Best WR Trio in the AFC, or in the League?

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am severely allergic to "on paper" proclamations ever since we signed Mario Williams and thought we had the best DL "on paper"

Best is as best does....play the games.

Understandable.. worth noting though, for a couple years (Petrine/Schwartz) the argument could easily have been made that we had the best DL

Mario - Kyle - Dareus - Jerry

Josh Allen was tied for last in the league in pocket time at 2.3 seconds. Pocket time is the seconds from snap until pocket collapses. If the Bills want to get the ball down the field to this suddenly top 5 or 10 wr group they need an improved offensive line. For whatever reason it has not been much of a priority this off-season. Morse is the only above average free agent lineman they have acquired in the last 3 years. I don't see much out there still to be had this free agency. A great offensive line elevates every offensive player imo.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Watkins is on the rise while Brown and Beasley leveled off?  Uh no.  The Chiefs offense has more opportunity to grow than ours?  Uh no.

And Beasley and Browns numbers crush Hardman and Watkins.  The only thing keeping it close are Hill's 2018 numbers and you think he's going to do more than 87 - 1479 - 12?  Uh no. 

Brown - 72 - 1060 - 6              Hardman - 26 - 538 - 6

Beasley - 67 - 778 - 6              Watkins - 52 - 673 - 3

Totals  -   139 - 1838 - 12           78 - 1211 - 9

Hardman was a rookie who started 5 games last year when Hill was hurt, and Tyreek was a RB in college 5 years ago.  Hardman turned 22 last week, and Tyreek turned 26 the week before that.  Brown and Beasley have a combined 14 years of experience in the NFL and will turn 30 and 31 years old next month.

How in the world do you come to the conclusion that Brown and Beasley have more room to grow than Hardman and Hill?

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Saw this and thought it would be worthy of discussion... Who has the best WR trio in the league/ AFC? 

I def dont think it is us and of course our revamped group needs to prove it

but

The thing is we were one of the WORST lastyear

Even if we moved into the top 10 of teams....a huge improvement...and what your really trying to achieve is balance between strength of offense and defense

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Funny how the same people who want to split hairs and say that Tight Ends who line up in the slot and split out wide at times shouldn’t count as WRs want to include slot receivers as WRs.  If you only want to include bonafide Wide Receivers in the conversation, then you can’t include anyone who doesn’t line up on the LOS.

Actually the slot Receiver is a WR. Cole Beasley is listed as a WR correct.

That really was a sad response.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Understandable.. worth noting though, for a couple years (Petrine/Schwartz) the argument could easily have been made that we had the best DL

Mario - Kyle - Dareus - Jerry

No argument.  We had the best DL.  Anyone who would argue would have to be drunk or insane.  Maybe both.

4 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Actually the slot Receiver is a WR. Cole Beasley is listed as a WR correct.

That really was a sad response.

No argument.  We had the best DL.  Anyone who would argue would have to be drunk or insane.  Maybe both.

A slot receiver is not a wide receiver any more than a full back is a tail back.  Wide Receivers line up out wide and on the LOS.  Slot receivers line up in the slot and off the LOS.  TEs line up on the end of the line.  Pretty simple stuff, but if being pedantic is your thing then you may as well go all in with it.

Edited by Billl
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Watkins is on the rise while Brown and Beasley leveled off?  Uh no.  The Chiefs offense has more opportunity to grow than ours?  Uh no.

And Beasley and Browns numbers crush Hardman and Watkins.  The only thing keeping it close are Hill's 2018 numbers and you think he's going to do more than 87 - 1479 - 12?  Uh no. 

Brown - 72 - 1060 - 6              Hardman - 26 - 538 - 6

Beasley - 67 - 778 - 6              Watkins - 52 - 673 - 3

Totals  -   139 - 1838 - 12           78 - 1211 - 9

How about you take a look at Watkins Playoff stats.  

I think both groups are great but I think our numbers would look different if we ran Reids Offense. TE and the RBs kinda of a big deal in the passing game.

