One Flu over the Cuckoo's Nest (Conspiracy Theories)

Foxx

3 hours ago, Azalin said:

All anyone has to offer in the way of information are hunches. The medical and scientific communities are still coming to grips with this, while everyone else is either clamoring for answers, dispensing opinions, or making doomsday predictions. 

As far as I'm concerned, there's plenty to be concerned about. I'm in my early 60's, with COPD and type 2 diabetes. I'm staying at home, having my groceries delivered, and keeping everyone else the hell away from me. 

This may not be that big a deal to most, but it is to me. Until I learn otherwise, I'm watching and waiting, looking after myself, and keeping everyone else both at arm's length and in my prayers. 

I am essentially doing the same. I am diabetic. Wifey has banned me from running any errands and being around people. Stay safe, my heavy metal brother!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This belongs here in the cuckoo section.  Escobar has written some interesting things in the past, but I'm not sure how to categorize this one?  I do know that his comment about elimination of reserve requirements is off the mark.  The derivatives market implosion may be correct, but the elimination of reserves and credit explosion is not.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/china-locked-in-hybrid-war-with-us/

Btw, there's an interesting tidbit in there that mentions a Saint Corona, the patron saint of pandemics...

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Azalin said:

All anyone has to offer in the way of information are hunches. The medical and scientific communities are still coming to grips with this, while everyone else is either clamoring for answers, dispensing opinions, or making doomsday predictions. 

As far as I'm concerned, there's plenty to be concerned about. I'm in my early 60's, with COPD and type 2 diabetes. I'm staying at home, having my groceries delivered, and keeping everyone else the hell away from me. 

This may not be that big a deal to most, but it is to me. Until I learn otherwise, I'm watching and waiting, looking after myself, and keeping everyone else both at arm's length and in my prayers. 

Stay safe man. We need you for when the bills win the super bowl 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Foxx said:

alternative title: Corona Beer Skeptics. Would you like Lyme with that? 

okay... i'm not saying the Kung Flu is a hoax and i am also not saying it is the world ending event some would have you believe. i honestly do not know exactly what this thing is. we simply have way to much disinformation out and about and too little actual hard factual evidence to make a well informed, educated conclusion from. certain things are becoming more and more clear as we move along in time but as yet... knowing exactly what this thing is is impossible right now.

as an example of things i am looking at, to give a better insight to what is actually happening (being i am naturally highly skeptical of the 'official word'), i wonder why somethings are not like others. what i mean is that here in the US we should be approaching the point where we should be seeing certain images, if not already there. anyone who has been following this down here in the dungeon should remember the vivid images of victims keeling over while walking down the street, faceplanting on the sidewalk or in hospital corridors in China, Iran and selected other places. 

damn near everyone in the US has a phone so there is really no way that TPTB could reasonably suppress these images from escaping into the wilds. hell, even China couldn't do that. please do not misunderstand me here, in no way do i want to see these things but, all things being equal, should we not be seeing things like this in the US?

What is your over under for it not being overblown?

2 hours ago, TH3 said:

What is your over under for it not being overblown?

to be honest, i'm not sure but i am thinking something like, mortality rate on a comparable scale of flu numbers. 

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I don't think it's overblown, but when I hear people starting to talk about a 30 days quarantine being six months, or 18 months, I become disturbed that no one is attempting to calculate the human toll on intentionally smashing the global economy into dust.

How many people are going to die as a result of financial ruin?

it is proven that the mortality rate rises when there is a financial downturn. i posited yesterday, the Trump Economy thread i think, that, depending on the final numbers, the economic collapse could have a higher fatality rate than this actual virus.

also, if this lock down continues for 6 months, it is all but guaranteed that the JIT supply system will collapse. it is already stressing and it may be that all it needs is 3 months to start breaking down in earnest. uncharted waters lie ahead if this goes on much longer.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KRC said:

I am essentially doing the same. I am diabetic. Wifey has banned me from running any errands and being around people. Stay safe, my heavy metal brother!!

To you as well! :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/19/2020 at 2:39 PM, shoshin said:

This won't age well. 

Are you saying that you don't believe that hospitals are already having tragic shortages of basic supplies? Medical workers are not already coming down with this?

Do you understand how an exponential (or something akin to it--I'd love for the leveling off to happen quickly as some reports may indicate) works? Do you understand that we are only at the beginning of this and that is why we don't have a massive buildup of cases yet?  

Were you one of those people saying last week, "What's the big deal, there are only 40 cases so far?"

Do you Trump /America haters ever shut the %$#@ up

9 hours ago, TPS said:

This belongs here in the cuckoo section.  Escobar has written some interesting things in the past, but I'm not sure how to categorize this one?  I do know that his comment about elimination of reserve requirements is off the mark.  The derivatives market implosion may be correct, but the elimination of reserves and credit explosion is not.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/china-locked-in-hybrid-war-with-us/

Btw, there's an interesting tidbit in there that mentions a Saint Corona, the patron saint of pandemics...

