Best WR Trio in the AFC, or in the League?

17 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

At the least, Diggs and Brown represent the best 1-2 X and Z combo in probably a decade plus.  Difference is I think they've got a QB who'll get them the ball.

I think I read that Buffalo now has the 3rd most money invested at the WR position.  That guarantees nothing, but it's a move toward where the league has gone toward passing-driven offenses.

Opposing secondaries will need to respect that where previously they didn't.   

Evans and TO.  And Sammy before the injuries and Woods was very good too.  Honestly, receiver hasn’t really been the proud with the franchise.  We just have had qbs that waste them. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

Last several super bowl teams. Most common configuration I see is strong TE and strong #1 or balanced #1 and #2. 

KC: Hill, Watkins, Robinson or Hill, Kelce

SF: Sanders, Samuel, Pettis or Sanders/Samuel. Kittle

NE: Edelman, Hogan, Gordon/Dorsett or Edelman, Gronk

LAR: Woods, Cooks, Cupp or Cooks/Woods, Higbee

NE: Cooks, Amendola, Hogan or Cooks, Gronk

PHI: Jeffery, Agholor, Smitth or Jeffery, Ertz

NE: Edelman, Amendola, Hogan or Edelman, Gronk/Bennett

ATL: Jones, Sanu, Gabriel or Jones, Tamme/Hooper

DEN: Thomas, Sanders, Norwood or Thomas, Daniels

CAR: Ginn, Funchess, Brown or Ginn, Olsen

NE: Edelman, Lafell, Amendola or Edelman, Gronk

SEA: Baldwin, Kearse, Richardson or Baldwin, Wilson

Really depends on what the other trios look like when the dust settles:

Tampa: Evans, Godwin, ???

Cleveland: OBJ, Landry, ???

Kansas: Tyreek, Sammy, Hardman/rookie

Dallas: Cooper, Gallup, ???

Atlanta: Julio, Ridley, ???

Arizona: Hopkins, Fitz, Kirk

Rams: Kupp, Woods, Cooks

Assuming they get a decent #3 option, I think Tampa, Cleveland, KC, and Arizona are probably better. We'll see if the Rams ultimately keep Cooks or not; if they do, they're better as well.

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Diggs isn't far off from Hopkins, talent wise.  Better route runner too . We got a dominant # 1.  People might say "but he had Thielen" . Yes , and still had the opposing defenses #1 CB on Diggs every week. Hopkins had Stills AND Fuller. 

Diggs also has been very good in the playoffs last 2 years. And Diggs cost much less than Hopkins. 

Defenses are going to struggle mightily . You take Diggs away? Brown will kill you 1 on 1 . Take away the deep ball? Beasley will kill you underneath. Play us straight up ? Diggs will kill the opposing CB . . I love this offense , once Dabol went to 3 WR sets , Allen had so much more success . We have a top 3 trio now.  Each capable of 100+ yards any given week . 

Last year in playoffs 

Diggs caught 2 for 19 on 3 targets in one game and 2 for 57 on 4 targets in the other.

Just keeping the conversation honest.

21 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Diggs isn't far off from Hopkins, talent wise.  Better route runner too . We got a dominant # 1.  People might say "but he had Thielen" . Yes , and still had the opposing defenses #1 CB on Diggs every week. Hopkins had Stills AND Fuller. 

Diggs also has been very good in the playoffs last 2 years. And Diggs cost much less than Hopkins. 

Defenses are going to struggle mightily . You take Diggs away? Brown will kill you 1 on 1 . Take away the deep ball? Beasley will kill you underneath. Play us straight up ? Diggs will kill the opposing CB . . I love this offense , once Dabol went to 3 WR sets , Allen had so much more success . We have a top 3 trio now.  Each capable of 100+ yards any given week . 

Um, yes he is. Hopkins is thought time be possibly the best receiver in the nfl and has size. Diggs wasn’t even the best receiver on his team. Diggs is talented but let’s not just make things up. 

They’ll be a very good WR group. That’s something you haven’t been able to say about the Bills in awhile. That will matter for opposing defenses.  Best in the league? Rankings? Doesn’t mean a thing, so who cares? It’s a WR corps that should be good enough to compete for a championship. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

They’ll be a very good WR group. That’s something you haven’t been able to say about the Bills in awhile. That will matter for opposing defenses.  Best in the league? Rankings? Doesn’t mean a thing, so who cares? It’s a WR corps that should be good enough to compete for a championship. 

Watkins, Woods, Hogan, Goodwin.  Rarely has receivers been the problem with the Bills.  

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Watkins, Woods, Hogan, Goodwin.  Rarely has receivers been the problem with the Bills.  

Issue with that group was health. And then the position went severely downhill. Glad it's returning to form, hopefully with more availability!

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yep, that was the last good group, was awhile ago now. Sure they’ve had good WRs in the past, but lacked talent elsewhere such as QB. They’ve had issues at WR in recent seasons for sure. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

If you look at strictly Stats ours are better: 

Fitz, Kirk, Hop: 2,678 yards, 14TD's

Brown, Diggs, Beasley: 2,968 yards, 18TD's

But even beyond that, I think Brown is significantly better than Fitz (at this stage) Beasley is at least equal with Kirk, probably better. And where Hopkins is better than Diggs, I don't think it's a runaway... 

great points.  I’d also take Diggs over Hopkins.  More complete WR Imo.  but close either way.  

