Further Offensive Improvement

elijah

Is Diggs enough to make this offense strong enough to make a Super Bowl run? 

Right now I see a top 20 offense that should be consistent enough to ride a stronger defense than last year to a playoff victory or two. I don’t see a top 10 offense that can bail the defense out 2 or 3 times or compete with KC/Baltimore en route to the Super Bowl. 

We know that Beane isn’t tone deaf at this point and we know that he’s aware when things need to be addressed, but we’re  running out of cap space and lack a 1st round pick. 

Spotrac has us sitting around $25M cap space and $32M for the top 51, but that’s without Jefferson, Matavich & Taiwan Jones contracts factored in, so it’s closer to $15M & $22M.  

Cutting Murphy, Long and Lee Smith could bring that back up to around the $25M & $32M numbers. 

So, with that in mind, how do you want to see Beane round out the offense this offseason? 

I think a #2 RB, an improvement over Kroft as #2 TE, and a better #4 WR would pull the offense together into that top 10 unit.  You can never have too much O-Line depth either. 

In my dream scenario, Jonathan Taylor/JK Dobbins last until the early 2nd where we can trade up.  A WR like Travis Benjamin continues to slip in FA until they’re willing to sign for a value prove-it deal (1yr/$5M?) and TE can be addressed in the 3rd with a Hunter Bryant/Brycen Hopkins. 

What say you about where the offense is and where and where you want it to be? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

Right now I see a top 20 offense that should be consistent enough to ride a stronger defense than last year to a playoff victory or two. I don’t see a top 10 offense that can bail the defense out 2 or 3 times or compete with KC/Baltimore en route to the Super Bowl. 

We know that Beane isn’t tone deaf at this point and we know that he’s aware when things need to be addressed, but we’re  running out of cap space and lack a 1st round pick. 

Spotrac has us sitting around $25M cap space and $32M for the top 51, but that’s without Jefferson, Matavich & Taiwan Jones contracts factored in, so it’s closer to $15M & $22M.  

Cutting Murphy, Long and Lee Smith could bring that back up to around the $25M & $32M numbers. 

So, with that in mind, how do you want to see Beane round out the offense this offseason? 

I think a #2 RB, an improvement over Kroft as #2 TE, and a better #4 WR would pull the offense together into that top 10 unit.  You can never have too much O-Line depth either. 

In my dream scenario, Jonathan Taylor/JK Dobbins last until the early 2nd where we can trade up.  A WR like Travis Benjamin continues to slip in FA until they’re willing to sign for a value prove-it deal (1yr/$5M?) and TE can be addressed in the 3rd with a Hunter Bryant/Brycen Hopkins. 

good questions.  Here is what I would do:  get a FA (cheap) RB to platoon with Singletary.  Allows us to run at the end of the games.  I'd love another TE to pair with Knox, but we may have that.  In the 2nd, hope that Cleveland (OT) falls to us.  Having a OT on a rookie contact is a solid investment.  

I'd be okay taking another TE in the 3rd, but would rather go BPA then.  I don't think we need to reach for anything, and in the 3rd, there could be a good WR to take to replace Brown/Beasley in 2 yrs or so.  

• Like (+1) 1

They will get a couple of OL players on value deals like always, maybe a RB, but I believe that's all after that. The rest of the depth will be plugged through the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

good questions.  Here is what I would do:  get a FA (cheap) RB to platoon with Singletary.  Allows us to run at the end of the games.  I'd love another TE to pair with Knox, but we may have that.  In the 2nd, hope that Cleveland (OT) falls to us.  Having a OT on a rookie contact is a solid investment.  

I'd be okay taking another TE in the 3rd, but would rather go BPA then.  I don't think we need to reach for anything, and in the 3rd, there could be a good WR to take to replace Brown/Beasley in 2 yrs or so.  

