Further Offensive Improvement

elijah

3 hours ago, elijah said:

Is Diggs enough to make this offense strong enough to make a Super Bowl run? 

Right now I see a top 20 offense that should be consistent enough to ride a stronger defense than last year to a playoff victory or two. I don’t see a top 10 offense that can bail the defense out 2 or 3 times or compete with KC/Baltimore en route to the Super Bowl. 

We know that Beane isn’t tone deaf at this point and we know that he’s aware when things need to be addressed, but we’re  running out of cap space and lack a 1st round pick. 

Spotrac has us sitting around $25M cap space and $32M for the top 51, but that’s without Jefferson, Matavich & Taiwan Jones contracts factored in, so it’s closer to $15M & $22M.  

Cutting Murphy, Long and Lee Smith could bring that back up to around the $25M & $32M numbers. 

So, with that in mind, how do you want to see Beane round out the offense this offseason? 

I think a #2 RB, an improvement over Kroft as #2 TE, and a better #4 WR would pull the offense together into that top 10 unit.  You can never have too much O-Line depth either. 

In my dream scenario, Jonathan Taylor/JK Dobbins last until the early 2nd where we can trade up.  A WR like Travis Benjamin continues to slip in FA until they’re willing to sign for a value prove-it deal (1yr/$5M?) and TE can be addressed in the 3rd with a Hunter Bryant/Brycen Hopkins. 

What say you about where the offense is and where and where you want it to be? 

So they are going to cut Long right after picking up his option and open up the void a DE they just filled.

Also, if we have a stronger D than last year then we are good to go.

I think Josh Allen taking another step could take us to top15 maybe higher.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

It’s coming.,. ?

Go Bills!!!

5 hours ago, elijah said:

Is Diggs enough to make this offense strong enough to make a Super Bowl run? 

Right now I see a top 20 offense that should be consistent enough to ride a stronger defense than last year to a playoff victory or two. I don’t see a top 10 offense that can bail the defense out 2 or 3 times or compete with KC/Baltimore en route to the Super Bowl. 

We know that Beane isn’t tone deaf at this point and we know that he’s aware when things need to be addressed, but we’re  running out of cap space and lack a 1st round pick. 

Spotrac has us sitting around $25M cap space and $32M for the top 51, but that’s without Jefferson, Matavich & Taiwan Jones contracts factored in, so it’s closer to $15M & $22M.  

Cutting Murphy, Long and Lee Smith could bring that back up to around the $25M & $32M numbers. 

So, with that in mind, how do you want to see Beane round out the offense this offseason? 

I think a #2 RB, an improvement over Kroft as #2 TE, and a better #4 WR would pull the offense together into that top 10 unit.  You can never have too much O-Line depth either. 

In my dream scenario, Jonathan Taylor/JK Dobbins last until the early 2nd where we can trade up.  A WR like Travis Benjamin continues to slip in FA until they’re willing to sign for a value prove-it deal (1yr/$5M?) and TE can be addressed in the 3rd with a Hunter Bryant/Brycen Hopkins. 

What say you about where the offense is and where and where you want it to be? 

So you're cutting 3 players and saving around $7 mil.  Do you actually think you can sign 3 players as good as those three are for less than $7 mil?  You've no t just created more holes to fill.

You  want to improve the TE play over Kroft, so you cut a blocking TE.  If you do what you're saying there'd be little to no roster spots open for rookies anyway, so may as well trade all the draft picks left.

Just keep cutting players under reasonable contracts is the way to go right to salary cap hell within a couple years.

16 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So you're cutting 3 players and saving around $7 mil.  Do you actually think you can sign 3 players as good as those three are for less than $7 mil?  You've no t just created more holes to fill.

You  want to improve the TE play over Kroft, so you cut a blocking TE.  If you do what you're saying there'd be little to no roster spots open for rookies anyway, so may as well trade all the draft picks left.

Just keep cutting players under reasonable contracts is the way to go right to salary cap hell within a couple years.

