Bills/Diggs trade - did it drive Brady to leave NE?

3 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

I wish Brady would've stuck around another couple of years; it would've been nice if his decline allowed us some final memories of actually beating him on the field.  Instead, we're left to speculate whether or not the great Brady was vanquished by the offseason wizardry of McBeane.  I feel cheated.

Yep, but we do have the Fitz led upset (2011) and the 31-0 opener (2003).. 

Brady wants to win another championship and he doesn't think NE can do it.  So he went looking for a team that could, maybe, although TB?

A lot of other NE players looked around and concluded the same thing Brady did, and now they're ex-NE players.

7 hours ago, ColeB said:

Yep, but we do have the Fitz led upset (2011) and the 31-0 opener (2003).. 

And the Orton-led upset in the final game of 2014, when Brady spent the 2nd half resting up for the playoffs.  That's it; 3 wins vs Brady to go with 32 losses.  

12 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

brady-kisses.jpg

Brady and the Pats orginization even after a Tampa Bay vs Cheatriots game... There is no longer any excuse to be slipping your tongue down men's throats Tommy:sick:

Lol...despite the fact that he wears a kangol hat, Bruce Arians doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who will be into this. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I love the Bills so very much.  But do you think after the last 20 years, NE is concerned with us at all?  They have been horrible at getting him weapons besides Randy Moss and Gronk his entire there.  

Man, I wish Brady would have stayed and we could have finally slayed the dragon. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DFT said:

I heard it was an undercooked lobster tail...

Brady’s thoughts on Tampa Bay:  “They do lobster better there, but not so much the chow-DAH.”

EDIT:  Jamesis:  “Welcome to TB, Tom, I’ll show you the best place to ‘pick up’ some shellfish!”

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 3

14 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I find it very hard to believe it was strictly money driven. Not saying it had anything to do with Diggs. I just dont see him being overly depended on one last pay day.

Agreed.  Their household net worth is around 540 million dollars.   60 Million more doesn't hurt anyone, but with that much money it's not the thing driving life decisions.

Also, I cant even begin to fathom 540 million dollars from playing a sport and being pretty.

props to Brady for playing as long as he can play. Because there’s no going back once you’re done you’re done. Good fortune and God willing he’ll have another 40 years to be retired. If this is what he wants to do let him do what he loves.

I guess I kind of look at college players the same way and they need to leave early I think that’s kind of dumb because once they leave they may never play again but to each their own again

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Greed was the only factor in him leaving.  He does not need to play anymore.  IF he had any sense he would have retired while on top, with the last SB win.

Maybe he likes playing football and doesn’t want to stop playing 

• Like (+1) 3

I think this relationship was over the minute Bill was forced to trade Jimmy Garopollo. Bill wanted to move on but Brady won that battle with Kraft. So for the last couple of years you have a coach who knows his qurterback has more pull than him and a quarterback who knows his coach doesn’t want him. This was a natural break up. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Greed was the only factor in him leaving.  He does not need to play anymore.  IF he had any sense he would have retired while on top, with the last SB win.

Greed? I hate Brady as much as possible and greed was never an issue with him at all. For the last 15 years straight he has given hometown discounts to the Patriots.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

This is certainly suggestive, but of course who really knows. The Diggs trade came after the Hopkins trade, so the musical chairs were all filled.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-were-reportedly-in-discussions-to-make-two-blockbuster-trades-but-came-up-empty-both-times/

In the 24 hours before Tom Brady officially announced he was leaving New England, it appears the Patriots may have made a last-ditch effort to get him some offensive weapons. Two of the biggest trades that went down this week involved DeAndre Hopkins (to the Cardinals) and Stefon Diggs (to the Bills), and both deals went down on Monday, just hours before Brady officially informed Patriots owner Robert Kraft that he would be leaving the team after 20 years in New England. 

After the Patriots came up short on the Hopkins trade, it appears they went to their Plan B: Diggs. According to MMQB.com, the Patriots had some discussions with the Vikings about acquiring Diggs, but Minnesota eventually decided to make a deal with Buffalo in a trade that went down just after 10:30 p.m. ET on Monday. With the Patriots out of the Diggs sweepstakes, that meant no new weapons for Brady, and in what may or may not be a coincidence, Brady announced that he was leaving on Tuesday morning

It would make sense that NE and possibly others were in play for Diggs - which is why the Bills ended up giving up a 1st rounder to close the deal.  

The more I think about it - given Diggs’ age, contract and ability it makes sense to trade the pick than to draft an unknown commodity like Tee Higgins 

16 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Then why didn't NE match TB's offer?

I have no idea who BB wants as QB, though I'm sure he has a pretty good idea, otherwise he would have retained Brady.

This is what I was thinking.  

After Jimmy G was traded, it put BB on a slower time line to get rid of Tom Brady, and get rid of him he would have. He had his guy in place but Kraft and Brady put him in a bad spot by forcing the Jimmy G deal.  I'm not saying that BB is vindictive...however...Brady has not had the weapons in place for a reason.   Despite the fact that they tried with AB, but that didn't work.  I've always wondered about that deal, too.

Belichick probably has a QB in mind to run his system.  Could it be Dalton?  I don't think it would be anyone else out there, i.e. Cam Newton or Jamis Winston, neither of whom seem like a Belichich system type guy.  I would have said Bridgewater,  but he's already on the panthers.