Trent Murphy upped his game late last season and is better than many think

20 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Why didn't they build the defensive front in 2017, yet they picked up Poyer, Hyde, and Tre?

Green Bay screwed up with Hyde, their loss is our gain.

Your words, not mine.  All I said was McD and Frazier have a DB centric view of defense, which they do.

So lets get this straight.  Even though in the last 2 years, they've focused on the defensive line with the signings of Star, Murphy, Addison, Jefferson and Butler, J. Phillips....then drafted 2 defensive tackles high in both Oliver and H Phillips.  But since in 2017 they weren't focused on the DL....that means they are DB centric?

McDermott relies heavily on a strong DL rotation....hence why we've added 8 new pieces in 2 seasons.  I don't think they have a centric view on any positional unit.

You used Murphy not being very good because Washington didn't retain him.  I used your SAME exact analogy for Micah Hyde and Green Bay....literally the same.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He definitely played better late last year. I thought there was no chance that he was coming back this year. At this point I believe that he will be back. With that being said if the Bills were to chase Clowney or Ngakoue Murphy’s release will definitely be a part of that. The $8M of space from him would be needed.

Murphy and Harrison Phillips will complete the package the coaches want for 2020.

9 hours ago, SoTier said:

I think that Clowney's injury history is what is keeping teams from considering him at present.  They aren't going to make a deal with him unless they can have their own doctors give him a physical -- and that's not going to change for some time to come.

I'm posting this here, as I can't see another place it fits, and I'm not sure it deserves its own thread.  I may change my mind and start one later, if this doesn't get any action here.

All this talk about not being able to conduct physicals makes little sense to me. Yes, it complicates the process a bit, but they can't figure out a way to get this done remotely? There are no decent local doctors (virtually anywhere) who would be willing to work with the team doctor linked in remotely? Ever hear or telemedicine? Why can't the team doctor be there, on facetime/skype or some medical equivalent? Xrays, ultrasound results, etc, can be transmitted virtually instantly to the team doctor. He can ask the local doctor to check this, or that. I just don't see this as being a huge issue, yet I've heard nobody suggest this as a solution.

What am I missing here?

9 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

He had 3 sacks up until last game against Jets,  how can you justify 10 million for that kind of production and he is very weak against the run. People taking about his great playoff game should review the TD run where he could not bring down Watson.  You take the 8 million savings and add 5-6 and you could sign an upgrade

Bills should do everything they can to sign Gurley,  he is the star player this team needs.  Has both speed and power,  worth dropping Smith & Murphy which saves us 10 mill and then add another 6-7 million.

End of the day Sean wants to run the ball and this guy is a true workhorse back,  your not getting that from Singeltary who is not fast or big.

Don't you agree, Dude?

13 hours ago, dneveu said:

Are we saving money or trying to win football games?

If we cut all our starters and bring in bums of the street maybe we can win the World Accountant Olympics lol

13 hours ago, dneveu said:

Are we saving money or trying to win football games?

If we cut all our starters and bring in bums of the street maybe we can win the World Accountant Olympics lol

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dopey said:

Bills should do everything they can to sign Gurley,  he is the star player this team needs.  Has both speed and power,  worth dropping Smith & Murphy which saves us 10 mill and then add another 6-7 million.

End of the day Sean wants to run the ball and this guy is a true workhorse back,  your not getting that from Singeltary who is not fast or big.

Don't you agree, Dude?

Since the Bills aren't up against the cap, why do the Bills need to cut Murphy, a DE, and Smith, a TE, in order to sign Gurly, a RB?   They will still need a DE and a TE.   Moreover, Gurley is not going to get the kind of contract from his new team that he got from LA since the top of the RB has dropped significantly.

I would love the Bills to sign Gurley.  It's entirely doable from a cap perspective but it might not be the right fit from either the Bills' or Gurley's perspective.

7 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

?  Apparently some fans have enjoyed the past twenty years of the Bills sacrificing wins for profits a whole more than you or me. 

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But he couldn't seal an edge if he had a bucket full of sealant. Cut him. Move on. We should expect better. 

And this is my issue.  He cheated inside too often - resulted in some nice sacks but he got burned more than any other lineman, based on my untrained eye.  Drove me nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

And this is my issue.  He cheated inside too often - resulted in some nice sacks but he got burned more than any other lineman, based on my untrained eye.  Drove me nuts.

That is exactly what I saw as well Coach. To me he looks like he is a guy who knows he isn't gonna beat anyone with speed or moves and he isn't a great reader of the play so he just cheats on every snap. It resulted in a couple of big plays for the defense over the course of the year but I can think of 3 or 4 drives off the top of my head - the Giants opening scoring drive, the Dallas opening scoring drive, there was a Baltimore drive middle of that game and there was a drive in the first Miami game where he was responsible for giving up huge plays against us.