Best WR Trio in the AFC, or in the League?

5 hours ago, Logic said:

My answer here is the same as what I commented on that Tweet: 

Duos and “whoever else” don’t count. The tweet said “TRIOS”.

Two WRs and a tight end don’t count, the tweet said “WR trios”. 

In the AFC, the Chiefs can make a good case. 

In the NFC, the Bucs and MAYBE the Cards (Fitzgerald is well past his prime) can make a good case.

At the very least, the Bills have a top 5 WR trio, and that’s something we couldn’t say last Sunday!

I agree.   I mean, anything could happen, but I've said a few places now that the Bills have a top 10 number 1 receiver, a top 10 number 2 receiver and a top 10 slot receiver.    Who else can say that?  

And that's why it comes back to Allen.   The right quarterback should thrive with a trio like that.   And it comes back to Daboll.   And back to the o line.   This team has this elite trio, and it has Singletary, who still has some upside, and everyone else has to do his job to take advantage of it.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

I've tried to tell you a couple times/ways.  Because Mahomes is at peak right now, maybe he'll get better but they're offense is already running on all cylinders and they use their tight ends and backs a lot.  Allen has more room to grow because he's not peaked like Mahomes.  So it stands to reason Beasley and Brown should do better as/if Allen does.  Watkins also downgrades their group because all 3 of our receivers are better than him.  

I agree about this.   Frankly, I think you also have to take into consideration the coaches.   Mahomes has a coach who's a master offensive planner and the Bills have Daboll.   And I'm not saying that put down Daboll.   All I'm saying is that from a coaching standpoint the Chiefs offense is also on all cylinders.    

Maybe Watkins-Beasley is a push.   Watkins is more talented, Beasley more consistently makes plays for you.  

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this is an excellent way to look at.  Take any trio and put them on the Chiefs with Mahomes.   I think it's tough to find a trio of wideouts Mahomes would want over these three.   They could be that good.   We could argue all day about it, because there are some other good trios, but for me the fact that each of the Bills has succeeded in the league at a consistently high level, and each is still playing at a high level.   That's tough to beat.   These three are guys who each have recently been top in their category (primary, secondary and slot), real threats, and they still play at that level.   Who else has that at all three positions?

It also appears we're not done.  

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree about this.   Frankly, I think you also have to take into consideration the coaches.   Mahomes has a coach who's a master offensive planner and the Bills have Daboll.   And I'm not saying that put down Daboll.   All I'm saying is that from a coaching standpoint the Chiefs offense is also on all cylinders.    

Maybe Watkins-Beasley is a push.   Watkins is more talented, Beasley more consistently makes plays for you.  

Watkins is definitely more physically talented, which makes him an under performer even more.  Also when Hill was  out for 4 games he had 14 catches for 167 yds and no TD's.  He doesn't step up.  Beasley had a very nice year and seemingly will only get better as a slot receiver with Diggs on the field now.  So there's considerably reason to believe he can be better. 

8 hours ago, Kaenon said:

With regards to the league:

TB with Evans, Godwin and anyone else.

ATL with Julio and Ridley, and anyone else.

AFC:

LAC with Allen, Williams and Patton

KC with Hill, Watkins and Hardman

Idk, there's quite a few good groups out there!

Don’t forget the Rams with Cook, Woods and Kupp .

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

neither.  Bills now have, collectively, 4 1000+ seasons among it's 3 WR over 19 combined player-years.

KC has 6/10 from Kelce and Hill alone. Tampa has 7 out of 9 from just Evans and Godwin.

That's a fair argument.   But I'd say that Brown has his best seasons playing as the #2, odd as it sounds.  When he's the number 1, his performance against the top corners and defenses generally seemed to slip.   And Diggs played on a team where he had to share the #1 role and that didn't want to be a passing team.  

Having said that, I have to say I haven't seen Godwin much, but Evans is really special - not flashy, but really, really good.   Any trio with him is a good trio. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

neither.  Bills now have, collectively, 4 1000+ seasons among it's 3 WR over 19 combined player-years.

KC has 6/10 from Kelce and Hill alone. Tampa has 7 out of 9 from just Evans and Godwin.

Kelce is a tight end.

The Tampa Bay receivers you mention form a DUO, not a TRIO.

Reading comprehension is hard.

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Kelce is a tight end.

I thought you explained that nicely early on.   And I think if you limit it to a wideout trio, there's a clear advantage over KC.   

However, you gotta admit that if you're talking about just three guys who lead your passing attack, KC's group with Kelce is right up there.   

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

Kelce is a tight end.

Receivers catch passes.  Lots of teams feature TE as receivers, even though the Bills never have.  That obviously surprises you.

Lots of things are hard.  This discussion isn't one of them.  Bail out.

With Diggs, Smoke, and Besley that is a hell of a trio at WR.  I listed the current trios for every team in the league.  I think we have a Top Five WR group.

Things will change some with Free Agency and this list does not include premier Tight Ends like Kelsey, Kittle, Ertz, Andrews, and Waller who play like WR1s for their team.  There are also some decent Free Agent WR out there like Anderson, Perriman, Sanders, Funchess, Taylor Gabriel, Demaryius Thomas, Agholor, Geronimo Allison who could alter the equation a bit.

