Trent Murphy upped his game late last season and is better than many think

4 hours ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I just can't believe that the Bills would cut Trent Murphy after patiently waiting almost 2 years for the pre-surgery player to show up.  He'll get at least training camp and the pre-season games to prove that the end of last season wasn't a mirage.  Like Poyer, he might even get extended.

I think that you might be right here

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Good - hes motivated.  At the end of the day, its an important year.  Hughes, Addison, Murphys not a bad 3 man rotation.  We have to have a rookie we like so much that we are comfortable cutting him.  

You're forgetting Bam Johnson.

As of now, there are 9 DLs on the roster, and only 1 under 25 yrs of age.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Jefferson can play anywhere on the line evidently. Bills have a pretty solid rotation and depth.

I'm more concerned about the o line to be honest. They were not as good a unit as the d line was last year and nothing has been done to change that at all. They are hoping they improve with continuity and experience, I hope they are right.

To say they'e done nothing isn't true, they've allowed Ford to gain a year of experience which is no small thing for a rookie.  Plus have got a year of experience playing together.  Last year Morse missed all of the off-season, so they will improve.  Their depth is also better as beyond the starting five have Waddle, Bates, Long and Ty.  Admittedly if they do draft a guy, one of those 4 will be gone, or maybe Bates goes to PS assuming he passes waivers or maybe they can trade one for another 5th or 6th rounder.

Unless they signed one of the high priced guys, not likely to see any improvement there anyway on the O-line.  Likely will draft someone fairly high to be Feleciano's replacement next off-season when he's a FA.  They will either draft a guard to directly replace him,or a RT and then move Ford inside

5 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

If that 8M goes to a guy that's better then we are in the business of winning. 

Are we going to get a better DE for 8M or less?

4 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

When they are gone, it will be someone else.

I can't wait for the hype on the UDFA WR who will be a star.

He's still here. :D

Edited by Dopey
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Murphy (and Star) get paid too much for what they do.  You can't keep Murphy at $8M/year.  Murphy had a good game vs Houston and now all of a sudden he is clutch.  The rest of the year he wasn't anything spectacular.  Counting on Murphy and Star to make your defense stout is like counting on a car air freshener to make an outhouse smell good.

I can't believe some are saying we were a top 6 defense in spite of these players. Hey guys, can we stay on topic and discuss Murphy? Star had his thread. 

Just now, dneveu said:

Oliver, Phillips, Johnson... Butler is 25... Jefferson and Love are 26...

Sorry, meant only 1 DE is under 25.  If you add Love, that's 10 DLs at the moment.  Do you think they don't draft another DE?  Who's the odd man out?

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Then at least don't play him greater than 33% of the snaps, if that.  Having guys like Star and Murphy simply means you have depth, that's it.

This thread is about Murphy. 1 pitch fork at a time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Sorry, meant only 1 DE is under 25.  If you add Love, that's 10 DLs at the moment.  Do you think they don't draft another DE?  Who's the odd man out?

Johnson and love would be the odd men out if they draft someone in round 2 or 3.  They need to push a veteran out of a spot in a heavily rotated position.  To take murphys 3rd DE spot, they need to have flexibility to play both sides, need to be able to play rush and pass downs, as well as special teams.  

Both can be on the practice squad though

Edited by dneveu

19 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

To say they'e done nothing isn't true, they've allowed Ford to gain a year of experience which is no small thing for a rookie.  Plus have got a year of experience playing together.  Last year Morse missed all of the off-season, so they will improve.  Their depth is also better as beyond the starting five have Waddle, Bates, Long and Ty.  Admittedly if they do draft a guy, one of those 4 will be gone, or maybe Bates goes to PS assuming he passes waivers or maybe they can trade one for another 5th or 6th rounder.

Unless they signed one of the high priced guys, not likely to see any improvement there anyway on the O-line.  Likely will draft someone fairly high to be Feleciano's replacement next off-season when he's a FA.  They will either draft a guard to directly replace him,or a RT and then move Ford inside

Bulaga signed for 10 mil per, Graham Glasgow for 11. Both of those guys were huge upgrades and hardly high priced. Especially when you are willing to pay 9 mil to an average dt (Butler) to play part time.

