Bills trade up in the 2020 draft

I think Bean puts his team together by picking up underrated veterans and using the draft for a few all-pro-potential players, who can contribute or start their rookie season.  In 2019 and 2018 each there were two significant trade ups.

2019         Cody Ford.   We traded #40 (2nd round) and #158 (3rd round) to move up to #38.(2nd round)   Draft value chart delta= -8 points (we lost 8 )

Knox             We traded #112 and #131 (4th round picks) to move up to #96.  Draft value chart delta= +4

2018        Allen             We traded #12, #53 and #56 (one first and 2 seconds) to move up to #12.  Draft value chart delta= -397   (middle of 2nd round value. ouch)

Edmunds      We traded #22 and #65 to move up to #16  and some change. Draft value chart delta= -11

All these player contribute and have started.  QB is always a strange position.  What might Bean be planning on doing this year?  He doesn’t have all the extra draft picks to play too many times in 2020. Here are some possibilities

DRAFT PICK            # PICKED      POINTS          CASE1            CASE 2           CASE 3           CASE 4           

ROUND 2                  54                    360                  YES                YES                YES                YES

ROUND 3                  86                    160                  YES                YES                x                      YES

ROUND 4                  118                  58                    x                      YES                YES                x

ROUND 5                  150                  31                    x                      x                      YES                x

#2 2021                   #54?                180                  x                      x                      x                      YES

===========================================================================

We get:                                                                        #38                  #33                  #45                  #31

Move up=                                                                    16                    21                    9                      23

I expect to see one of these trades happen, probably for a running back to spell Singletary.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

sure if there is a guy with a first-round grade that falls near the pick in the second round - but the RBs aren't a hot FA commodity as a lot of vets are still available and likely are having the market set their price not vice vera...standing still in the second to pick a CB or OL over a RB makes sense to me; Singletary was a 3rd rounder so maybe that is where the value lies

• Like (+1) 1

JMO, I wouldn't be in favor of trading up as high as you're proposing necessarily. My ideal scenario would be to keep picks #54 and #86 and then trade back into the third round as we did last year (to pick Knox).

Imagine getting Chase Claypool, Bryce Hall, and AJ Dillon on Day 2. Think that's a realistic possibility with an extra 3rd rounder and that would be our WR4, CB2, and RB2 sorted. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

The short answer is that if they're smart, they don't trade up.  Frankly, this might be a year to trade down and stockpile picks for future years.  How many rookies do we need to make this team?  Likely - not many

The present talent level including depth is damn good. I rather doubt that 7 draft picks can make this team. Trading up by giving up more picks for a higher one is acknowledging that good fortune and going for quality over quantity. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

IMO we trade up back late 1st/early second and draft our highest rated RB.  It could be Taylor, Swift, Dobbins, Edwards-Helaire, Moss.  I am almost certain one of the above will be a Buffalo Bill.  Depending who, we might need to trade up.  RB1b is too much of a need.  We can do better then Hyde.  I'll take Hyde, and one of the aforementioned RBs.  We need a play maker at RB.   One who can take it to the house from our own 10.  Or who can burn a Pat cb deep on a wheel route.  Playmakers!  Our offense needs play makers!

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

The short answer is that if they're smart, they don't trade up.  Frankly, this might be a year to trade down and stockpile picks for future years.  How many rookies do we need to make this team?  Likely - not many

That argument goes every year.  They should not go after wild ass flyers, who might make the roster or not.    We have spent the bunch of lower round draft picks that we got by dismantling the old roster. ... This year, I think, we will use draft script to get a #1 WR and some other guy in the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd.  We need to stockpile pro-bowl level guys,

2 hours ago, Pete said:

IMO we trade up back late 1st/early second and draft our highest rated RB.  It could be Taylor, Swift, Dobbins, Edwards-Helaire, Moss.  I am almost certain one of the above will be a Buffalo Bill.  Depending who, we might need to trade up.  RB1b is too much of a need.  We can do better then Hyde.  I'll take Hyde, and one of the aforementioned RBs.  We need a play maker at RB.   One who can take it to the house from our own 10.  Or who can burn a Pat cb deep on a wheel route.  Playmakers!  Our offense needs play makers!

My thoughts exactly.

1 minute ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

That argument goes every year.  They should not go after wild ass flyers, who might make the roster or not.    We have spent the bunch of lower round draft picks that we got by dismantling the old roster. ... This year, I think, we will use draft script to get a #1 WR and some other guy in the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd.  We need to stockpile pro-bowl level guys,

I don't think they will make a big jump, rather he will do what he's done before and use some of the later picks to move up a few slots in R2 or R3 to get a guy they like, or move up from R4 into R3. They can pick up their big WR, RB, and either an OL or CB in the first three picks.