Eliminating reserve requirements.  Good night Irene, learn history people.

37 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Including Benghazi? 

What? Go on...

20 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I don't think it's overblown, but when I hear people starting to talk about a 30 days quarantine being six months, or 18 months, I become disturbed that no one is attempting to calculate the human toll on intentionally smashing the global economy into dust.

Depression, suicide, domestic abuse, drug and alcohol abuse will all increase. And what will happen when the bill is due for paying for all this. There is a saying about war, you can win the war and lose the peace. This will be a mess that will need cleaned up. 

On 3/19/2020 at 9:14 PM, KD in CA said:

It’s disturbing how many sheep in NY and CAL are allowing themselves to be controlled by dictator Governors without a thought. Their very financial lives are being torn asunder , but they stand feebly by. Poor planning by Governor Cuomo ( he was warned of a ventilator shortage in the situation of a pandemic back in 2015) has led to this. He chose to not add one half of one percentage point to the budget by purchasing thousands of ventilators at $36k apiece. That would be a bargain price now. Anyway, he can’t keep the charge up for too long without destroying the greater economy for hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers, perhaps even millions in the name of saving a few thousand lives. It’s a tough choice for sure, but there is no good outcome. Our medical system still has many more ventilators per 1000 population than all of the socialized medicine countries. It’s still not enough, but we need to pool resources and do the best we can while opening up daily life and trying to take precautions. At the current rate, many more lives will be ruined than lost to the virus. 

11 hours ago, Albwan said:

Do you Trump /America haters ever shut the %$#@ up

I don’t hate Trump or America. I am rooting for our president to succeed and for us to bond as Americans.

I see a disease that has barely started its US progression with a peak Coming in mid May or June. I hope desperately that these lockdown measures (going to be more like 6-8 weeks to be effective)  come with Massive testing and a clear tracking plan so we can have an economy to even discuss in 2 years. 

I understand the desire to be skeptical but I’m close to the healthcare system and it’s not going to be OK in this first wave. NYC is at the bare beginning of the outbreak and supplies are running low. The CDC is talking about using bandanas in medical settings. Masks for a week. This is unheard of before now for a reason. 

A strong weaker mutation would be amazing. A severe weather change impact would buy us time to prepare for the fall. Drug breakthrough please yes. But these are not going to help much in this initial wave. 

Balancing the economic vs health issues is juggling chainsaws. Something is going to get cut off. We are trying for the 6-8 weeks shutdown that saves something. This is smart but it’s not organized and won’t work unless it is centralized with testing “like you wouldn’t believe” to use a stock phrase of Trump’s along with disease tracking to isolate positive cases. Korea provides a model. We were not ready to follow it and that’s just what it is. Hard truth. We have woeful testing resources and I see zero discussion in leadership about testing. 

It’s not Trump’s fault. It would not have been Hillary’s fault in a parallel universe. Or Biden no matter how he Monday morning QB’s this mess. But can we get to the KR model of huge testing and rigorous tracking in 8 weeks?

We can’t by waiting for governors and not putting everything as a country into it. Trump says we are at war? OK agreed. But then he is looking to Governors to make decisions. Are you following General Cuomo who was slow to act in NY? General Wolfe who locked down much of Philadelphia early? General Desantis who didn’t shut down FL and now all those kids are going home after bathing in each other’s germs? Trump is doing a great service to the Tenth Amendment right now. It’s about time he did something for the “United” part of the name of our country. 

Tell us the plan with voices in the room all of America trusts. Marshall and organize the resources. Execute the plan and change it as required. Ignore fighting with the media, re-election, giving himself credit, etc. Just do it. America will be grateful to a president of “United” States and November will take care of itself. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s disturbing how many sheep in NY and CAL are allowing themselves to be controlled by dictator Governors without a thought. Their very financial lives are being torn asunder , but they stand feebly by. Poor planning by Governor Cuomo ( he was warned of a ventilator shortage in the situation of a pandemic back in 2015) has led to this. He chose to not add one half of one percentage point to the budget by purchasing thousands of ventilators at $36k apiece. That would be a bargain price now. Anyway, he can’t keep the charge up for too long without destroying the greater economy for hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers, perhaps even millions in the name of saving a few thousand lives. It’s a tough choice for sure, but there is no good outcome. Our medical system still has many more ventilators per 1000 population than all of the socialized medicine countries. It’s still not enough, but we need to pool resources and do the best we can while opening up daily life and trying to take precautions. At the current rate, many more lives will be ruined than lost to the virus. 

human ingenuity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6fWpdXvOYk&feature=emb_logo

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

but, but.......#orangemanbad

Everyone knows we had plenty of ventilators under Obama.  Trump must have sold them all when he took over.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

On 3/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, Bob in Mich said:

If there was justice in the universe, rather than culling the elderly, this virus would cull our world of the idiots.  Please God, start with those that continue to claim that this is all overblown.

Don't want Bob's wish for death to all those who disagree with him to slide too far off the thread. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1