28 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Really depends on what the other trios look like when the dust settles:

Tampa: Evans, Godwin, ???

Cleveland: OBJ, Landry, ???

Kansas: Tyreek, Sammy, Hardman/rookie

Dallas: Cooper, Gallup, ???

Atlanta: Julio, Ridley, ???

Arizona: Hopkins, Fitz, Kirk

Rams: Kupp, Woods, Cooks

Assuming they get a decent #3 option, I think Tampa, Cleveland, KC, and Arizona are probably better. We'll see if the Rams ultimately keep Cooks or not; if they do, they're better as well.

we have a solid 3 and a good TE in Knox.  

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Evans and TO.  And Sammy before the injuries and Woods was very good too.  Honestly, receiver hasn’t really been the proud with the franchise.  We just have had qbs that waste them. 

I can see Watkins and Woods in 2014 perhaps.  Moulds-Evans in 04-05

The irony is that much of the offense in 2020 will be veteran players and not so much youth developed in their system.  Not an indictment of McBeane, just ironic considering that for many years here when Buffalo was inactive in UFA people responded with cries of you can't build through UFA. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

I can see Watkins and Woods in 2014 perhaps.  Moulds-Evans in 04-05

The irony is that much of the offense in 2020 will be veteran players and not so much youth developed in their system.  Not an indictment of McBeane, just ironic considering that for many years here when Buffalo was inactive in UFA people responded with cries of you can't build through UFA. 

Based on how they have drafted offensive players, it’s better they are signing FAs.  

57 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The upside is with them. Beasley and Brown are maxed out in terms of production. Both of their numbers will fall next year playing with Diggs.

Watkins is on the rise while Brown and Beasley leveled off?  Uh no.  The Chiefs offense has more opportunity to grow than ours?  Uh no.

And Beasley and Browns numbers crush Hardman and Watkins.  The only thing keeping it close are Hill's 2018 numbers and you think he's going to do more than 87 - 1479 - 12?  Uh no. 

Brown - 72 - 1060 - 6              Hardman - 26 - 538 - 6

Beasley - 67 - 778 - 6              Watkins - 52 - 673 - 3

Totals  -   139 - 1838 - 12           78 - 1211 - 9

Edited by White Linen
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Watkins is on the rise while Brown and Beasley leveled off?  Uh no.  The Chiefs offense has more opportunity to grow than ours?  Uh no.

And Beasley and Browns numbers crush Hardman and Watkins.  The only thing keeping it close are Hill's 2018 numbers and you think he's going to do more than 87 - 1479 - 12?  Uh no. 

Brown - 72 - 1060 - 6              Hardman - 26 - 538 - 6

Beasley - 67 - 778 - 6              Watkins - 52 - 673 - 3

Totals  -   139 - 1838 - 12           78 - 1211 - 9

Hardman was a rookie last year. Cole and Brown are vets. Hardman has more upside than both.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

I didn't open the article (personal PFF boycott), but assume the concluding sentence ends with, "... but the world will never know because their QB is Josh Allen."

Seriously - I am certain the PFF praise of the Bills receivers is absolutely a setup to justify their initial take on Josh Allen - not kidding even a little.

• Like (+1) 1

As pure receivers, I would take our guys over KC.  KC to me is speed and deep routes.  Their route trees and contested catches are nowhere near our guys.  

However, that’s just how their offense works. Our guys would fail in their system and vice versa.  

As pure receivers, I would take the Bills

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Saw this and thought it would be worthy of discussion... Who has the best WR trio in the league/ AFC? 

I am severely allergic to "on paper" proclamations ever since we signed Mario Williams and thought we had the best DL "on paper"

Best is as best does....play the games.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Seriously - I am certain the PFF praise of the Bills receivers is absolutely a setup to justify their initial take on Josh Allen - not kidding even a little.

Or, and I'm just spit balling here, it could be due to them having Beasley (the worst of the 3) rated as the #36 WR in the league.

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

Topic about WR trios......

everyone talking about TEs and RBs....

dies

1 hour ago, Logic said:

My answer here is the same as what I commented on that Tweet: 

Duos and “whoever else” don’t count. The tweet said “TRIOS”.

Two WRs and a tight end don’t count, the tweet said “WR trios”. 

In the AFC, the Chiefs can make a good case. 

In the NFC, the Bucs and MAYBE the Cards (Fitzgerald is well past his prime) can make a good case.

At the very least, the Bills have a top 5 WR trio, and that’s something we couldn’t say last Sunday!

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Who is the 3rd WR.  I see a TE and some RBs.

Funny how the same people who want to split hairs and say that Tight Ends who line up in the slot and split out wide at times shouldn’t count as WRs want to include slot receivers as WRs.  If you only want to include bonafide Wide Receivers in the conversation, then you can’t include anyone who doesn’t line up on the LOS.