Cutting Murphy alone saves $7M, and he’s simply not needed. Between Hughes, Addison, Jefferson and Johnson, he’s getting overpaid at a position that has been rebuilt through FA and is loaded with depth. There’s no holes created by moving on from Murphy, and the $7M can be used at a position of bigger need like CB. 

In this scenario after cutting Lee Smith to save another ~$2.5M, you’re drafting a rookie who’s cap hit would be lower and could still fill Smith’s role, so no hole created. 

As for Long, it may be a bit counter-productive to cut him but you can save over $3M and for how little he saw the field last year that may be worth it. But at that point, cutting Long would be splitting hairs a little bit 

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

A bigger key might be Cody Ford at RT.

If he becomes more consistent, watch out.

And if he doesn’t progress, he may be a downfall of the offense. 

I wanted to see further offensive line improvements but unfortunately this far in with this little cap space and no 1st round pick, it seems like we know who our starters are 

1 minute ago, elijah said:

And if he doesn’t progress, he may be a downfall of the offense. 

I wanted to see further offensive line improvements but unfortunately this far in with this little cap space and no 1st round pick, it seems like we know who our starters are 

Ford has the talent.

All eyes will be on him to start 2020.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they'll bring in a quality veteran RB, but I want most early draft picks to be all offense. 

Need another early round WR, IMO.

If they bring in a quality vet RB, the Bills will basically draft BPA regardless of position.

• Like (+1) 1

Our defense and scheme are strong. If we have a top half (16 or better) offense, we can make a deep push in the playoffs. 

While Diggs is a super great addition to the offense, the improvement needs to come from Josh. If he becomes just an average quarterback this year (14-18 rank), we are going to be dang good as a team. 

I am soooo freaking excited. 

2 hours ago, elijah said:

Cutting Murphy alone saves $7M, and he’s simply not needed. Between Hughes, Addison, Jefferson and Johnson, he’s getting overpaid at a position that has been rebuilt through FA and is loaded with depth. There’s no holes created by moving on from Murphy, and the $7M can be used at a position of bigger need like CB. 

In this scenario after cutting Lee Smith to save another ~$2.5M, you’re drafting a rookie who’s cap hit would be lower and could still fill Smith’s role, so no hole created. 

As for Long, it may be a bit counter-productive to cut him but you can save over $3M and for how little he saw the field last year that may be worth it. But at that point, cutting Long would be splitting hairs a little bit 

So until you're strapped for cash and can't sign someone you want to sign IMO don't cut anyone.  You have no idea if all of the names mentioned above make it through pre-season healthy.  That also gives you the option to see if  the drop off from Murphy to Johnson is small or large.  While Jefferson supposedly can play both positions, until you know how they are using him its an unknown so to say there's no holes created is a stretch.   And again lets see first of all the DT's make it through healthy

Replacing a blocking TE like Smith with likely at best a mid round rookie and to say there's no hole created is more than a stretch.  I will though say I could see Sweeney taking Smiths spot as the blocking TE and also get better receiving from him than you'll get from Smith.  But again at this point maybe the coaches have an idea that could happen or something similar but for any fans to say they can do that with no drop off in talent is based on no real knowledge.   And again, let see if everyone makes it through camp first healthy, then start making cuts.

Likely there will be some vets cut this year when adding in the new additions, plus still have high draft picks, but these guys also may have got at least a small bonus for being on the roster on March 18th, so if you wanted to cut them,. should have done it prior, or wait things out.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

They need more offense.... they don’t have enough right now. Hoping they make another quality addition their via both the draft and FA.

I agree that they need more offense; I’m just optimistic in that the offense will come from players already on the team. I think Josh will take a step and become an “average” quarterback ranking wise. I think Knox and Sweeney will become very productive at tight end. I think that Motor will excel as the featured back. And most importantly, I think Ford will become a good offensive lineman (RT specifically). I think we did NEED a wideout and that Diggs fills that need. While there might be upgrades at other positions, I don’t feel like they are needs. 

but that’s just me. 

46 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That’s a lot of ifs/I think’s.

Just think they need more known commodities/better talent on offense. RT, TE, RB, and depth at WR specifically 

I am frequently accused of being overly optimistic. It can be a fault. 

• Thank you (+1) 1