If allowing the same five guys who comprised a below average line last year to play another year together is 'doing something'..........

Edited by Turk71

I saw a major improvement later in the year. If he is 100 percent healthy for a full off-season and regular year, I believe he could still be valuable to this defense. Still would like to add an edge to infuse some youth in the position room.

7 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Bulaga signed for 10 mil per, Graham Glasgow for 11. Both of those guys were huge upgrades and hardly high priced. Especially when you are willing to pay 9 mil to an average dt (Butler) to play part time.

If allowing the same five guys who comprised a below average line last year to play another year together is 'doing something'..........

So the only way this makes any sense at all is if you signed him, then move Ford to guard and no re-sign Spain.  You don't draft a guy in the 2nd round who showed quite a bit of promise , then bench him the following season so Ford will be starting.  At the better option is to build through the draft.

I wouldn't call the line below average.

41 minutes ago, GG said:

You're forgetting Bam Johnson.

As of now, there are 9 DLs on the roster, and only 1 under 25 yrs of age.

Two surely? Johnson and Oliver? 

27 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I can't believe some are saying we were a top 6 defense in spite of these players. Hey guys, can we stay on topic and discuss Murphy? Star had his thread. 

It is despite Murphy. Star has a role he is just overpaid. Murphy is crap. 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

So Murphy isn’t even an NFL player at this point? Or he’s so bad that he can’t even be a DE3 or DE4 on a good team?

This is waaaaay out there for you.

He IS a DE3 or DE4.  I NEVER said he wasn't an NFL player, just that he is not a starter or even should see greater than 25% of snaps.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’m pretty sure that if Murphy was as bad as you say, he would have led all of our defensive lineman in snaps.

Murphy played as much as he did because the DE/edge position really wasn't addressed last year.  Murphy was overvalued by Beane/McD in 2017.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

This thread is about Murphy. 1 pitch fork at a time.

Will do, thread shepherd.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude is Chris Kelsey.  Not the worst but so easily replaceable for so much cheaper.  He had 3 sacks until that ? fest last game.  He has 24 sacks in 5 years, 10 FF, and 1 int.   He is a JAG and his best feature is setting the edge, which is something you don’t need to spend big money on.

this regime has done some really good things.  But they have some outdated views on football with the Star, Murphy, and need for a veteran rb. 

Maybe the issue here is more about the understanding of the responsibilities of the LDE in Sean's scheme. Just something for you to consider. And 8 mil per season is jack squat. Also, I doubt he had many "numbers" in the game, but Murphy played fantastic vs. the Ravens this past season, as an example of what Sean wanted out of his LDE.

Edited by 34-78-83

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

He IS a DE3 or DE4.  I NEVER said he wasn't an NFL player, just that he is not a starter or even should see greater than 25% of snaps.

Murphy played as much as he did because the DE/edge position really wasn't addressed last year.  Murphy was overvalued by Beane/McD in 2017.

Will do, thread shepherd.

Well, you said that you can’t have Murphy on the team and be a SB contender, so you can imagine why that’s the impression someone gets.

Also, on how many teams does the DE3 (or DE4) actually see 25% of the snaps or less?

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, you said that you can’t have Murphy on the team and be a SB contender, so you can imagine why that’s the impression someone gets.

Also, on how many teams does the DE3 (or DE4) actually see 25% of the snaps or less?

Didn't mean to give the wrong impression, Murphy is DE depth.

Second sentence: no idea, probably not many.  My point is that he is basically a depth player that is used only as needed.  Not part of the planned rotation.

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

He always seemed to be a half step too late in making any impactful plays. 

Because Murphy is trying to get back into the play from the RT pushing him 10 yards away from the action.

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm glad someone sees the big picture.

Murphy is worth $15-20M/year?  Now I know you've jumped the shark.

you're misreading what he said.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He completely padded his stats with one game.  He was invisible for most of the season.  And Shaq is a younger, ascending player who has rarely been hurt.  I didn’t want to pay him that much but I do wonder if we didn’t have Trent, would we have?  Because I would rather have Shaq than Kelsey 2.0. 

This simply isn't true (in the, you know, factual sense). The production was consistent over the course of the final six games.