Bills/Diggs trade - did it drive Brady to leave NE?

I agree.

Remember that Ole Bill used to look for those top WR's for Brady like Randy Moss, Wes Welker from the Dolphins, Troy Brown, Dion Branch, Chris Hogan, Brandon Cooks, Josh Gordon...and the Patriots did draft N'Keal Harry with their #1 pick in 2019 and he spent the season injured. Didn't even try for Greg Olsen.

Brady recently lost Gronk with no real replacement and it was known the Patriots were after John Brown and Cole Beasley that ended up in Buffalo.

I think Brady looked at the Patriots roster and said wtf do I throw to as a WR besides Edelman? Their other leading receiver was RB James White and Sanu did squat. 

I also think that seeing Diggs go to Buffalo was the very last straw and its almost like Belichick didn't do enough to secure some top WR talent on purpose to get Brady out by himself. He wanted Jimmy G and the teams owner said no, so they traded him. This might have been Belichicks way of moving on.

It's also not like the Patriots don't have options, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton or draft a rookie.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'll suggest that Aaron Rodgers has very little left in the tank. I think he hasn't been himself in recent years.

Physically he has plenty in the tank, he just looks mentally checked out, he doesn't really care and he just looks like a brat frustrated with his team. He certainly doesn't look like a leader.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree.

Remember that Ole Bill used to look for those top WR's for Brady like Randy Moss, Wes Welker from the Dolphins, Troy Brown, Dion Branch, Chris Hogan, Brandon Cooks, Josh Gordon

The only "top receiver" in that group is Moss.  Come on with that list!

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He told them he was gone.  Why would they make that offer?  They couldn't make him stay.  He wanted to go.

NE could have made Brady an offer.  At no point before Tampa's offer did Brady come out and say "Peace out."

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

NE could have made Brady an offer.  At no point before Tampa's offer did Brady come out and say "Peace out."

Really?  

He specifically listed 4 criteria for his next destination.  He was not staying in NE.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on with this!....he was gone as soon as the off-season started.  

It is quite odd that Brady waiting until the day after the Bills announce the trade for Diggs that Brady makes his announcement that he won't be back in New England.

I think there is a direct relation to Brady not having enough weapons at receiver in New England. It was noted that Brady kept in touch with WR Antonio Brown until very recently.

JMHO

I think a bunch of things happened concurrently. It's of course impossible to know what is true or not.

I think Brady was leaning to coming back or almost sure to.

I think the Patriots believed he was coming back.

I think Bellichick and Kraft were arrogant enough to believe that they didn't have to massage the situation.

I think Brady and Belichick all but hate each other these days but also know or knew they needed each other.

I think Brady was waiting to see what kind of teams and offers were coming in FA.

I think the Hopkins and Diggs situations really pissed him off and put him over the edge. Then he just said ***** this, I can go play for $30m with a bunch of great WR and prove I didn't need them (which wouldn't of course since the Bucs have a far better roster). Was it the major reason? Not at all. Could it have been the last straw? I think so.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he did too. 

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree.

Remember that Ole Bill used to look for those top WR's for Brady like Randy Moss, Wes Welker from the Dolphins, Troy Brown, Dion Branch, Chris Hogan, Brandon Cooks, Josh Gordon...and the Patriots did draft N'Keal Harry with their #1 pick in 2019 and he spent the season injured. Didn't even try for Greg Olsen.

Brady recently lost Gronk with no real replacement and it was known the Patriots were after John Brown and Cole Beasley that ended up in Buffalo.

I think Brady looked at the Patriots roster and said wtf do I throw to as a WR besides Edelman? Their other leading receiver was RB James White and Sanu did squat. 

I also think that seeing Diggs go to Buffalo was the very last straw and its almost like Belichick didn't do enough to secure some top WR talent on purpose to get Brady out by himself. He wanted Jimmy G and the teams owner said no, so they traded him. This might have been Belichicks way of moving on.