I went ahead and highlighted the teams that I think are legitimately in the discussion for elite WR corps. I think there are 8 teams that can make a claim to be at the top.

My top Five +

1.  KC

2.  LA Rams

3.  Arizona

4.  Cleveland

5.  Buffalo

6. TB (Perriman likely gone in FA)

7. Jacksonville

8.  New Orleans

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/depth-chart/WR/

AFC                                                                                           

Baltimore    Marquise Brown, Willie Snead, Myles Boykin

Buffalo        Stefon Diggs,  John Brown,  Cole Beasley

Cincy           AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross,

Cleveland   Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, Damion Ratley

Denver        Courtland Sutton, DaeSean Hamilton, Tim patrick

Houston     Randall Cobb, Will Fuller, Kenny Stills

Indy             TY Hilton,  Zach Pascal, Paris Campbell

Jacksonv   DJ Chalk, Dede Westbrook, Chris Conley

KC               Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Mecole Hardman

LA Ch         Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Andre Patton

Las V         Tyrell Williams, Hunter Renfrow, Zay Jones

Miami        DeVante Parker, Preston WIlliams, Jakeem Grant

New Eng   Julian Edelman, Mohamed Sanu, N'Keal Harry

NYJ            Robby Anderson (Free Agent), Jamison Crowder, Preston Williams

Pitt            JuJu,  James Washington, Diontae Johnson

Tenn         AJ Brown, Corey Davis, Adam Humphries

NFC                                                                                              

Ariz         DeAndre Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk 

ATL         Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage

Carol      D.J. Moore, Curtis Samuel, Seth Roberts

CHI         Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller, Javon Wims

Dallas    Amari Cooper, Michael Gallop, Ced Wilson

Detroit   Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, Danny Amendola

GB         Davante Adams,  Alan Lazard, Valdez-Scantling

LAR       Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks

Minn     Adam Thielen, Bisi Johnson, Chad Beebe

NO        Michael Thomas, Ted Ginn, Tre'Quan Smith

NYG      Sterling Shepard, Golden Tate, Darius Slayton

Philly    Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, Greg Ward

Sea       Tyler Lockett, DJ metcalf, Malik Turner

TB        Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Breshad Perriman (Free Agent)

Wash   Terry McLaurin, Trey Quinn, Steven Simms

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

No, we shouldn't bring Clay Mathews in. 

Bills should do everything they can to sign Gurley,  he is the star player this team needs.  Has both speed and power,  worth dropping Smith & Murphy which saves us 10 mill and then add another 6-7 million.

End of the day Sean wants to run the ball and this guy is a true workhorse back,  your not getting that from Singeltary who is not fast or big

Right Niagara Dude?

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

No, we shouldn't bring Clay Mathews in. 

Bills should do everything they can to sign Gurley,  he is the star player this team needs.  Has both speed and power,  worth dropping Smith & Murphy which saves us 10 mill and then add another 6-7 million.

End of the day Sean wants to run the ball and this guy is a true workhorse back,  your not getting that from Singeltary who is not fast or big

Right Niagara Dude?

Apparently you have noticed that Gurley is a huge medical risk given his bad knees.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Apparently you have noticed that Gurley is a huge medical risk given his bad knees.

Just trying to mix things up. I thought I was on a Clay Mathews thread earlier, but it was switched to a Gurley thread. Not sure if the person switching topic in mid stream was looking for a LAMP moment or not. Maybe me calling him out is me attempting to have a LAMP moment. 

We need to upgrade our TE group.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I thought you explained that nicely early on.   And I think if you limit it to a wideout trio, there's a clear advantage over KC.   

However, you gotta admit that if you're talking about just three guys who lead your passing attack, KC's group with Kelce is right up there.   

Absolutely.

If the question is "pass catching trios", it's a whole different ballgame. At that point, San Francisco (Kittle, Sanders, Samuel) and Cleveland (OBJ, Landry, Hooper) enter the discussion as well, I think.

11 hours ago, MJS said:

The fact that we can ask this question is a good sign.

We've come a long way since the Donald Jones days

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I can see Watkins and Woods in 2014 perhaps.  Moulds-Evans in 04-05

The irony is that much of the offense in 2020 will be veteran players and not so much youth developed in their system.  Not an indictment of McBeane, just ironic considering that for many years here when Buffalo was inactive in UFA people responded with cries of you can't build through UFA. 

Moulds had peerless price for one magical year.

7 hours ago, Billl said:

A slot receiver is not a wide receiver any more than a full back is a tail back.  Wide Receivers line up out wide and on the LOS.  Slot receivers line up in the slot and off the LOS.  TEs line up on the end of the line.  Pretty simple stuff, but if being pedantic is your thing then you may as well go all in with it.

It's been a while since I've had anybody worthy of being blocked.  Your football knowledge is awe inspiring.

http://www.nfl.com/player/colebeasley/2535698/profile

Tell me Mr. Football genius, what does this link say he is.

• Like (+1) 1