Jameis Winston as a backup QB?

alluro

It looks like Jameis Winston may be relegated to backup duties this year, and the Bills will be in the hunt for a playoff run. My contention is we need a solid backup behind Josh Allen, especially with how reckless he is with his body. Having Jameis would give us a nice safety net if the worst case scenario should arise, or if Allen proves he just doesn't have it after a good portion of the season goes by. Why not bring him in as a nice insurance policy?

I am against bringing him in as a backup for 2 reasons:

1)  Unless he has matured, he has shown in the past to be an immature guy.  He's not the type of "process" guy that would fit in well in the Bills' locker room.  Part of the secret to the Bills' success is team chemistry.

2)  Winston has talent and looks great at times.  If Allen gets injured and is out for a couple of games, Winston could step in and play really well.  Now, when Allen comes back, you have a QB controversy that disrupts the team chemistry.

• Like (+1) 3

Yes please, sign me up for an immediate QB controversy!    Return TSW to the glory days of Flutie v Johnson! 

:wallbash:

2 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Love it. He's a better quarterback than Barkley.

Who will happily sign a $2m year contract to sit on the bench?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, KD in CA said:

Yes please, sign me up for an immediate QB controversy!    Return TSW to the glory days of Flutie v Johnson! 

:wallbash:

Who will happily sign a $2m year contract to sit on the bench?

The controversy happened because neither was great. If Josh is the guy then there should be no problem with getting a decent backup.

• Like (+1) 1

I think i would rather go with some one like Josh Rosen yep i said it he hasn't been in any situation that was any where near stable enough for him to grow at all & given the perceived short comings of our Josh being his accuracy this could be a plus .

Coming out Rosen was one of the most accurate passers in college he also had a decent arm in AZ he had no O line to protect him he was getting killed & what good can you say about the Fins Fitz had all he could do to win 5 games so to this point the guy hasn't had a decent chance to settle in at all !

Josh Allen now has all the toys to give him a legit chance to be a really good NFL QB but if his short comings wind up being what they thought they were he could be the Bills next EJ & Barkley would not be a consideration for the Bills future if Rosen could be a really cheap pick up there is although it being a small chance a chance that he could possibly have the stability to pull off showing more than what he has to this point .

IMHO !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T master said:

I think i would rather go with some one like Josh Rosen yep i said it he hasn't been in any situation that was any where near stable enough for him to grow at all & given the perceived short comings of our Josh being his accuracy this could be a plus .

Coming out Rosen was one of the most accurate passers in college he also had a decent arm in AZ he had no O line to protect him he was getting killed & what good can you say about the Fins Fitz had all he could do to win 5 games so to this point the guy hasn't had a decent chance to settle in at all !

Josh Allen now has all the toys to give him a legit chance to be a really good NFL QB but if his short comings wind up being what they thought they were he could be the Bills next EJ & Barkley would not be a consideration for the Bills future if Rosen could be a really cheap pick up there is although it being a small chance a chance that he could possibly have the stability to pull off showing more than what he has to this point .

IMHO !! 

He's already better than EJ, though. I don't think havign someone on the roster that Josh has to look over his shoulder at is a good idea for his development.

2 minutes ago, T master said:

IMHO !! 

I'd agree with this.  Winston has ZERO desire to improve.  At the end of season press conference he said, "look at my stats, I'm balling."  Yeah, 30 INT's is NOT balling.  Rather get someone with an arm that wants to improve.  Winston would be okay as a backup I suppose, but he'd be pouting all the time.  

Upgrading backup QB really needs to be a consideration. I dont know if Winston is the right fit but we need a guy who can come in off the bench and win a game if needed and then potentially start a couple weeks. I don't think Barkley is that guy. As much as he stinks, Blake Bortles might be an option, he and Allen are similar and you wouldn't have to change the offense much.