It's also not like the Patriots don't have options, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton or draft a rookie.

I actually have a different take.

I think Brady was done after this year. I think he wanted the Pats to make a big move to try to win it all next year. I think BB, who isn’t stupid and probably isn’t retiring this year, thought about it and decided to not move around picks in a Win-Now mode with Brady on his way out and an aging Edelman after getting bounced in the WC round and being maybe the third or fourth best team in the AFC. This isn’t the year to go all in for the Pats. And that’s what Brady wants.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

It is quite odd that Brady waiting until the day after the Bills announce the trade for Diggs that Brady makes his announcement that he won't be back in New England.

I think there is a direct relation to Brady not having enough weapons at receiver in New England. It was noted that Brady kept in touch with WR Antonio Brown until very recently.

JMHO

So you think that Brady would have stayed in NE if only Diggs was brought in?

No chance.  He has been considering his next team for weeks: LV, LAC, Tampa, Tenn.  No doubt he told his good pal Vrabel that he wansn't going to come to Tennises, otherwise there is no way the Titans would have made that horrible decision to blow so much money on a career scrub who had a late flash in the pan season.

There's no chance that Brady's decision to go to Tampa had anything to do with just the Bills picking up a guy like Diggs.  That's nuts

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The only "top receiver" in that group is Moss.  Come on with that list!

WR Antonio Brown was one that I didn't mention and that was another big loss that wasn't replaced.

Think about how crafty Ole Bill has been to be able to keep that team in contention for a SB for nearly 20 years while building a #1 defense and paying for everyone.

I think they both said enough of this... 

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think a bunch of things happened concurrently. It's of course impossible to know what is true or not.

I think Brady was leaning to coming back or almost sure to.

I think the Patriots believed he was coming back.

I think Bellichick and Kraft were arrogant enough to believe that they didn't have to massage the situation.

I think Brady and Belichick all but hate each other these days but also know or knew they needed each other.

I think Brady was waiting to see what kind of teams and offers were coming in FA.

I think the Hopkins and Diggs situations really pissed him off and put him over the edge. Then he just said ***** this, I can go play for $30m with a bunch of great WR and prove I didn't need them (which wouldn't of course since the Bucs have a far better roster). Was it the major reason? Not at all. Could it have been the last straw? I think so.

I agree. 

Just now, Nihilarian said:

WR Antonio Brown was one that I didn't mention and that was another big loss that wasn't replaced.

Think about how crafty Ole Bill has been to be able to keep that team in contention for a SB for nearly 20 years while building a #1 defense and paying for everyone.

I think they both said enough of this... 

AB had a cup of coffee in NE.  They scored 31 peg first half of season without him.

Let's see how BB does with Cam Newton looking for Edelman

I read The Washington was trying for Diggs as well, with them and the pats trying to land Diggs, that is what likely pushed up his price to us.
    As to Tawmy leaving, I think both parties were more than tired of each other going back some time now. 

Oh, and Fuh K Tom Brady.. ? armed, PAB...

33 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I find it very hard to believe it was strictly money driven. Not saying it had anything to do with Diggs. I just dont see him being overly depended on one last pay day.

Could be that he just wanted to try to win in these last two or so seasons and it was obvious it wasn’t going to happen in NE.  It could also be that he saw his salary as a sign of respect (or disrespect).  That’s not unusual either.  I have to think that if Hopkins or Diggs was the difference between him staying or going, then the Patriots would’ve made it happen.  Unless they wanted to move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

The big news here is that the Pats lost out on Diggs and the Bills won.  It makes having Diggs at One Bills Drive even sweeter. 

• Like (+1) 4

I wish Brady would've stuck around another couple of years; it would've been nice if his decline allowed us some final memories of actually beating him on the field.  Instead, we're left to speculate whether or not the great Brady was vanquished by the offseason wizardry of McBeane.  I feel cheated.