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Hardman was a rookie who started 5 games last year when Hill was hurt, and Tyreek was a RB in college 5 years ago.  Hardman turned 22 last week, and Tyreek turned 26 the week before that.  Brown and Beasley have a combined 14 years of experience in the NFL and will turn 30 and 31 years old next month.

How in the world do you come to the conclusion that Brown and Beasley have more room to grow than Hardman and Hill?

Ok you're not a quick learner.  Want to do it that way?

Because Diggs is dominant compared to Watkins.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Ok you're not a quick learner.  Want to do it that way?

Because Diggs is dominant compared to Watkins.

Brown and Beasley have more room to improve than Hill and Hardman because Diggs is better than Watkins.  Got it.  That makes perfect sense.  Sorry I didn’t catch on more quickly.

4 hours ago, T master said:

A lot hinges on Allen, his knock coming out of college was his accuracy we all knew he has a cannon of a arm & he can prolong plays due to his athleticism & as long as the O line does their job he should have more than enough time to deliver but will he ? 

All of the tools he needs are at his disposal he has a decent running game 3 top notch WR's a decent O line & decent TE play,  i would say it's all on Josh at this point if you were to give Brees or any number of other QB's in the NFL this line up they would be tearing it up !

Josh has the work ethic & i believe with all my heart he is working on his short comings from last year with Palmer & i hope he is fixing what needs fixed if he holds up his end of the bargain it will be a really good year if he doesn't questions will be many from Bills fans !! 

Does the Pandemic interfere with offseason workouts? I’d have thought Josh & Stefon would have hooked up already..

27 minutes ago, Billl said:

Brown and Beasley have more room to improve than Hill and Hardman because Diggs is better than Watkins.  Got it.  That makes perfect sense.  Sorry I didn’t catch on more quickly.

I'll try one more time but I think you're just trying to be.... you know. 

Brown, Beasley and Diggs had better stats than Hill, Hardman and Watkins last year even if you use Hill's 2018 stats which were unbelievable.  The likelihood of him passing those incredible numbers are small - they were that good.  Based on the numbers, they're just as dangerous of a set as the Chiefs. 

Of course Allen has to perform for Diggs as Cousins did and that will take time.  Said another way if we swapped the 3 receivers with the Chiefs, Mahomes could perform with them as he did or better with our receivers.  They are a dangerous group.  It all comes down to Allen performing. 

2 hours ago, Billl said:

I've tried to tell you a couple times/ways.  Because Mahomes is at peak right now, maybe he'll get better but they're offense is already running on all cylinders and they use their tight ends and backs a lot.  Allen has more room to grow because he's not peaked like Mahomes.  So it stands to reason Beasley and Brown should do better as/if Allen does.  Watkins also downgrades their group because all 3 of our receivers are better than him.  

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Saw this and thought it would be worthy of discussion... Who has the best WR trio in the league/ AFC? 

If Dallas signs Emmanuel Sanders as is rumored with Gallup, Sanders, and Cooper I’d say their one but Buffalo is a solid top 3 as The Rams are still really good with Cupp, Cooks, and Woods as well

50 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I'll try one more time but I think you're just trying to be.... you know. 

Brown, Beasley and Diggs had better stats than Hill, Hardman and Watkins last year even if you use Hill's 2018 stats which were unbelievable.  The likelihood of him passing those incredible numbers are small - they were that good.  Based on the numbers, they're just as dangerous of a set as the Chiefs. 

Of course Allen has to perform for Diggs as Cousins did and that will take time.  Said another way if we swapped the 3 receivers with the Chiefs, Mahomes could perform with them as he did or better with our receivers.  They are a dangerous group.  It all comes down to Allen performing. 

I think this is an excellent way to look at.  Take any trio and put them on the Chiefs with Mahomes.   I think it's tough to find a trio of wideouts Mahomes would want over these three.   They could be that good.   We could argue all day about it, because there are some other good trios, but for me the fact that each of the Bills has succeeded in the league at a consistently high level, and each is still playing at a high level.   That's tough to beat.   These three are guys who each have recently been top in their category (primary, secondary and slot), real threats, and they still play at that level.   Who else has that at all three positions?