Bills/Diggs trade - did it drive Brady to leave NE?

This is certainly suggestive, but of course who really knows. The Diggs trade came after the Hopkins trade, so the musical chairs were all filled.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-were-reportedly-in-discussions-to-make-two-blockbuster-trades-but-came-up-empty-both-times/

In the 24 hours before Tom Brady officially announced he was leaving New England, it appears the Patriots may have made a last-ditch effort to get him some offensive weapons. Two of the biggest trades that went down this week involved DeAndre Hopkins (to the Cardinals) and Stefon Diggs (to the Bills), and both deals went down on Monday, just hours before Brady officially informed Patriots owner Robert Kraft that he would be leaving the team after 20 years in New England. 

After the Patriots came up short on the Hopkins trade, it appears they went to their Plan B: Diggs. According to MMQB.com, the Patriots had some discussions with the Vikings about acquiring Diggs, but Minnesota eventually decided to make a deal with Buffalo in a trade that went down just after 10:30 p.m. ET on Monday. With the Patriots out of the Diggs sweepstakes, that meant no new weapons for Brady, and in what may or may not be a coincidence, Brady announced that he was leaving on Tuesday morning

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Doubt it.  Brady wanted one final payday before he hangs the helmet up for good.  Tampa decided to give him the money and Brady took it since NE wasn't going $30M/year.

I find it very hard to believe it was strictly money driven. Not saying it had anything to do with Diggs. I just dont see him being overly depended on one last pay day.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Doubt it.  Brady wanted one final payday before he hangs the helmet up for good.  Tampa decided to give him the money and Brady took it since NE wasn't going $30M/year.

My theory all along has been that Belichick is bored and wants a new challenge. He has nothing to prove and his legacy is completely cemented.

I did think about that as well. They have tried and failed to get TB12 a new weapon for years now, Antonio Brown, Mohomad Sanu, D. Hop...a then the diggs trade to the bills after reports of NE trying to get him... Diggs is very similar to AB Imo..

Brady is now loaded with weapons with the bucs... 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My theory all along has been that Belichick is bored and wants a new challenge. He has nothing to prove and his legacy is completely cemented.

I think Belichick knows Brady has very little left in the tank and wants to make a change at QB.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I find it very hard to believe it was strictly money driven. Not saying it had anything to do with Diggs. I just dont see him being overly depended on one last pay day.

Could be.  If Belichick wants to make a change at QB, Brady feels slighted and wants to prove he can still play; an ego play by Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

Patriettes didn't  have the resources or at least willingness to add the cap space to improve their offensive skill positions this off-season.  

And I doubt Brady wanted to play another year with rookies.  It's not out of the question, but I think his mind was made up before, but who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

I think Belichick knows Brady has very little left in the tank and wants to make a change at QB.

Could be.  If Belichick wants to make a change at QB, Brady feels slighted and wants to prove he can still play; an ego play by Brady.

BB provided him with zero weapons outside of his slot receiver.  Yet he still had numbers on par with Aaron Rodgers, who no one yet is suggesting has very little left in the tank...

With that Offensive lineup, what QB is BB going to bring in to do better?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yep, plus the Pats are cap strapped and Bill Belichick doesn't want to invest in such an old QB anymore.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

BB provided him with zero weapons outside of his slot receiver.  Yet he still had numbers on par with Aaron Rodgers, who no one yet is suggesting has very little left in the tank...

I'll suggest that Aaron Rodgers has very little left in the tank. I think he hasn't been himself in recent years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yep, plus the Pats are cap strapped and Bill Belichick doesn't want to invest in such an old QB anymore.

I'll suggest that Aaron Rodgers has very little left in the tank. I think he hasn't been himself in recent years.

I won't disagree there....

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Then why didn't NE match TB's offer?

I have no idea who BB wants as QB, though I'm sure he has a pretty good idea, otherwise he would have retained Brady.

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

Then why didn't NE match TB's offer?

I have no idea who BB wants as QB, though I'm sure he has a pretty good idea, otherwise he would have retained Brady.

He told them he was gone.  Why would they make that offer?  They couldn't make him stay.  He wanted to go.