Incredible that we have the flexibility to do this and prepare for the future like this, the teams came a long way under Beane 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d love to see Isaiah McKenzie signed to a 1 year deal at vet minimum. Could also see a guy like Quez Watkins tearing ***** up in the fourth round. 6’0 185 4.35 40, played for a small school, could be a diamond in the rough.That’d be a great way to round out that WR room. I also think a bell cow RB like Jonathan Taylor or JK Dobbins could take some serious pressure off of Josh Allen. I’m not convinced that Allen can carry an offense on his arm alone yet, he needs a strong running attack behind him and a good defense. Wouldn’t mind a true RT to the mix to groom behind Nsekhe, Ford goes in to RG. Plenty of room for improvement.

This team still needs to add a WR early in the draft and the TE situation is a bit shaky but I don't see them making a run for a vet TE given the Kroft extension and the faith they have in Knox. The offense needs to add a short yardage bruiser back and a WR for depth (given Brown's shaky injury history and the need to get younger behind Beasley, Brown and Diggs WR is still a need.) The offensive line also could use a depth player just to sure up things too. But right now in my opinion the major depth needs are for a role player bruising back and a WR behind the starting trio. 

30 minutes ago, elijah said:

So upgrading the backup RB, backup TE and backup WR, are going to take the Bills from a Top 20 offense to a Top 10 offense?

Fuzzy Math?

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 5

Unquestionably, the Bills need to add at least one quality rotational running back.  Beyond that improvement of the offense mostly depends on improvement from Josh Allen, and that is a wild card.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So upgrading the backup RB, backup TE and backup WR, are going to take the Bills from a Top 20 offense to a Top 10 offense?

Fuzzy Math?

Not exact numbers, but the point is that the stars and key contributors are there, now the depth is what’s needed to really lie this together and let them be a top unit 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, DJB said:

Christian McCaffrey 

I’m not sure we have the cap space or the assets to trade for CMac, and I’m not sure I would want to allocate that money to a RB even if we had the cap

20 minutes ago, elijah said:

I’m not sure we have the cap space or the assets to trade for CMac, and I’m not sure I would want to allocate that money to a RB even if we had the cap

It was simply a dream but unlikely  scenario

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This team still needs to add a WR early in the draft and the TE situation is a bit shaky but I don't see them making a run for a vet TE given the Kroft extension and the faith they have in Knox. The offense needs to add a short yardage bruiser back and a WR for depth (given Brown's shaky injury history and the need to get younger behind Beasley, Brown and Diggs WR is still a need.) The offensive line also could use a depth player just to sure up things too. But right now in my opinion the major depth needs are for a role player bruising back and a WR behind the starting trio. 

Croom, Smith, Knox, Kroft, Sweeney, Becker - Six TE on roster. I'd be surprised if we drafted one unless it's the BPA

Second half of the season, Josh and the offense was really figuring things out. Diggs is only going to improve things. I can see Buffalo picking up another RB and leading the league running the ball. I'm also salivating over seeing how our WRs compliment each other.  There is some serious speed on this team. Defenses will need 2 deep safeties.  Brown and Diggs will be open a lot if defenses don't.  Having serious deep threat receivers does a lot to help the run game too. Stack the box and get burned over the top....back the defense up to defend the deep ball and the running game and short passes rule the roost.

That doesn't mean we won't seek out another WR, OL, RB or TE.  Good teams have depth.  Whoever we pick up next may not need to be a starter, just a quality backup. This team is well on it's way to filling nearly every hole. Every position group has some serious talent too. Getting pumped. We may pick up players on defense too. Look for the weak links on the roster. Those are the guys that prime candidates to be replaced. Don't just look at starters. You have to look at who might be a liability as a backup as well.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, elijah said:

So you want to cut a solid OL backup in Long but then state you can never have too much OL depth? 

huh?  

• Like (+1) 1

The offense is fine.

There are plenty of weapons already and we still have the draft and basement bargain players to sign later. 
If you want to worry about the offense start a thread on if Daboll can utilize these guys and change up the philosophy from last year.