Flacco Backup ?

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He just needs better knowledge?  What is situational play for a backup?  And no one wants the backup to play.

I don't understand any sentence past the first in that post...

Saying that Flacco's football knowledge is likely more extensive then Barkley's and their he could be a better mentor.

He has taken more live looks at an NFL level then Barkley.

Flacco may want to hang it up. But if he has desire to teach and possible help in a injury situation. He might give us more than Barkley does.

1 minute ago, wppete said:

No thanks. I’d rather get Trubisky.

Man, go wash your mouth out with soap!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

Saying that Flacco's football knowledge is likely more extensive then Barkley's and their he could be a better mentor.

He has taken more live looks at an NFL level then Barkley.

Flacco may want to hang it up. But if he has desire to teach and possible help in a injury situation. He might give us more than Barkley does.

Man, go wash your mouth out with soap!

Flacco no doubt still views himself as a starter.  The league is not known for such guys being very helpful or willing "mentors" to the young guy starting ahead of them.

Barkley knows he's never a starter in this league other than for injury, so he plays his role as good guy mentor.  Zero pressure.  Free money. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/05/14/broncos-joe-flacco-drew-lock/3664148002/

Flacco publicly stated he wasn't a mentor with the Broncos. At the time he was the starter, so probably more focused on attempting to keep his job.

Things have gone further downhill for him, so maybe he sees things differently now.

Edited by itaos
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I did.  I definitely think Flacco, or a similar type, could easily win a few games with out defense.  Barkley, with his career 6.1 int %, is far less safe of a bet.

I did say there is always the exception to the rule, (you seemed to have missed that). You noting that a vast minority of teams end up in the position of the Saints, merely agrees with what I posted. I took no position on Barkley or Flacco. Only that the vast majority of teams are done if their QB1 is out for an extended period. Your statement in effect reinforces my statement. ?

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

We have one of the best backup QB situations in the league, why are people obsessed with changing it? 

Barkley is cheap, a great locker room guy who supports Josh Allen, good enough to survive a few games and is accepting of his role. 

We most certainly do not have one of the best backup QBs in the league. Barkley sucks. He’s probably a great locker room guy but that’s probably it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DJB said:

No!!!!

There is more to being an NFL backup than simply being the next man up. These guys spend hours together breaking down film and working out together. It's an important  relationship.

We have a young ascending but not yet established  QB. Bringing in a big name QB only puts more pressure on Josh and he doesn't need that. 

People need to stop making a thread everytime they think of some sort of backup that  should be added to the Bills . 

Think first .  

On one hand I agree... brining in a former starting QB as a backup almost sends a message that the franchise isn’t 100% confident in Allen.  It seems small but when so much is riding on your QB, you don’t want anything to mess with his head.  

IF Allen has a Trubisky-like season in his 3rd year, you’ll see them bring in competition like a Flacco to take the reigns

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nucci said:

Anyone here watch him play last year?

No.  They were all too busy trying to think of the next idiotic thread to start.  Gotta go...tracking down a rumor where the Bills would trade for both of the Bosa brothers..connect the dots.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Pay_Poyer said:

I would take him as the back up. To me it comes down to if Josh goes down, who do you have more faith in winning a couple of games-Flacco or Barkley. Personally I would have a lot more confidence in Flacco going 2-2 over a 4 game stretch with the weapons the Bills have than Barkley. Watching Barkley in the New England game for me last year was hard.  Very likable guy, supports Josh, but I feel Flacco has more talent 

Watching Barkley play vs NE was hard, but he did move the ball.

Flacco was a much better QB in his day, but his day seems to be done.  It was just as hard watching Flacco play in Baltimore and in Denver.

PS now that Poyer's been paid, shouldn't you change your screen name?

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

We have one of the best backup QB situations in the league, why are people obsessed with changing it? 

Barkley is cheap, a great locker room guy who supports Josh Allen, good enough to survive a few games and is accepting of his role. 

I don’t know if it’s the best but it’s adequate. People are basing their  Barkley disapproval off the last game he played in. Which was in the rain with the second team going against the Jets first team. 
Funny how after 2018 we didn’t hear anything about it, why? Because Matt had played great in a few games. 
You are right about him being a good locker room guy, supporting Josh, and good enough to win a few.

So we don't have the cap space to afford Flacco or better said .. I'd prefer our remaining cap to go to other priorities (i.e. - resign Tre) .. that said ... if you said you said who's a better mentor for Allen .. I'd take Flacco over Barkley any day.  I like Barkley and he's done great and is great locker room and team guy ... but he hasn't put a team on his back and reached the pinnacle.  Again think long term development for Josh, and frankly I think if Josh is injured ... Flacco vs Barkley is a coin flip ... though I believe Flacco's arm is closer to Josh than Barkley (who is a throw to a window QB).

2012 season: En route to winning Super Bowl XLVII and Super Bowl MVP, Flacco was 317-of-531 for 3,817 yards, 22 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Mounting one of the most memorable playoff runs ever, the QB was 73-of-126 for 1,140 yards and a 117.2 QB rating, becoming the second QB in NFL postseason history to throw 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions.

2014 season: Flacco started all 16 games for the seventh-consecutive season and set career-highs in passing yards (3,986) and touchdown passes (27). He became the first QB in NFL history to reach the postseason in six of his first seven years, with the Ravens offense setting a franchise single-season record in yards and points-scored

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DJB said:

No!!!!

There is more to being an NFL backup than simply being the next man up. These guys spend hours together breaking down film and working out together. It's an important  relationship.

We have a young ascending but not yet established  QB. Bringing in a big name QB only puts more pressure on Josh and he doesn't need that. 

People need to stop making a thread everytime they think of some sort of backup that  should be added to the Bills . 

Think first .  

I agree and Matt B is on a very cap friendly deal not to mention him and Josh are tight.

Getting two QB's that fit well together and know their rolls is important.

I could never see the fans turning on Josh as long as Barkley is the BU QB no one wants him on the field.

I remember fans deriding Jimbo and calling for Reich to be the starter back in the day :(

Lets keep the status quo for now :) 

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Flacco Backup?  You’re probably not getting enough fibre in your diet.

I want Falco of the Replacements ;) 

I wonder if Keanu is tired of playing John Wick ;) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t know if it’s the best but it’s adequate. People are basing their  Barkley disapproval off the last game he played in. Which was in the rain with the second team going against the Jets first team. 
Funny how after 2018 we didn’t hear anything about it, why? Because Matt had played great in a few games. 
You are right about him being a good locker room guy, supporting Josh, and good enough to win a few.

No, people are basing it off his entire career.  That one game was the complete outlier.  (58.8%, 10 td to 21 int!,  65.7 qb rating).  That’s freaking awful and may be the worst of any qb not named Peterman in the nfl.  I can’t believe people are content with him because he’s friends with Josh and knows the playbook.

and washed up Flacco’s numbers last year:  65.2%, 6 td, 5 int, 227 passing yards/ game, 85.1 qb rating.  His worst is so far superior to Barkley’s best and oh yeah, he won a SB.  We are keeping a 2 because they are nice instead of rolling with an aging 8.  It makes no sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Bringing in an additional QB (whether it is Flacco, pending a passed physical, or someone else) to compete with Barkley for the backup job is not a bad idea. Heck, especially with the expanded roster size, there is no reason the Bills couldn't bring in a solid veteran as backup and STILL keep Barkley as a QB3 for his locker room presence, familiarity with the offense and as an advocate for Josh. Many teams do keep 3 QBs on the active roster, although our current regime has shied away from that.

• Thank you (+1) 1